Vehicle comparison

Rod Caster

27 members have voted

1. 1. Which one would you buy

• 2004 Toyota 4Runner
    • 2004 Volkswagen Toureg
    • 2004 Nissan Xterra

Thanks Raf, how about the Grand 1999-2004, 2005-2010 generations? Bulletproof still?

Phil,

I have had 3 Grand Cherokee's over the past 12 years. A 4.0L I6, a 3.7 V6 and a 4.7 V8. The 3.7 while OK mechanically was the weakest engine of the 3 and actually used more gas while towing than my current V8. Around town the V8 will use a little more gas though. If you don't mind a 6-7 year old one get a 4.0L. If you want something more current get the 4.7L V8. Bear in mind that the Hemi's are much worse on fuel.

I'm scared poopless of chrysler products. I know the Jeeps are better built than say an Avenger but with their track record and the fact that they will probably eventually become extinct I'd rather avoid anything with a Chrysler stamp on it.

The new GC is sure a nice looking SUV! I'll admit that.

Like I said, do you want a tough go anywhere 4WD SUV or do you want a poseur "school run" vehicle a la Lexus or Acura? As Raf said if there is one brand that is not going to disappear anytime soon it is Jeep.

Like I said, do you want a tough go anywhere 4WD SUV or do you want a poseur "school run" vehicle a la Lexus or Acura? As Raf said if there is one brand that is not going to disappear anytime soon it is Jeep.

I answered that question in an earlier post. Plus the three options in the poll represent a good off road/on road compromise. Not much the Jeep can do that the 4runner can't. Except run out of gas quicker haha jk.

I answered that question in an earlier post. Plus the three options in the poll represent a good off road/on road compromise. Not much the Jeep can do that the 4runner can't. Except run out of gas quicker haha jk.

JK Rubicon wrangler (stock), is not comparable to ANY suv in terms of off road capability, There is a reason it was voted best 4x4 of the decade. But you'll sacrifice a smooth ride during day to day driving, but if your using it for logging roads and gettin to back lakes it really is basically an over sized ATV.

And yes I have a JK LOL :whistling:

I do also like the 4runner, and am thinking of getting one for my wife.

Do a search and compare xterras vs jeeps(wrangler). Start with the suspension, drivetrain, add ons ect...

4runner without question will be more reliable than the jeep, but they really are different creatures.

Good luck with your search.

R

The old X after deer hunting, and yes you could fit a deer in the back with the seats down LOL

Edited by Rustic-Fisher

if you are considering the xterra, i would definitely look at the 2005+ models as that is when it was re-designed. they put the VQ 4.0L V6 in there which is supposed to be one of the best engines out there. also has 265hp and 5000lb towing capacity. i currently own a 2005 xterra, offroad version with locking differential and have had no problems with it after 170000K. did the friont brakes at 125K and still on original clutch and i do alot of towing every summer. if i had to buy new, i would buy the same again.

if you are considering the xterra, i would definitely look at the 2005+ models as that is when it was re-designed. they put the VQ 4.0L V6 in there which is supposed to be one of the best engines out there. also has 265hp and 5000lb towing capacity. i currently own a 2005 xterra, offroad version with locking differential and have had no problems with it after 170000K. did the friont brakes at 125K and still on original clutch and i do alot of towing every summer. if i had to buy new, i would buy the same again.

Great reply. Thank you.

Phil,

I have had 3 Grand Cherokee's over the past 12 years. A 4.0L I6, a 3.7 V6 and a 4.7 V8. The 3.7 while OK mechanically was the weakest engine of the 3 and actually used more gas while towing than my current V8. Around town the V8 will use a little more gas though. If you don't mind a 6-7 year old one get a 4.0L. If you want something more current get the 4.7L V8. Bear in mind that the Hemi's are much worse on fuel.

Thanks John! Don't need a pickup as my lifestyle has changed (KIDS)... but my want for a V8 has not!

Best answer yet. The Cherokees are bulletproof, everything from the engine down to the diffs.. If you want something to get dirty and go to all the nasty places, this is it.

Also, forget fuel mileage, SUV's usually suck (Especially the Supercharged Xterra, lol)

+1

My jeep is great other than 18.5 l per 100 in the city and 14 on the hwy :)

Thanks John! Don't need a pickup as my lifestyle has changed (KIDS)... but my want for a V8 has not!

a 4 door pick up has the same people capacity as an SUV... added benefit is stronger engine, suspension, transmission and bigger brakes...

plus additional storage space... much easier to carry hockey gear, strollers etc... in the back of a pick up compared to an SUV...

add in the cost of a tonneau or a cap and it's still a better way to go when you put it all in perspective

plus trucks have a lower roll over rating compared to SUVs....

i would stay away from the vw, especially the 2004. They look amazing and drive amazing (especially the v10tdi) but they have had soooo many warranty issues that I've heard rumors of owners tempted to take them straight to the junker when they go out of warranty because of so many little issues. This is from my experience working at a vw dealership