How many of you actually eat your catches?

shimano25

Funny no one mentioned Carp! :rofl2:

If I won't eat it, I won't target it...

Favourites are Perch, Crappie, Pike, Salmon, Lake Trout, Rainbow and sometimes Whitefish. I will supplement a camping meal with a freshly caugh Largemouth bass - but wouldn't bring them home ordinarily.

Don't target them then. I love carp haters. :clapping:

<br />When I ate fresh water fish,my main fish were perch,crappie and whitefish.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

Like Brian...I prefer salt water seafood...But will eat a meal of perch, crappie, bluegill, and smallmouths (in the 2 to 2 1/2 lb range)...

i only eat warm water species like walley and perch blue gill and crappy . however when i travel to the states i take my limmit of salmon down and when i leave i seem to always come home with about 40lb of stripper bass ..(i dont know who is coming out better on this deal whistling.gifsarcasm.gifrofl2.gif

When fishing in my local spots I release all of the fish I catch, with the exception of 1 or 2 fish a year that are hooked to deeply to survive. Most of my more local spots are in southern Ontario so I figure they already receive enough harvest pressure.

On the occasional trips to more northern, or remote areas, where the populations are stronger I will take the odd fish here and there.

I love walleye and crappie. Perch and Northern are good as well. I eat quite a bit during the year but only eater size. Unfortunately in SW Ontario she's slim picking for clean water.

I never freeze fish though just keep enough for the day's meal...usually its barely enough for a meal anyhow :wallbash:

Edited by scugog

haha just means if me or my buddy catch one we might split it. or one year Il keep one the next I wont kind of thing haha. depends on the mood I am in

Thanks FM, though I was only kidding it did kind of leave you wondering. ;)

For all I knew you may have been taking off one fillet and letting 'em go...... (J/K) rofl2.gif

Thanks FM, though I was only kidding it did kind of leave you wondering. ;)

For all I knew you may have been taking off one fillet and letting 'em go...... (J/K) rofl2.gif

haha well the way my buddy fillets fish you might as well just take one fillet and release them lol.. thats why when Im in the mood to I'll end up doing it

The wife and I only keep what we want to eat. In a typical year we probably consume about 24 Walleye, 12 Perch, 12 Smallmouth, 6 Lake Trout.

Any large examples get released. We only keep Walleye between 15-18", Smallmouth between 12-16", Perch 11-12", Lake Trout between 16-18". All Northern, Muskie, Crappie and Rock Bass go back.

We fish about 130 days out of every year.

Edited by Old Man

I never keep fish in the freezer and when I come home with some I usually clean them and in the pan they go. My favorite species has to be speckles... especially the ones I use to catch during hard water season (pretty rare now a days since trout is closed during winter and no license outfitter to go to :wallbash: ).

Nothing better then a freshly caught speck on ice B) Walleye is my second choice followed by catfish (babotte in French) but I mostly practice catch & release most times :)

Leechman

for me, think of it as the man in the boat, I go right to the honey hole and if I get a good one worth eating (not to big and not too small) then I'll eat it. most is CPR but some times a man's got to do what a man's got to do.

The wife along with my kids keep enough for having a fish fry for the "Boys" on certain occasions. Probably will have a fish fry in early November up North. I think Pigeontroller enjoys the deep fried mushrooms I do up more than the fish.

Hey, I got something new for this year, it's called a blooming onion. It is soooooo gooooooood!