Kaberle Stays with the Leafs

Paulus

So...

it looks like we are keeping Tomas Kaberle for at least another year. Good? Bad? Don't matter? Don't care? Rather watch "Dancing with the Stars" than "Hockey Night in Canada"?

Brian Burke ( :worthy: ) went fishing way up north a couple of weeks ago, and he didn't even tell us what he caught. Do you think he's being more secretive about any offers he might have been getting for "Kabby"?

Please share your thoughts!

p.-

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

i wish a trade would have occurred to avoid some of this crazy media coverage. the rumours and analysis we so blown up that i begun to expect "tweets" and facebook status updates on brian burke flatulence.

at the same time, i'm happy for the guy. he legitimately wants to be a leaf lifer, and it's admirable any time a player feels that way.

Well the leafs now have to keep the best player on the team, one of the better defenceman in the league, and a guy who comes at a relatively bargain price ($4 mil) for someone of his production.

Only leafs fans would think it's good to get rid of a player like this.

And if you really want to move him why do it now? Wait till the trade deadline, def are golden at that time. They'll probably get more in return from some team looking to make a run.

Edited by timmeh

who farking cares, it may be the beer talking, or perhaps the stress (family court tomorrow)... but the the last time I checked this is a fishing forum.. not an unofficial NHL hockey forum...

Either way over rated, under paid(so they claim) just whine and moan...

I wish carpentry was a nationalized contact sport....

G.

i wish a trade would have occurred to avoid some of this crazy media coverage. the rumours and analysis we so blown up that i begun to expect "tweets" and facebook status updates on brian burke flatulence.

at the same time, i'm happy for the guy. he legitimately wants to be a leaf lifer, and it's admirable any time a player feels that way.

I agree. Good bargain too....might be the best D in the league provided the top 6 stay healthy. Good goaltending...and good D can win you some games...let's hope some of the young forwards overachieve a bit.

Without knowing what was on the table in return thats hard to answer. He is a great dman who can move the puck as good as any in the league. It would seem to me though that they have too many on the back end going into camp.

Guest Johnny Bass

Kaberle wants to stay a leaf because they offer the best holiday package in the league. Go home in april and see ya back in October.

:thumbsup_anim:

Best job in town. Work all winter and off all summer. I should have learned to skate!

If the right deal comes along I say trade Kaberle. Looking forward to finally making the playoffs this year! :clapping:

"media coverage" should not even be considered in on this . . .who cares about the media. It'll will focus on the leafs whether they make a good deal, bad deal, any deal... they are mostly stupid anyway.

He should have tried to extract at least some picks. IMO, Burke and co have fallen into the same pattern as other regimes here; try you best to patch together enough talent to squeak into the playoffs.. just to appease the board and some fickle fans.

The Kessel deal was a disaster and set them back about 5 years. They lost two 1st rounders plus a 2nd for an enigmatic player who will surely frustrate leaf fans with long spells of goalless games.. he's a very inconsistent player and is far from a complete player. If you're given up that much, the player should be well-rounded. I am a HUGE loyal Leaf fan, but I will criticize them when necessary. Burke's tenure has been mediocre at best so far. I liked the Phaneuf deal, but that's about it. They overpaid for Komiserek, Beauchemen, etc...

Now Gerritt, I better not catch you talkin anything but fishin from now on...

Best Leaf, one of the Top Ds in the leaque...Kinda surprised he's still in TO... :mellow:

I am not sure why people are considering him one of the "top D's" - he' a soft defensive liability. He can skate and move the puck, but watch him for long and you'll notice the weakness in his game. That is why they are trying to move him.

Guest Johnny Bass

I think the Kessel deal was great! Dont be surprised if he has a 50 goal(or close to) season. Kaberle is over rated. I agree. Trade him while he is still worth something.

He's a puck moving d man...a good one at that..the minute the leafs get rid of him, they are going to be looking for a puck moving d man. He wants to remain a leaf...something unfathomable for us to even think of doing, admirable definitly...he will be good for them for years to come, especially with all the young players there continue to file in.

I personally like Kabs. The sad part is cause we didnt trade him we now stand the chance of loosing him a the end of this season he becomes a unrestricted free agent. wich means we get sweet nothing for him. he now determines where he plays if any trade ofers arise. Should have mooved him while we had the chance. If Bure were smart he would resign him while he is a leaf.

I think the ONE thing the leafs have going for them right now is there Defence?

Kaberle is a great puck mover, and solid on the Powerplay to boot.

But I'd take him off the Penalty kill...His Plus minus was the worst on the team last season.

I'm sure that has a heck of a lot more to with being on the Penalty Kill as opposed to his usual game play.

Personally...I'd keep him

With Phaneuf, Schenn, Kaberle, Beauchemin, And Komisarek on the blue line with Giguere backing them up...

I'd say thats a premier Defence core right there(assuming they can all play at the top of their game)

Its the offence I worry about.

Kessel can't do it all, and lets be honest...there is no one else up front who is proven.

The leafs need to continue the rebuild, and IMO call up some youth from the farm....support them with a solid

Defence and see what guys like Kadri, Mitchell, or Ryan Can do for them.

I think the ONE thing the leafs have going for them right now is there Defence?

Kaberle is a great puck mover, and solid on the Powerplay to boot.

But I'd take him off the Penalty kill...His Plus minus was the worst on the team last season.

I'm sure that has a heck of a lot more to with being on the Penalty Kill as opposed to his usual game play.

Personally...I'd keep him

With Phaneuf, Schenn, Kaberle, Beauchemin, And Komisarek on the blue line with Giguere backing them up...

I'd say thats a premier Defence core right there(assuming they can all play at the top of their game)

Its the offence I worry about.

Kessel can't do it all, and lets be honest...there is no one else up front who is proven.

The leafs need to continue the rebuild, and IMO call up some youth from the farm....support them with a solid

Defence and see what guys like Kadri, Mitchell, or Ryan Can do for them.

Finally, someone who's making sense! :worthy:

unless the leafs are a serious cup contender, they will trade kaberle at the deadline. because thats the time of year your gonna get a team giving up a ton to get a guy like him. hes a free agent at seasons end. so, keep him and get nuthin, or trade him and get a great return? pretty simple to figure that one out.

kessel was a good trade, keep in mind on a team with less then stellar offense, he managed 30 goals and 55 points in 70 games... which was tops on the team. had the leafs finished higher in the standings and the draft picks were late picks, no one would be whining about that trade.

burke has done a great job dumping salary left by his predecessors. was sad to see some guys go, but it needed to be done. he wants to make this team a winner, and hes one the rite path with that. we have sonme great young talent on the club, and more to come. they will be a tough team this year and the playoffs are a very good and real possibility for them.

Kaberle is the best Leaf player. He only wants to play for the Leafs so will not lift his "no-trade" at the deadline. He will go UFA at the end of the season and Burke and the Leafs will get nada for him, just like they did with Sundin. Burke won't offer him a decent extension to stay a Leaf so he will return home and play in the KHL for big bucks. The Toronto media and fans will cry and whine and feel like he has wronged them in some way when they should be happy that he played there at all. Burke will keep his job because the money keeps rolling in no matter what he puts on the ice and the Bruins will get the 1st overall pick in June.

Kaberle is the best Leaf player. He only wants to play for the Leafs so will not lift his "no-trade" at the deadline. He will go UFA at the end of the season and Burke and the Leafs will get nada for him, just like they did with Sundin. Burke won't offer him a decent extension to stay a Leaf so he will return home and play in the KHL for big bucks. The Toronto media and fans will cry and whine and feel like he has wronged them in some way when they should be happy that he played there at all. Burke will keep his job because the money keeps rolling in no matter what he puts on the ice and the Bruins will get the 1st overall pick in June.

:thumbsup_anim::clapping:

Doesnt Kaberle have a no trade clause in his contract?? The only way he gets shipped at the deadline is if he wants to leave, which is something that he doesnt want to do unles maybe he wanted to play for a play off bound team. Burke probably didn`t trade him because nobody offered him two first round picks for him LOL. Trading 3 picks (2 first rounders) for a player coming of a shoulder surgery was just stupid. Every time he takes a hit I bet every leafs fan cringe and dies a little. "Playoffs?! Don't talk about playoffs! Are you kidding me? Playoffs?! in Jim Mora`s voice hahah