Portable Fishfinders worth it?

Raycaster

I just received a few gift cards for Pr@Bass S@ops and was wondering what to purchase.

Just came back from a fishing trip and already stocked the tackle box and basically have a new rod and reel from last year. I get out 3 - 5 times a year for holidays or fishing trips with the brother-In-Laws usually hitting Nippising, Cameron Lake, etc. We end up renting an extra boat (14' - 16' alum) as the relatives boat is more leisure craft and small for fishing. He has a fish finder in the boat and was wondering about picking one up for our rentals.

Anyone have experience with portable fishfinders? I see a couple on their web site that basically mount on the back and a pole telescopes down with the sensor.

The prices are $129 and up and well I might as well use the GCs before I lose them!

I read they are not good for speed but I'm not a trolling type of guy. I love sitting in 10-15 FOW and using the spinners looking for pike/bass.

Suggestions would be welcome.

Just keep in mind that when you find drop-offs and structure, you find fish. If the fishfinder doesn't show you fish that well, it really makes no difference - you're looking for structure and drop-offs. As far as I have seen, most portable fish-finders do that - so yes, they're useful.

i own one. i've recommended it to others on this site aswell. it's the piranhamaxx 160. as a fish finder it works great so long as you learn to use it properly. i personally love it and think it's one of the best investments i've made. its really helped me locate fish in water i was not familiar with. the first time i plugged it in we found a drop off, with a hump in FOW and were in fish all day.

the model i purchased retails for $161.00

I have the Lowrance X67c Ice machine and i love that thing ! i bought the transducer for it to mount on my tinner so all i do is plug in the transducer when i'm in the boat or plug in the Iceducer when on the Ice ! very happy with the unit itself too

IMO they're worth every penny. I've been using one for a few years now, and have no complaints. Like other have mentioned, the portables are great on the back of a boat, and even better on the ice. I never hit the ice without my Humminbird 565. It will mark the depth of the water through the ice, you don't even need to drill a hole!

I'd rather not fish without a depth finder. I could probably get by with my handheld GPS though (well, as long as I have the bathy map of the lake). If you ever go ice fishing, then it's an even better purchase for you. I'd stay away from the units that have the telescoping pole - there are much better in that price range.

I have had a couple of them over the years (one Eagle, One Humminbird), they work well for the price. As a bonus, I used mine for ice fishing as well. My advice is to stay away from the ones that use "AA" batteries (usually 8 of them) - go for one that has a rechargeable battery pack of some sort. It will save you a pile of $ over time. Also, if it is a suction cup type, I prefer to rig up a C-clamp and mount the transducer to a piece of wood - still portable, but more stable giving better readings, and less chance of falling off and getting cut by the prop (been there, done that!)

Well worth the money, but make sure you learn to use it properly, check out you tube for how to videos for the model you buy, works wonders on a rental boat and as well for ice fishing. One of the biggest advantages it will give you is you can quickly eliminate unproductive waters, the only time I don't use one is when I'm shore fishing or wadeing.

If you sort of know the lake or the rental place/ lodge can give you ideas where to fish, you'll be able to find them much easier, as well as seeing what kind of bottom structure (rocks, sand, mud, weeds etc) is down there.

jjcanoe

I purchased a hummingbird 535 portable a few years ago.I use it ice fishing,in the canoe and my boat as well.Except in my boat I used the old humm100 base,bought a ducer and speed sensor.So if I have a circuit failure,I can stick the cup and ducer on and away I go!

Im quit happy with it!

thx for all the replies guys, I'm sold.

Now just price/pole/suction cup decisions!

There was a comment poles aren't as good? Isn't the side sonar feature worth it?

Not sure how the suction cups works, possibilities of it falling off?

Again thx for effort guys.

thx for all the replies guys, I'm sold.

Now just price/pole/suction cup decisions!

There was a comment poles aren't as good? Isn't the side sonar feature worth it?

Not sure how the suction cups works, possibilities of it falling off?

Again thx for effort guys.

IMO the pole models aren't as good as they use AA batteries and you cannot keep them in the water when you are moving. The portable unit I have also has side scan. Personally, I don't use my sonar to find fish but to locate structure. The only thing I have used that works for finding fish is my flasher. Never had much faith in the lower end sonar units for finding fish. Maybe I just don't know how to use them.

Cheers.

hb 120 this is the one i was thinking of buying, i heard that when used on lakes like scugog or rice lake that are weed choked it is hard for it to work.

Thats the one I had my eye on.

Never owned a Fishfinder before but was always wondering how they would do in weeded areas as well.

I don't mind fishing in "Cabbage Soup" like Cache Bay etc. but worry the weeds would cause havoc on the sensors. Depth and rock formation isn't really needed in Cache Bay as it's basically visible.

Scugog... always wanted to visit.

Edited by Raycaster

If you're going to go the portable route and really want the most for your money, I'd highly suggest spending more and getting one of these:

HB 570PT

Low X67

HB 345C

Or at the very least this: HB 160PT

Anyone will tell you the benefits of a "good" fish finder are invaluable, so it is something definitely worth spending at little extra on.

Edited by Jet

You can always turn a non-portable unit into a portable one - although it probably won't be as compact as the the commercially available ones.

In my case I turned a regular Humminbird 343c colour fish finder I got on sale for $220 + a battery and stuck it into a cooler bag for my ice fishing adventures. The portable equivalent to mine at the time was (and still is) the Humminbird 345c which was going for $370.

DSC_1601.jpg

DSC_1603.jpg

I plan to try it out in a couple weeks in my canoe. I'll probably mount the screen of the unit to the bow of the canoe (I usually sit in front when I'm with my dad) and run the battery + transducer cables underneath my seat.

I have the piranha max 160 seems to be working great. I finally brought it out on georgian bay for the first time and my buddy n I found a nice little drop pulled out three small mouth over the side of the boat. Previously I had only used it on the lake I live on (Orr Lake), very shallow and small aswell as a mainly sandy bottom. I found it great to finally be able to see the depths aswell as know when a fish was swimming under the boat!