A Golden Week In NW Quebec

solopaddler

With a busy spring and early summer behind us and finally settled into our new home, my little clan was long overdue for a trip north to the camp.

Normally I would have been up 4-5 times already but this was the first trip of the year.

Definitely a sight for sore eyes.

CottageJuly2010037.jpg

In late May I rented a trailer and my dad drove a load of futon furniture up to the camp for me.

It's been in our basement for a few years and we knew we weren't going to use it in the new house.

Looks pretty good in the cabin I think.

CottageJuly2010006.jpg

Never before have I spent such a hot week up there, wow!

Even at 10pm the thermometer in the cabin was consistently over 30 degrees.

Not so great for sleeping...but it made for fantastic swimming.

My two little ones, 3 and 6 took swimming lessons all winter and spring.

Twas money well spent, both of them took to the water like fish.

My boat dock is pretty deep and never before have they had the nerve to jump off into the unknown scary depths.

By the end of our first evening they were both at it non stop (although my little guy was a bit more hesitant than his big sister :) )

CottageJuly2010059.jpg

CottageJuly2010054.jpg

CottageJuly2010064.jpg

CottageJuly2010065.jpg

CottageJuly2010053.jpg

With the blistering hot weather we spent a lot of time at the beach. Had it all to ourselves for the whole week as well.

CottageJuly2010048.jpg

CottageJuly2010046.jpg

CottageJuly2010049.jpg

Most evenings the kids flaked out on the boat ride back to camp. Fresh air seems to knock 'em out. :)

CottageJuly2010039.jpg

Surprisingly (at least to me) the blueberries were already ripe. Pretty much every day Brendan helped his mom pick a cup on our point.

CottageJuly2010067.jpg

The kids spent a lot of time as usual fishing down on the pump dock. They never caught anything but I don't think they cared.

CottageJuly2010071.jpg

CottageJuly2010075.jpg

'Course we did try our hand at some more serious fishing. With the super hot weather the fish were deep and fishing was tough during the day.

We had our moments though.

My lake is primarily a walleye lake and when the bite is tough a simple live bait rig with an air injected nightcrawler is money in the bank.

That's generally how I'll rig the kids rods especially when there's a favourable wind to help with the drift.

On one occasion we fished a small rockpile directly in front of the camp and hit over a dozen good fish, with both kids getting a few.

While the frenzy was happening the wind whipped up and we endured a brief downpour.

My girl didn't mind getting wet though. :)

CottageJuly2010008.jpg

We had at least 3 doubles if memory serves.

CottageJuly2010009.jpg

We kept 3 for dinner and cleaned them on the rockpile. (You can see the camp in the background)

CottageJuly2010013.jpg

CottageJuly2010016.jpg

Fortunately my entire family loves fish.

Of course I had to include the "money shot" LOL!

CottageJuly2010025.jpg

CottageJuly2010026.jpg

My girl had a hot hand for much of the week fishing wise. No huge fish were caught, but good numbers of these guys kept her smiling:

CottageJuly2010027.jpg

CottageJuly2010018.jpg

As mentioned it was blistering hot and more than once while trolling some deep offshore clay flats we jumped in to cool off.

Freaked the kids out the first time but they soon got over it. :)

CottageJuly2010020.jpg

CottageJuly2010019.jpg

With the crazy heat there were very few bugs even at sunset.

We had more than one campfire while we were there, but our very last night was special.

I never get tired of the view. :)

CottageJuly2010082.jpg

CottageJuly2010077.jpg

It was a perfect way to recharge the batteries and spend time with the ones I love.

Can't wait to get back up there next month.

Cheers, Mike

Edited by solopaddler

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL. HOW LONG IS THE DRIVE?

7 hours door to door.

That's a beuty camp you got there Solo.

How many other camps on the lake? Sure does look peaceful up there!

There's a good number of camps on the lake mainly because of it's proximity to Rouyn Noranda (it's popular with the locals).

Most of them, mine included are water access so it's still pretty quiet.

The fishing is decent on the main lake if you know the tricks. The back lakes near the camp are just spectacular though. :)

A St.Croix Avid & Stradic for the young lady...... you aint messing around!

Feel good thread of the year.

You got that right. No kid of mine fishes with anything less. :lol:

Solo,

I'm from Kirkland Lake which is only 40 minutes from Rouyn. All of the lakes East of Larder Lake are absolutely beautiful.

I'm guessing because it is Quebec live bait (minnows) are not allowed?

I'm sure we fish a lot of the same lakes then. Many of the smaller back lakes I fish are actually in ON. Definitely no minnows in QC, although the only time I miss using them is late fall. The rest of the year worms and leaches work fine.

Thanks for the kind words everyone.

Edited by solopaddler