Weird Sound from the Forest

laszlo

Guest Johnny Bass

That would be the call of a Bittern, I used to be a park naturalist at Long point Prov. Park in my younger days, fielded that query more than a few times.

Yes that's it!!! A bittern. I looked for a recording on the net but couldn't find it. The noise they make sounds more electronic than natural.

Heard something years ago on the farm that sounded like this and believe it or not it turned out to be 2 porcupines up in a tree. My guess is that it's a sound they make during the mating ritual.

I would never have guessed that the sound I heard would come from a porcupine, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if that's what you heard.

I live in a Blue-Jay infested forest and they make some obscene, high-pitched, throat clearing noises, but I don't think that is what your caller is.

I was at my GF's brother's place this weekend and he has a pool. Frogs always get caught on the tarp that covers the pool. They SCREAM this exact noise that you are describing, sometimes you get 6 of them screaming it at once. It sounds like the noise should be coming from something much, much bigger, but it is just frogs. That's where my money is.

The Sandhill Crane that have now moved into the Southern Ontario area have a very strange and distink call. It is very loud, long and strange , almost spooky, when you hear it the first time you will say , what the -.

Edited by fishermccann

I bet that Bruce Cockburn knows!

Rain forest

Mist and mystery

Teeming green

Green brain facing labotomy

Climate control centre for the world

Ancient cord of coexistence

Hacked by parasitic greedhead scam -

From Sarawak to Amazonas

Costa Rica to mangy B.C. hills -

Cortege rhythm of falling timber.

What kind of currency grows in these new deserts,

These brand new flood plains?

If a tree falls in the forest does anybody hear?

Anybody hear the forest fall?

Cut and move on

Cut and move on

Take out trees

Take out wildlife at a rate of species every single day

Take out people who've lived with this for 100,000 years -

Inject a billion burgers worth of beef -

Grain eaters - methane dispensers.

Through thinning ozone,

Waves fall on wrinkled earth -

Gravity, light, ancient refuse of stars,

Speak of a drowning -

But this, this is something other.

Busy monster eats dark holes in the spirit world

Where wild things have to go

To disappear

Forever

Anybody hear the forest fall?

I live on 10 acres and have a Crow fest that goes on every night around dusk in the back where the bush is and I hear

noises coming from them while they Circle that I have never heard before....sounds similar to what your describing.

Or maybe a racoon fight....sounds like someone jumping up and down on a rusted farmers fence

My first thought.. and solid description!

Maybe a deer, but I think it sounds more like a snort/whine. Scares the snot out of ya in pitch black and dead quiet walking to your stand I tell ya!

Edited by Harrison

The noises we heard were from the trees and seemed to move so it points to either some migratory owl or other bird. I remember the noise, similar to a screech owl but more 'throaty'. They were around for a few weeks and camouflage very well, whatever they were.

Worst noise i have heard this year so far is from what I assume was an owl snatching a rabbit into a tree and having a hard time killing it. Now i know why the predator calls work so well.