like a museum

pikeguy

I get a call last knight. A guy wants to know i could do some welding on his trailer.

I head over this morning, He is in his late 70's. The camper trailer was in the drive in front of his garage

When he opened the door it was like a fisher man museum, The biggest pike i had ever seen,musky,jumbo perch trout of all sorts

There was a marlin on the wall there was a shark jaw on the wall

then he showed me his gear!! Wish i had a camera he had old gear rods and lowers all hanging on the wall pictures of him and his wife fishing all around the world

as i worked he told me some stories about his fishing trips and the fish hanging on the wall

i just listened as he talked told me about his tips and were to try

i could have listened to him all day. Wow i was amassed to what he had done in his life

Unfortunately his wife passed away few years ago.Said she fished till the day she died tears came to his eyes

the were married for 60 years

I finished the repair to the trailer and asked him were he was going

His son and there family are taking him fishing,Thats what shoe would have wanted me to do is keep fishing,

Doing things together is the secret to a good marriage and i believe that and fishing is what they did together and enjoyed it you can tell by the pictures on the wall

There heading to his wifes favorite spot for a week .

Having all the work done and time for me to go i hand him his bill. 5.5 hrs 50$

he looks at me and asked if that was right i looked at again and said ya thats right

hope you enjoy your trip.He handed me an old real and rod and the 50$ and said thanks

The stories were worth it to me and to see the joy in an old mans face when he told them was more then enough for me

The old timers may ramble on but there is always a story to be herd in there just listen and you will hear it

Thought i would share this with others so maybe someone else will listened to the old guy's stories

That's a great experience for YOU to have been a part of. That man probably understands more about fishing than most pros you could pile up. I mean the entire fishing experience - not just catching fish. It sounds like it was the proverbial highlighter of his life. You should ask him if he'd be interested in sharing his experiences via an article. Anglers, and Non-Anglers alike, could really benefit from something that deep and experienced.

Great Report

Hey thats awesome! I must admit I love listing to the stories for the seinors.I am a home renovator and wotk with the elderly a TON! Im doing a bathroom reno for and old english couple in thier 80's. Some of the stories they tell are amazing! Stories of war and the way it was when they were kids.Love it. Thanks for sharing indeed!!

I love the old stories from days past. My dentist is a hardcore fishing nut in his 70's. Whenever I visit his office he takes me in his office and shows me new pics of his recent fishing trips. He has his own floatplane and his stories are so awesome. And the fish he has on his office wall just make me drool.

Sincere thank you for posting this Pikeguy, you made my day. My wife lost her Mom a few months back and she is (we are) struggling to deal with her Dad's emotions as they are all over the map.

I think I will take him fishing this weekend and let him tell me about his life.....

Great post Pikeguy. Put a smile on my face. My Grandpa is 96 and still has all his wits about him. He can remember crazy stories from way back. I have driven with him many times from Kirkland Lake to North Bay. He can tell me what species are in most of the lakes and how many he caught there. He would hunt and fish the Lady Evelyn chain every year in the 50s -60s.

I'm gonna go call my Grandpa and tell him about my walleye success last night.

Guest Johnny Bass

Very moving story. I enjoyed it. I always enjoy listening to older people tell stories. I also like seeing black and white photos.

It's amazing how his marriage still breathes beyond the moments that have existed only as memories. Memories have becomes something very tangible for him, and his relationship with his wife has been carried to a sense of current existence. He has a strong hold on what he has, and not only on what he once had. Great story, and thanks for sharing.

Wow great post, thanks for sharing. I am fortunate enough to work close with our elders. Some times it's not so great as I am seeing them in there last hours or minutes on this earth. There are a lot of times when our elders have no one, they call 911 for various ailments needing to go to the emergency room. For a large number of those, the best medicine I have found is to just hold there hand and listen to there stories. By the time we arrive at the emergency department, they have a smile on there face and have for the most part forgotten about there primary complaint.

Thank you for posting and taking the time to listen to his stories.

Jeff