The fourth episode... Les Chats de la Grand

Fisherpete

Low winds... 19 degrees... 4 freshly caught and diced up suckers... sounds like catfishing time to me!

My son Fishernick felt it prudent to join me on a non-school nature-based field trip, and we were accompanied by fellow OFC member Johnny Bass, who had the urge to catch his first channel cat in a long while. Johnny, it was great to meet and fish with you... my son had a great time and you certainly helped keep him entertained during the slower periods of the day. We will do it again for sure!

Great fishing chat on the drive down led to a missed exit... or two... and a minor 60km detour LMAO... but we still got on the water just after 9am. I guaranteed (to Johnny's horror) that we would surely get into the cats today... and also that we would have the first one landed by 10am... the kiss of death? Methinks not, although I almost missed that 10am target. With seven minutes to spare, the first kitten purred for us. We started catching fish at a steady pace, not fast and furious by any means, but consistent enough for the next few hours. There were a few other boats out there, and we only saw one cat get caught by them, so we felt ok about our results. A new species was also caught for Nick and I, the famous Sheepshead! They certainly are scrappy buggers, and not nearly as ugly as I had thought... the purple-blue iridescent head was pretty cool.

DSCN1647.jpg

DSCN1650.jpg

DSCN1653.jpg

DSCN1655.jpg

DSCN1657.jpg

DSCN1658.jpg

DSCN1659.jpg

DSCN1660.jpg

Johnny finally got the skunk off mid afternoon... we had all been using the exact same setups, right down to the hooks, but for some reason they had avoided his bait until around 4pm. The only difference was that his fishing rod was 7' while Nick's and mine were 10'... I think the longer rods make it a bit easier to see the hits when the rods are in the holders.

DSCN1662.jpg

DSCN1663.jpg

DSCN1664.jpg

After that one, Nick struggled a bit but reeled in his new PB, a chunky 32" cat! Any OFC teams looking for a new teammate to add some inches? TOO BAD he is loyal to Rippin' Weeds!!! Hahahahaha!!! :rofl2: This thing had a MASSIVE head on it. And hahahahaha I just saw the chocolate pudding all over Nick's upper lip... maybe that was his secret weapon!!!!! Try it, people!!!

DSCN1665.jpg

DSCN1666.jpg

DSCN1668.jpg

DSCN1669.jpg

And the catching continued...

DSCN1670.jpg

DSCN1672.jpg

DSCN1676.jpg

DSCN1678.jpg

DSCN1679.jpg

DSCN1680.jpg

DSCN1681.jpg

DSCN1682.jpg

As the sun began to set, the excitement of "the witching hour" set in... and the cats did NOT dissapoint. The next hour was unbelievable, with Johnny catching 5 cats on the same hunk of mangled bait at one point (two of which were pigs), I caught the big fish of the day at 33", and the night ending with Nick and I having a crazy double header in the dark.

DSCN1684.jpg

DSCN1685.jpg

DSCN1687.jpg

DSCN1689.jpg

DSCN1690.jpg

DSCN1694.jpg

DSCN1696.jpg

DSCN1698.jpg

DSCN1700.jpg

DSCN1702.jpg

Final tally : New daily record of 20 cats + 1 bonus Sheepshead... a great new friend, one super happy kid and some spectacular fishing memories that will never be forgotten. Is this not what fishing is all about? :lol:

Edited by Fisherpete

Guest Johnny Bass

Was definitely one for the memory books! Best day of channel cat fishing ever for me too. I really liked fighting those big cats on the 7 foot rod, though I did hear a crack when I was muscling one in. :blink:

It was great meeting Pete and his son Nick. Had a blast and yes, we gotta do it again soon!!

For any of you guys that haven't gotten out there yet, you guys are missing out. The action is hot!