And they wonder why people get angry!

Big Cliff

I didn't see this first hand but I am very confident that my source is reliable.

It seems there were two rental boats fishing for crappie. A person who lives nearby watched them for a period of time and observed them keeping over 150 fish so he decided to call in a report.

For a change someone responded and the 4 fisher persons were caught with 400 crappie and some out of season bass. I really hope they throw the book at these people, perhaps it will send a message.

I know I for one am getting tired of this and carry my cell phone with me all the time when I am out on the water now. Anyone in the Kawarthas interested in becoming part of a fisheries watch program? It is time we gave the MNR a little help.

I didn't see this first hand but I am very confident that my source is reliable.

It seems there were two rental boats fishing for crappie. A person who lives nearby watched them for a period of time and observed them keeping over 150 fish so he decided to call in a report.

For a change someone responded and the 4 fisher persons were caught with 400 crappie and some out of season bass. I really hope they throw the book at these people, perhaps it will send a message.

I know I for one am getting tired of this and carry my cell phone with me all the time when I am out on the water now. Anyone in the Kawarthas interested in becoming part of a fisheries watch program? It is time we gave the MNR a little help.

I just don't get it Cliff. Why would anyone want or need 400 fish? That is absolutely nuts! I can feed a whole family with a couple of 1 1/2 pound fish a few times per year.

These numbers you mention here and the numbers talked about by the Rice Lake Tourist Assoc. in Rons post sound more like a commercial fishery than anything to do with "Sport Fishing". No one needs these numbers of fish for personal consumption. People keep a dozen Perch or Crappie and have a feast. Nothing wrong with that at all.

Guest gbfisher

Wanna bet that nothing much happens? You'd think a stroy like this would make it to a certain paper or something... :whistling: Didn't you say you had a reliable source?... :D

Same thing out on the Bog the other day.

Edited by gbfisher

Don't even get me started on this one Cliff. I've seen it twice this season as well. EVERY fish caught went right in the bucket. I am certain they were over limit, so I called, and no results. At least your story came up with results..........I hope they get nailed bigtime!!!

S.

Guest gbfisher

Don't even get me started on this one Cliff. I've seen it twice this season as well. EVERY fish caught went right in the bucket. I am certain they were over limit, so I called, and no results. At least your story came up with results..........I hope they get nailed bigtime!!!

S.

Nothing like being blatant. :tease:

Edited by gbfisher

I just don't get it Cliff. Why would anyone want or need 400 fish? That is absolutely nuts! I can feed a whole family with a couple of 1 1/2 pound fish a few times per year.

Can you say "taking them back to Toronto and selling them". Can you say "I have no respect for your laws or your resourses"? Can you say it is only about 1 in a 100 that get caught and to be honest most of the time they get off with a slap on the wrist and told not to do it again. But just let me get caught with one fish outside of the slot or over my limit and they would throw the book at me as an example to others.

Is there any way that pressure could be put on the rental places? Slim chance but maybe at least raise awareness or put up signs outlining what the actual limits are.

You would think that they might want to protect their future business. Lower numbers of fish=fewer rental customers?

We all need to be ambassadors to our sport. When something is going on that needs to be reported then pick up the cell and do it. Take as many pictures as you can and hope for the best. In this case the best that could happen did thus far.

This is exactly why I was against opening the Kawarthas early. You know people are gonna abuse it.

These guys would abuse it regardless.

The crew I watched a couple days ago were told about the new limit of 30 fish. Thier reply: "mind yo business" I was about ready to ram thier boat and sink it.

They know the rules, they just don't care, and they know nothing will come of being reported. I've reported this type of thing twice already, and saw no results.

If the MNR was smart, they'd be lined up at boat launches and rental places checking each boat as they leave the water.

MNR= Ministry of NO RESULTS

S.

These guys would abuse it regardless.

The crew I watched a couple days ago were told about the new limit of 30 fish. Thier reply: "mind yo business" I was about ready to ram thier boat and sink it.

They know the rules, they just don't care, and they know nothing will come of being reported. I've reported this type of thing twice already, and saw no results.

If the MNR was smart, they'd be lined up at boat launches and rental places checking each boat as they leave the water.

MNR= Ministry of NO RESULTS

S.

Well, maybe it is time we start to DEMAND results!

About 6 years ago, as many know,the perch fishing here in tha fall had made the word out and about.TV celibs, and word of mouth.Lots of people started fishing the bay here.LOTS OF PERCH TO BE HAD.One report about guys catching and bringing thier coolers to dock and then transfering them to land coolers, then heading out for another run, got word to the MNR.

Calling works, dont kid yourself.8 men were nabbed for over harvest,and thier boats were chained to a tree at the motel they were staying at,til they returned to pay thier fines.

I say, keep everything they have at the point,and what ever they used to get to the point inwhich they got to.

MNR IS NOT TO BLAME FOR THE INACTIVENESS.IT,S THE ONES THAT DICK TATE.

if i was still living down there i would be in the group for sure! but up here its a little hard to make a group like that cause theres so many natives up here its kinda hard to tell who is who. unlees you got bonocs or eagle vision haha. but yea even if the MNR hit up the st.mary's right downtown of sault ste. marie in the rapids they would catch ALOT of people angling illegally! snaggin... you name it, they do it. there's actually a video of a guy fishing in the rapids on youtube and he sees a seagull flying along so he casts and as the seagull runs into his line he pulls his rod back like he setting the hook.. he untangles it though. i think it flew away. anyhow if you wanna go check it out it should be there.

Calling TIPS will work. It just takes time. If you call and a CO is in the vicinity, he/she can act. Does not work if the CO is the other side of the county.

TIPS is not 911 dispatch. It is an info source similar in some regards to Crimestoppers. The more calls placed to TIPS, the more attention will be paid to your specific area. It does not happen overnight. Repeat complaints have brought about enforcement blitzes in problematic areas, but requires drawing in extra manpower resources. I've seen 30-40 people get tagged in a single blitz. It happened because numerous repeat calls to TIPS helped them identify a problem area.

In Niagara we have 3 CO's covering the region 24/7. 2 years ago we had 2 until they realized, from call volume, that resources were inadequate. Still not enough but an improvement.

If The MNR Could Throw The Book For People At The Humber In The Evening. Saw Some Pretty Wild Stuff There Especially The One With This Old Foriegn Dude. He Litterally Comes In With A 1-2 Oz Weight With A Hook And Rakes The Waters. Another was the drive by where one person would catch thier limit and some random Dude Just Shows Up And Grabs The Bag And The Guy Goes Fish For More. I Think In The Last Three Hours He Bagged Like 10 Salmons. Then Theres This Other Time When I Was Wading In The Water And This Salmon Looked Perfectly Fine and then just bellied up with its belly Cut Open For The Roe.

Anyways, Thought I Share My First Time Experiences In The Rivers

You're absolutely right here. And unfortunately this is the reason that some people turn to vigilante justice. You can only go on watching people rape our resources for so long without doing something.

And I don't think it's fair to blame the MNR though, they do what they can with the limited funding they have.

You're absolutely right here. And unfortunately this is the reason that some people turn to vigilante justice. You can only go on watching people rape our resources for so long without doing something.

And I don't think it's fair to blame the MNR though, they do what they can with the limited funding they have.

Blame has to rest with a justice system that dumbs down the punishments til there is no deterrent, and to the liberals and tories who, over 2 decades, have stripped the ministry's manpower and budget.

Edited by bigugli

Blame has to rest with a justice system that dumbs down the punishments til there is no deterrent, and to the liberals and tories who, over 2 decades, have stripped the ministry's manpower and budget.

Ya the MNR funding has been stripped no doubt, and with the debt our government took out to fight the recession I would suspect further cuts are probably (unfortunately ) in order.

I agree with the lack of punishment though. Here's a thought: The fine is set at $100 for EVERY fish you're over the limit. That would make people think twice.

I would like to know? What ever happened to the junior/coop/volunteer co program?Obviously it went down the tube!Donate your own time while fishing to observe and report if required.I know there are liability issues with that, but if it crops up again.Probably not!I had an interest in that program and it was gone when I was ready.