Border Collie Puppy pics (NF)

danc

Well it seems that a good friend of mine has taken a liking to Sis and I's Border Collies. He keeps hinting that he wants one, and Sis keeps on insisting that she'll get him one. The other day she phoned to tell him that she has located one in Fort Frances and she'd drive there to pick it up for him if he wanted it. After a brief chat with his wife, he agreed to take it. Sis made the trek to Fort Frances and back today and came home with an adorable 11 week old female. She's a pure bred, but without papers. She will spend the night with us and I'll surprise him with it tomorrow (he doesn't know that Sis picked her up already) when I make my weekly stop at my friends body shop for some Nascar talk and a few pops. My buddy has 4 young children that will be thrilled with her.

Here's a couple of shots that I just took of her.

puppy1.jpg

puppy2.jpg

And Sis just finished giving her a quick bath.

puppy3.jpg

puppy4.jpg

Dan, I trust your and Sis's judgement and I could be way off base here but in my experience:

Border Collies are an extremely intelligent breed with an instinctive desire to work. They are also extremely energetic and require a lot of attention, but are very responsive to training.

Many Border Collies end up in shelters or rescue groups because families, attracted by their appearance and intelligence, discover that they cannot provide the considerable attention and effort required for this driven, active, easily bored breed. Sue and I have tried on two occasions to rescue border collies, perhaps we just ended up with dogs that weren't suited to us or were beyond our experience. Perhaps they were both dogs with more problems than we were trained to handle. regardless, we tried very hard for both their sake and ours.

In many cases, having another dog can help, providing mental and physical stimulation for both dogs. They are better off in a household that can provide them with plenty of exercise and a job to do. Like most herding breeds, they will attempt to herd family members, cats, squirrels, bicycles, cars, or anything else that moves in the absence of other charges. This might even include birds in mid-air. I am not sure that a family with four young children is a good place for this breed. I would be so happy to be proved wrong in this case and I truly hope I am for both the family and the pup!

Please let us know what happens and I pray it all works out for the best!

That dog is nuttin but trouble!Great pics Dan.I would love to get a border Collie but I refuse to get a dog that is smarter than me.I'll stick to my hound and Labradoodle.

Joe

LOL Joe!!!

Man, she is beautiful. Brought back memories of mine, Holly. Wonderful dogs, thanks Dan.

Edited by Dano

I know what you're saying Cliff. Borders can be a hand full and are most happy when working. I have two of them and I live in a typical urban household. I have a fenced back yard where the dogs can do whatever they want. But they are very adaptable. My two year old (who is the aunt of the new pup :dunno: ) will not stay outdoors without us. She's basically a house dog and she became that way with no special training. She doesn't run around the house like she's on steroids. She sleeps a lot. Our oldest will stay outside practically all day long. She lays around. She barks to the dog down the street. She chases the odd bird out of the yard. And she loves children. Our friends three year old son loves coming to visit Sarah. They have a riot in the yard. He can lay right on top of her with all of his weight and Sarah won't bat an eye. Like any dog, Borders have instincts. They are also very trainable. Training must start at a young age. Sis raised her family with Borders around her children from the time they were born until they left the nest. Never had a problem with any of her numerous dogs around the kids. Also, my friend that is taking the dog has owned a Border before when he was a young child. That's why he wants another one. We'll see how it goes I suppose.

And no Wayne. Both eyes are brown. It's just the red, I mean green eye from the camera flash.

I probably have posted a hundred times about my feelings and borders, I can honestly say that Amy is probably the most intelligent, and best tempered dog I have ever had. She sure likes to run and when the grandkids were younger she wouldn't let them get close to the steps going down to our hallway amoungst other things. The breed is just wired to work and play hard. As Amy has got older she has slowed down a bit but open the door and call her and it's time to rock and roll. She travels everywhere with me and I couldn't have a better companion on my fishing and camping trips.

Edited by Garyv

What a beautie of a pup. As for border collies only being able to function in high work situations I tend to disagree. Both of my grandparents got borders when they were well into their 70's and in each case both of the dogs adapted perfectly. Each dog managed just fine even though their "families" were old and in one case badly crippled up so there wasn't exactly a lot of walking and running going on with the owner. I will say that part of what kept the dogs happy might have had something to do with the fact that there was always someone in the house to herd around and both did have large yards that were fenced to roam in. However, I am sure with four children the dog will have plenty of herding to do though to keep her happy.