What car to buy??

Burtess

Which car to buy?  

60 members have voted

1. 1. Which car for reliability, fuel economy, performance, value??

• Honda Civic
    • Ford Focus
    • Pontiac Vibe (Toyota Matrix)

I am having some transmission problems with my 2004 Buick LeSabre, and with it needing some front end work also (wheel bearings / ball joint) and it having 280K on it I think I will just junk it and get something new. This car has been fantastic with no repairs so far but I don't think it is worth repairing with the higher mileage.

Looking for a smaller, fuel efficient vehicle..... back to a 5 speed... I drive about 70K per year. Also must be a North American nameplate built in Canada or USA, or a foreign nameplate built in Canada. Not interested in anything built in Mexico, Japan, Korea, etc.... hence the choices...

What would you go for? I am more into reliability than style, I view a car as a tool...

Thanks!

Burt :)

Edited by Burtess

the matrix/vibe is a fantastic car and has LOTS of room for gear in the back, roofrack for anything you cant fit in the back as well. My sister bought one a couple ofyears ago and has not had a single problem with it (which is great for me...im the mechanic in the family heheh)

ryan

I really like my matrix. The hatchback is really versatile in terms of what you can carry cargo wise.

Yeah.... I should have asked also if a 13 foot, 2 piece float rod can fit in the car interior lol.... maybe another vote for the Vibe/Matrix...

70 K a year! thats alot of K. I understand how you view your car as a tool. I hope that you would reconsider your options. A diesel Jetta or a Golf will outlast almost any other car on the market today. These cars will laugh at 280K. The $ you will save on fuel will offset the extra cost of the initial purchase price. 1200km to tank on 50-60 litres. Good luck with your choice

70 K a year! thats alot of K. I understand how you view your car as a tool. I hope that you would reconsider your options. A diesel Jetta or a Golf will outlast almost any other car on the market today. These cars will laugh at 280K. The $ you will save on fuel will offset the extra cost of the initial purchase price. 1200km to tank on 50-60 litres. Good luck with your choice

Agreed!

My wife is in a VW and its been nothing but a pleasure so far.

Also, take a look at Subaru.....they make some great vehicles.

S.

I'm pretty partial to Honda myself.

My old civic hatchback gets about 600km per 40L tank and makes 160hp (needs the premium though).

My mom has an automatic 1998 civic that has just rolled past 420000 with no major repairs thus far.

With that said, my winter car is a 1990 tercel and it is still running strong at 330000.

Basically, I would go with the Toyota or the Honda for both reliability and resale value.

Oh, and at least try to sell your old car and not junk it. 2004 is 14 years newer than the newest car I've ever owned! I'm sure you'll get something better than the $200 the wreckers will pay.

Agreed!

My wife is in a VW and its been nothing but a pleasure so far.

Also, take a look at Subaru.....they make some great vehicles.

S.

I third that.... but unless you buy it from a chop shop you're not getting a Canadian product.

As for being expensive to fix.. not that much more than the average import 10% or so more than the average domestic but breaks 70% less.

But I would second the Focus/Mazda 3.. and not a disguised Daewoo like most GM mid sized "not the Pontiac Vibe/Toyota Matrix"

Good luck!!

RFS

:canadian:

VW is not on the list, though the mileage of a TDI would be nice. My parents and siblings (and nephew etc.etc.) are VW fans.... I watched my dad pour a litre a week of high end "VW" synthetic into his 2007 Passat, VW insisted it was normal consumption.... the 2009 is better... not as reliable as I want unfortunately.

Scion?? Can you even buy them in Canada?

315K on an '02 Corolla, and until last year it cost me absolutely nothing in repairs...now I'm dealing with clutch issues but they'll get sorted out. Engine uses a bit of oil, but for the cost of about a litre between each oil change I won't complain.

I'd highly recommend Toyota

Why don't you want another Buick?

I would love another Buick, the car before this one was a 01 Century, I sold it with ~380K on it. Did a coil spring and a battery on that one lol...

Problem is Buicks are over $30K for all models now, and they got rid of the 3800 V6 (which was my fav). I need something cheaper and more fuel efficient.... something that fits in better with the mileage the company pays me.

But if I could swing it I would buy another in a heartbeat!

Matrix: Made in Ontario

Vibe: Made in California

Civic: Made in Ontario

Focus: Made in Mexico

Need I say more? :whistling: There are only 2 real options to choose from. But if the Focus is a cheap deal then? :blush:

I was under the impression that the Focus was assembled in Wayne, Michigan??

If not I would probably scrap that idea as I would like to support Canadian / USA manufacturing...