Operator card question even Service Ontario nor the police can answer.

Muskieman

Here goes... I have a client at Community Living ..He drives his own 14 '/ 20 Merc aluminum boat regularly... he cannot read or write and is verbally challenged.. does not qualify to get a "G Driver's Permit"

doesn't need a fishing permit because of his disability.

But pilots his boat like the best of us.

Service Ontario nor the OPP or my Regional Police could answer this.

Is my client exempt and allowed to navigate a small vessel or is he dis-allowed period.?

and/or is he able to have a coach while taking the test "he'd pass"...

If you can answer this your good .. no; not good...

THE BEST!!

RFS

:blink:

Edited by Randy from Sturgeon

Just a thought, not an answer, Randy;

It could be you already have your answer in that your client can't get a driver's license. There's rules of the road on the water too and working knowledge of them is a necessity. He may very well know them but cannot convey his knowledge - that's a huge obstacle to overcome. I don't know what they may do with, and I say this kindly, illiterate or challenged motor vehicle license applicants testing efforts. If such a program were to exist maybe a way can be found to overlap it to the operators card for your client. I've never heard of an "exemption" for drivers licenses, and can't imagine one exists for the operators card.

I will say this, you have probably found the one in a million or more true just causes for an exemption. It sounds like your client derives great pleasure and therapy from his vessel. I sincerely hope a way is found to help him demonstrate his ability to the point of either being granted a card or exempted from requiring it. If I can find out anything further from a couple of people I know (and I will try), you'll hear from me right away.

Michael

I work for the gov't.

There is a massive push in the gov't to ensue that Diversity and disbalilty do not limit one's access to services from the gov't. There is actually a new law.

I don't think I can answer the question about being able to pilot his own rig but the rest you should be able to get answer. Keep pushing and make them make a decision. (The fact he does not qualify for a G license doesn't sound positive tho).

Have him insist on a worker or if necessary a manager following up on this. He should not have do the run around. Have him cite his disability as an issue as to why they should advocate on his behalf. Make them do it. I will look up the new law if you need (just PM me).

As for the test, they must accomodate him in whatever reaonable way he requires to have access to the same service as every other Ontarion. (unless the same reason he does not qualify for his G license disqualifies him before he would be eligible to write the test).

well he need to pass the test get paper work proving his condition and he will need to do the test in front of an instructor, but with a coach I would find the nearest power squad, I am pretty sure they can help set it up but has to be deemed competent

powersquad

Edited by Terry

For a driver's license if you can't read the test to the point you understand it (2nd language or limited reading skills), you can have an interpreter - kinda silly when you think about it as you have to be able to read road signs to driver properly - check all the words you need to know in the drivers handbook on the signs pages.

Now there aren't too many written signs in the boat coarse - they're pictures and graphics. So - strictly speaking the lack of abilty to read or write, or even speak the answers to the questions should be immaterial as long as your bud takes the right actions - which he could show by pointing or clickong on the right answer on the screen for instance.

However, for this to happen you will need to find someone in the government who 1; understands this; 2; is willing to do something about and 3; is in position to do something about it. Good luck - I hope you can. Shame to take away one of the things the guy can do well and causes him pleasure just because he can't express himself well.

Guest gbfisher

Just have him do the test online with you there..Its that simple.3 weeks later card in the mail.To do it online he needs a witness anyway I belive

you can help him online with the test. Put each question to him as he would understand it. You can sign up as a supervisor. It should all work out easily enough. Have a look at the online exam and how you go about registering as a supervisor. Its in the F&Q's

http://www.boaterexam.com/canada/faq_internet-en.aspx

Edited by gbfisher

Here goes... I have a client at Community Living ..He drives his own 14 '/ 20 Merc aluminum boat regularly... he cannot read or write and is verbally challenged.. does not qualify to get a "G Driver's Permit"

doesn't need a fishing permit because of his disability.

But pilots his boat like the best of us.

Service Ontario nor the OPP or my Regional Police could answer this.

Is my client exempt and allowed to navigate a small vessel or is he dis-allowed period.?

and/or is he able to have a coach while taking the test "he'd pass"...

THE BEST!!

RFS

Just a thought that came to mind.Is he close to a yatch club that offers a boating coarse?Maybe he could do a road(lake) test with his boat?DUNNO, its worth a shot to ask.

I will ask a marine unit officer in my area and see what he/she has to say.Im really curious as to their answer.

Dunno

Here goes... I have a client at Community Living ..He drives his own 14 '/ 20 Merc aluminum boat regularly... he cannot read or write and is verbally challenged..

THE BEST!!

RFS

Randy, not to be nosey, but how does he communicate, simple yes/no answers, point to picture answers? Does he understand well? If so I'll bet that someone can be his aid during the test, PM me if you don't want to post the answers, maybe this can help others in the same dilema.

Randy, not to be nosey, but how does he communicate, simple yes/no answers, point to picture answers? Does he understand well? If so I'll bet that someone can be his aid during the test, PM me if you don't want to post the answers, maybe this can help others in the same dilema.

He communicates with the vocabulary of a 5 year old but has the comprehension and retention of a 9-11 year old and has the motor skills of an adult athlete.

Randy

I agree with signing him up to do the test on line. If you're comfortable being his supervisor and you're confident he knows what he's doing (on the water and while doing the test) get him to complete the test with you as the interpretor/supervisor. There's plenty of people out there who can read and write just fine, did the test on line, passed and don't have a flippin clue about how to safely operate a boat/water craft.

He communicates with the vocabulary of a 5 year old but has the comprehension and retention of a 9-11 year old and has the motor skills of an adult athlete.

Randy

Thanks for the reply. Only from a personal feeling, there are some youngsters(age) who by virtue of their being exposed to the outdoors, can function and understand the seriousness of their actions when handing equipment such as boats. If he is shows that, and takes the precautions that he is shown and understands that, I would go out on a limb and let him enjoy some of the little things he finds pleasure in. Good luck.

I work for the gov't.

There is a massive push in the gov't to ensue that Diversity and disbalilty do not limit one's access to services from the gov't. There is actually a new law.

I don't think I can answer the question about being able to pilot his own rig but the rest you should be able to get answer. Keep pushing and make them make a decision. (The fact he does not qualify for a G license doesn't sound positive tho).

Have him insist on a worker or if necessary a manager following up on this. He should not have do the run around. Have him cite his disability as an issue as to why they should advocate on his behalf. Make them do it. I will look up the new law if you need (just PM me).

As for the test, they must accomodate him in whatever reaonable way he requires to have access to the same service as every other Ontarion. (unless the same reason he does not qualify for his G license disqualifies him before he would be eligible to write the test).

Good points!! - from HTHM's wife - special needs worker for past 34 years)

Because of the existing laws that ensure "Rights of those with disabilities" this friend/client with a "mentor" should be able to prove that he has the physical skills to drive the boat (and with supports write the test which would require a certain amount of cognitive ability for sure)... The therapeutic value of driving a boat independently is enormous - let's not take that away from this person! Enjoy!! Maybe check with an organization like "People First" if they have any help to offer as well :)

Good luck!!

First thing, its not a license its more of a diploma and the gov. does not provide operators cards.

Your best bet for getting him a legit card is with your local power squadron, these guys are all volunteers and will take the time it will take to get him through the coarse. Advanced Power squadron courses are a tough go for a lot of people and their instructors often go one on one with students. The problem will be with the strict Trans Ca. protocols for testing and I'll have to look them up but I'm sure there are options we can use . If your friend can be taught the basics required for the card this is your best bet and do it now because its going to get harder soon, and Power Squadron is cheaper.

He might already be able to know or guess his way through the test but the coarse would do him good.

I went to Service Ontario again today " with a pocket full of advise"

I logged onto OFC from the S/O office ....I showed her this very thread.

She was impressed by the buckets of knowledge that the "average" person

had.

I know the secretary and she was kind enough to tutor "coach" my client

into passing the on-line test while on her lunch hour .

That's service if I've ever seen it!!!!

Once Again thank you all for the great help and making someone's day and future better than it was.

Greatly appreciated!!!

Good Karma back to yous all!!

RFS

:)

I went to Service Ontario again today " with a pocket full of advise"

I logged onto OFC from the S/O office ....I showed her this very thread.

She was impressed by the buckets of knowledge that the "average" person

had.

I know the secretary and she was kind enough to tutor "coach" my client

into passing the on-line test while on her lunch hour .

That's service if I've ever seen it!!!!

Once Again thank you all for the great help and making someone's day and future better than it was.

Greatly appreciated!!!

Good Karma back to yous all!!

RFS

:)

That is *very* cool of both you and the Service Canada lady!!! Tell your client we all said congrats and to get out and go fishing!!

Randy I am shocked! and absolutely tickled pink! I just finished a conversation that confirmed some of the other gents offerings about coaching, you as a supervisor, & power squadrons that would get your client his operators card. Logged on to tell you about it and BAM! You've already done did gone and done did got it done!

Well played sir! Very well played indeed! My hat's off to you!

Michael