? about fishing zone 17 pike

Cudz

I think I have a good understanding of why zone 17 pike is open all year. My question is this. What would you do if you caught a 12-18" pike? Would you keep it? Do you let it go again? What if you were keeping all your pike and you end up with 6 of those tiny snot rockets?

I understand that they're considered invasive species, and the intent is to eliminate or minimize their infiltration to FZ17... but as a catch and release angler (unless I'm fishing with my father in law who does a wicked beer battered fish fry) I'd be leaning toward releasing them... which I believe it contradictory to the intent of the MNR.

I hear pikes good eating but I rarely if ever cook fish myself.

Doesn't really answer your question, just my opinion, feedback is welcome.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks

provided they are cleaned properly, and they are not covered in black spot like so many snot rockets are, pike are delicious.

IMO Pike are very good eating. I actually prefer them to Walleye.

With small Pike the easiest thing to do is slice off the triangle fillet from the vent to the tail on each side, then cut down behind the head and slice off the meat on top of the spine. This piece will have the tips of the spine bones in a straight line down the centre. These bones are easily removed by splitting this fillet in half.

This method avoids the troublesome "Y" bones. On small fish you aren't really losing any meat because if you remove the "Y" bones the flanks are so thin that they crisp-up to nothing anyway.

Garry2rs

I plan to find out. Not sure about how it will work out. I am afraid I will catch Musky, Bass, and Walleye as well as Pike. All will go back of course except the Pike, and I will leave an area if other species are too prevalent. Pike taste fine, filleted and battered up.

Six less pike(or 4, I don't know the limit) is a good start. Go back the next day and catch six more. There may not be that many "big" pike (30 plus inches) in these lakes anyway.

Hey Rob,

I don't know about your household but in mine there are no 2 days of fishing in a row. lol

I am not too worried about eating pike. I like to eat pike. I just can't see myself keeping a 12" pike to eat. Do I put that 12" pike back so it can eat 6" musky?? or do I keep it and try to eat it. lol (I am laughing because I am picturing myself filleting a 12" pike and imagining the size of the fillets).

Edited by Cudz

Hey Rob,

I don't know about your household but in mine there are no 2 days of fishing in a row. lol

I am not too worried about eating pike. I like to eat pike. I just can't see myself keeping a 12" pike to eat. Do I put that 12" pike back so it can eat 6" musky?? or do I keep it and try to eat it. lol (I am laughing because I am picturing myself filleting a 12" pike and imagining the size of the fillets).

Ya 2 days in a row does not happen too often right now.

The good of the few is outweighed by the good of the many. That small hamerhandle that you keep this year does not continue to exist in a system that it should not be in.

I have not kept a pike that small and I understand your conundrum, but if you are fishing with someone else what is the likelihood that the 2 of you are going to catch 12 pike in a lake that, at this point at least, does not have a large population?

If your fishing for the day, why not keep the six biggest you catch. I know some people have issues with culling but if I had a limit of 16"ers and caught a 36", I would trade up. We are trying to control or even wipe those suckers out(not likely) in the Kawarthas. I know I wouldn't lose any sleep over it, specially after eating that 36"er. Yum!

How does one target pike and not end up catchign musky? Seems like a weird rule to me.

From what I understand, Pike season opens in most places while musky is still closed. Why should the Kawarthas be any different?

I just find pike under 20" not to be worth the effort to fillet. In Canal and Dalrymple I have no problem filling the boat with pike over that size.

What I find wrong about this effort to eradicate pike is that a number of anglers catch pike, kill them, and toss them back as turtle food. I have seen far too many pike with the base of the gills cut just floating in the 2 lakes. Such a waste.

The idea of keeping all pike to remove the species from the system is only wishful thinking. Now they are there catch & keep will never make them disappear. Although not wanted in the system they are there & to remain I'm sure.

Rick