What did you do yesterday?

pigeonfisher

Sup Ladies and Gents,

Been a busy time here in southern, PA. I have been wicked busy with work, with travel and changes around the office. Somehow the smallest Crooks boy is coming up on a year, the big one is about done his first year of kindergarten and the middle one is doing great!

Kristi is doing a good job with the kids and really working herself into the community here. She is a volunteer at the school and of course her full time job of taking care of me and the rest of our brood.

Spring time is coming, I know everyone back home is getting antsy to get out on the lakes (with aluminum or fibeglass between you and the water), I guess you always have the rivers and Lake O too.

Much like the fishing community, I do spend a bit of time with a running group. We post our race reports and general questions on a board like ours. My limited time doesn't allow me to be a great contibutor but once in a while I get a word in, below is my race report from yestday.

You guys play safe out there. Put on your float suits as I bet those water temps would get you pretty quick.

Miss you all,

Steve

Okay,

I was running with another fella that helps me with my slow runs. I agreed to do the first 6.5 miles with him at a 10:00 pace or whatever would be good for him.

The rain at gun time (8:30) was going sideways, up and at times felt like sleet. It was super pleasant.

The first 2-3 miles were fine. We kept the pace around 9:30 until the three mile mark which ended with a nice downhill. Then the wind happened, it was in our face, directly in our face for the next 4 miles. Running against the 30 mph gusts was almost just comical. My job in our little group was to provide levity. I like to sing and tell jokes when I am at a talking pace. The second 3.5 miles was much closer to an 11:00 pace as the wind was directly in our faces and the hills were alive. I was chomping at the bit to get rolling.

Hit 6.5 miles and it was go time. I wind mostly at my back now, still some very challenging hills in my future. I passed about 40 people in the first mile and continued to reel people in mile after mile. The second half of the race I believe I got by over 100 people. Each one, at least each group got a Steve anticdote as I would slow down and say hi.

Mile 10 had a WICKED up hill. Took down 6 people on the hill, one fine gentleman commented "Whomever designed this course is sick", I said, "The guy who came up with the weather is playing practical jokes but I am not willing to pick a battle against him.".

The last mile was tough. Back into the wind but at least flat.

Finished completely wet, everything, in 1:57. I am thrilled. I went back and picked up my friend who ended up being just over a mile behind me. We finished the race together (again for me).

Many of the comments in the lunch room were

"toughest 1/2 I have run"

"That course should be put in an adventure race"

"The weather and the hills made this SO HARD"

Some people were crying, a lot were limping. It was very interesting.

See you in a month and a bit "Frederick". May 02, Frederick, MD 13.1 Aiming for 1:45

In no particular order: I watched some fishing shows, drank a litre of red wine, ate at least two excellent meals, had marital relations with my wife, and slept like a baby.

Thanks for asking, and good luck with the running thing.

Jim

I'm not the marathon type. I spent my day sprinting to the bathroom in between 12 hour 'naps'. Feeling a lot better today.

Sounds like a grualing race relying heavily on stratagy and endurance. If you had to do it over again, would you have ran differently?

Guest gbfisher

Perch and whitefish yesterday. Perch again today. Lakers and bows through the week. Perch again on the weekend. Almost forgot about Crappy.. :huh:

Same stuff till May 1st..... :)

Edited by gbfisher

Congrats Steve! never into running for distance much, but like weight lifting if you stick with it, it can become fun. LOL 1:57? about the time it takes me to walk down to the mail box and back! I keep tryin but only seem to get slower, er or fall. Still can`t master the bouncing back up, LOL

Yesterday? A movie, Young Victoria, and dinner with a younger lady, a pleasant time.

Edited by OhioFisherman

Hmmm. Running sounds like too much work. I like my program better. Watched the Brier. Sorted all my plastics & hooks into plastic trays (gonna try a new system this year - one tray for worms, one for tubes and one for froggies & mice). Watched some truck racing. Cooked dinner and ate. Watched more curling. Slept. Got income tax stuff sorted out. Watched Grand Prix from Bahrain. Cooked and ate supper. Watched curling. Slept. Probably be more fun with wine but I've kinda lost my taste for it lately. Dunno what that's about. :P

JF

Great way to spend the weekend....

As for my weekend this was my Saturday night:

Fought a couple of drunks

Got a drunk driver off the road

Was able to catch 2 guys breaking in to houses and cars

Wrote a few tickets and got really really really wet and cold while directing traffic on highway 7 and the 400

I like Lew spent the weekend painting, about 1100 sq ft but after being up and down so much I feel like I could have been right there with you! Boy am I sore today!

Glad to hear that you are adjusting so well and that the family has settled in.

Cliff

It was a fun time.

Today I am in Denver, CO. All I have learned since gettnig into the hotel is that it doesn't get light here until late in the morning.

Glad to see a bunch of the old yahoo's are still around keeping this place comfortable and under control for the general populous.

Time for some breaky!

Run Fatboy Run!!!! :lol:

Sorry, had to say it Steve, although it does not apply now. Damn good movie tho is you haven't seen it.

Congrats to you for finishing, twice :thumbsup_anim:

I started my jogging outside again a few weeks go, but its still a bit muddy and wet, I hate that.

Joey

Run Fatboy Run!!!! :lol:

Sorry, had to say it Steve, although it does not apply now. Damn good movie tho is you haven't seen it.

Congrats to you for finishing, twice :thumbsup_anim:

I started my jogging outside again a few weeks go, but its still a bit muddy and wet, I hate that.

Joey

Good for you Joey,maybe we could do the first annual lakair crayola 5k run/race this year at the GTG.Winner gets extra inches in the pike tourney.

Joe

This is a really good week for outdoor running. Got to run in my shorts today. Weather will be beautiful the next few days. So sunny today with plenty of people with families out on the trails. Sad to see all the trees barren and flooded muddy water in the river. Hurry up summer.

I have tried running numerous times and still can't figure out why it is so popular. My father was a successful runner back in his day. He was my track coach in high school. Maybe it was his training methods that turned me off from running. He was a gung ho grunt in the infantry for 25 yrs. Running up sand hills and all that stuff. Ten times harder then the old bag skate used by my coaches in hockey.