Sledders and tip-ups

I was out fishing for pike today and a sledder came through my area doin mac 1 and ran over one of my tip-ups this isnt the first time they've come close to my gear and even when I place an object like a green propane tank or my gas auger in front of the tip-up they still come zipping through I guess I need to rope off the area, any suggestions.... oh and I lost 2 pike at the hole...

I have a 2" auger for drilling a small hole beside my tipup and I insert a 2" steel pipe that sticks up about a foot, if they run over my tipup they destroy their sled, now that I think of it maybe I should put a small flag on t so they can see it

I have a 2" auger for drilling a small hole beside my tipup and I insert a 2" steel pipe that sticks up about a foot, if they run over my tipup they destroy their sled, now that I think of it maybe I should put a small flag on t so they can see it

thats a real good idea...set a trap to hurt somebody

sorry that they run into yoyr stuff pikehunter. sometimes stuff like that can be hard to see, and some people are just disrespectfull. I do doubt that any sledder purposely runs into a line though...it would make a heck of a mess wound into a track.

perhaps a bit more orange tape would help

Edited by Dara

I have been witness a few times where the sledders were purposely running over tip-ups on nipissing. My buddy had a few destroyed. Then he found a solution. He took out his paint ball gun and when the jackass ran over a set up he was waiting and unloaded the gun while the "sledder" went past,never had a problem since.

That will teach that dam father of four not to run over your tip-ups. Haha enjoy your wheelchair suckaaa!

That will teach that dam father of four not to run over your tip-ups. Haha enjoy your wheelchair suckaaa!

I seriously doubt it is the father's of 4 who are out zipping around like that oblivious to others "space" on the ice.

....and I'm pretty sure Terry was only stating what he'd LIKE to do. I'm with him on that one. People need to learn respect for personal property and space in this world. There is far too much selfishness and idiocy out there.

Wish there was a fine for stupidity ;)

I seriously doubt it is the father's of 4 who are out zipping around like that oblivious to others "space" on the ice.

....and I'm pretty sure Terry was only stating what he'd LIKE to do. I'm with him on that one. People need to learn respect for personal property and space in this world. There is far too much selfishness and idiocy out there.

Wish there was a fine for stupidity ;)

Some people just like to break things. :dunno:

Damn, I'm sorry if I have a twisted humour and the fact that its late and my brain was left at the bar, but that is some funny right there

some sledders can get pretty annoying sometimes. me and two other friends were fishing on Scugog the other day and were fishing in a line no bigger then 10 feet next to one of my friends quad.. and we look over and there are 2 sleds blasting down the lake heading straight at us.. and closing in fast.. so we waved our arms to make sure they see us.. and what do they do.. keep the throttle pinned.. and missed us by 3 feet.. and clipped my back pack.. boy was I pissed off .. and i told my two friends if they were to come back something was going to happen.. stayed out a couple hours after .. but they did not return..

I have been witness a few times where the sledders were purposely running over tip-ups on nipissing. My buddy had a few destroyed. Then he found a solution. He took out his paint ball gun and when the jackass ran over a set up he was waiting and unloaded the gun while the "sledder" went past,never had a problem since.

That's awesome the colder the day the better the paintballs get's :)

yeah I think just maybe I was joking....I have a 10" auger, don't know if there is anything like a 2" auger.......

I've read of Americans actually doing that, so I wouldn't put it past someone who fishes Simcoe.

First, there is absolutely no reason to be running at speed within a few feet of anyone or a hut on the lake.Snow and ice conditions can make your sled buck sideways in a flash.It's a huge area to play on on any lake. Therefore I will grab my auger sideways and stand facing them if they wanna charge at me.I have a right to safety just as anyone else and noone is gonna play games with my life or stuff for that matter.

No different than the idiots that will run at you while fishing from the boat minding your own business.

Kerry

Oh yeah, I like Terry's idea too.Leave the orange flag off tie a rope from it to the tip up and call it a backup safety for big pike that take the whole setup down the hole (happens all the time!) and make it just short enough to ruin a track and see how they like it.

Edited by Kerry

one of the problems on sturgeon where ice fishing is allowed for the first time is the sleds have been running at speed for years and years over the same areas and now we have some huts put up and ice fisherman not covering there old holes before they leave leaving a hardened slush bump which at the very least is good for a spine tingler at worst i seen one sled get written off this year.

The best advice is know before you go. i always do a slow tour of the lake to see where everyone is and any hazards on the ice before i giver er

Again, I guess we are sheltered up here.

I never would have thought any body would do stuff like that.

I guess when the population gets high enough that you get a higher number of idiots and they start to show up more.

You really shouldn't have to arm yourself with a paintball gun to go fishing

I have "friends" in Florida and Tennessee who would tell you that's a great argument for concealed carry permits. I italicized the friends because after they spouted that nonsense and I gave them my thoughts on arming up our friendship got a little chilly. :P

Pretty sure you'd have trouble convincing the court your ice hole is your castle, even in southern Fla.

JF

ive had it happen more than once! I remember afew years ago up near huntsville we were sitting back watching the lines when 2 sledders i guess thought it would be hilarious to boot right beside us and take out 3 of our lines. completely destroyed one of my fav rod and reel combo's and one of my buddies tip ups got caught in one of there skis and ended up whereever the sledders decided to stop! Woulda loved to have seen one of there sleds break down, they woulda been in for a beating of there lives! Absolutly no respect out there for some people's stuff.

Again, I guess we are sheltered up here.

I never would have thought any body would do stuff like that.

I guess when the population gets high enough that you get a higher number of idiots and they start to show up more.

Dont kid yourself Dara...up here on some of the lakes close to town its happened on more than one occasion. Lack of common sense doesnt stop at a particular area....its spread out pretty good.

Guest ThisPlaceSucks
Dont kid yourself Dara...up here on some of the lakes close to town its happened on more than one occasion. Lack of common sense doesnt stop at a particular area....its spread out pretty good.

agreed.

it's not that sledders and tip ups don't mix, it's that idiots and snowmachines don't mix. i usually drive AROUND guys fishing out of courtesy... i don't even want to scare their fish let alone run over their gear.