6 or 9.9 HP

Weeds

I'm having another go at boat ownership this year so I picked up a 12 foot aluminum. Probably what I should have got first time around. Seems to be in decent shape, I'll test it for leeks with the hose once the weather warms up. I'm curious what most guys opt for regarding a motor. Is a 6 enough power if the majority of my fishing is me alone? Should I bite the bullet and spend the extra dough on a bigger motor? The boat is rated for a 10. I find it incredible how used motors retain their value. Kijiji is full of 40 year old motors priced at 4 to 5 hundred dollars. Any thoughts? Thanks

Most 9.9's will troll fairly nicely, but the 6 would definitely be the better choice if trolling is your major effort. The 9.9 would be better if you are travelling a fair ways to your honey holes. I guess one rule of thumb that may apply is that it's a little easier to slow a boat down than it is to speed it up. I had a 7.5 Merc on my 12 foot tinny, could plane wonderfully with 2 on board but I could only backtroll, wouldn't idle down enough for my tastes unless I towed a bucket or drift sock. Our older 6 Johnson would troll so slow that a breath of wind would nearly stop the boat, but with 2 on board plus gear it was just able to plane, covering any distance took a fair bit of time. It was ok for our lake (Dalrymple), but with bigger lakes I'd lean towards a bit more power.

Michael

Nothing better than 'more power'

Go for the 9.9hp

You won't be sorry.

Seeing as how you've already been impressed by the price of old motors, and their cost, go for the newest you can afford. In the long run, you will get more back when you upgrade.....

and you will upgrade!!

I have run both, and prefer the 9.9. Like others have mentioned, it's nice to have a little extra power, and top end speed. I camp allot, and the 6 with 2 people and camping gear is DEADLY SLOW!! Not that the 9.9 rips either, but it is noticeably faster..

If you can't get it to trol slow enough, use a sock.. IMO..

i say go for a 9.9hp. The extra power is always nice for getting to your spots quicker and if a storm or something rolls in you can get out of there in a hurry and be back on safe ground in no time. i have a 1999 evinrude 9.9hp and i love it. trolls wonderfully, very few problems(the problems i had were my own fault haha!) i picked mine up 2 years ago for $600 and it was spotless (cant say the same now being bounced around in the back of trucks and in boats) motors like to keep their value and its very hard to find a good deal on a newer motor but they are out there if your patient and keep your eyes peeled. i wouldnt go older then mid 80s either.

I have a 60 horse four stroke that trolls at less than 3 MPH, I can't believe that a 9.9 wouldn't troll slow enough. Every boat I ever rented had a 9.9 on it and every one was terrific. There has got to be a reason that 9.9's are omnipresent and I have never seen a 6 horse, ever.

I think I am leaning towards the 9.9.

Check out Port Coburn Marine, they have those lease returns on for around $1800.00 c/w remaining warranty.

Jim

I put a 9.9 4 stroke on my 12ft and it couldn't troll slow enough slowest it got was 1.3 mph but i could go around the lake for a week on a tank of gas, if i needed to troll slower i just through out a drift sock, but the 4 stroke was way to heavy for the back of the boat, if your useing a 2 stroke there shouldn't be any issues with slow trolling or weight my little boat would do 22 mph on gps by myself or 17-18 with two guys and gear more than enough speed for that tin missle! also has a older 6hp johnson on it worked ok but wasn;t winning any races

hahaha! drifter that reminds me of my one buddy. he has a 12 tinner and bought a 15hp evinurde. mannn that is one scary boat!! we had to add some angle iron on the back cause the back transom was getting destoryed from that big of a motor hahahaha!

He had the motor on a little 8 or 10 foot tunnel hull. One of those little pickle fork boats. The thing did like 30 mph!!! It was insane!

He sank it several times stuffing a wave or flipping it. :lol:

hahaha! drifter that reminds me of my one buddy. he has a 12 tinner and bought a 15hp evinurde. mannn that is one scary boat!! we had to add some angle iron on the back cause the back transom was getting destoryed from that big of a motor hahahaha!

:P We have a 12' Springbok (Princecraft) Ungava with a 20hp (2 stroke) on it....needless to say she absolutely flies! We used to waterski behind it as kids! That said, the Ungava has a wider beam that most 12'ers and can handle the HP.

Go for the a 15 - if you end up needing to travel any distances on a lake, a 9.9 will feel like a snail's pace.

Before folks start suggesting how weeds can flip the thing and cut his leg off with the prop... is this a 12' cartopper Weeds?? If so.. with a 4 foot beam.. an 8HP is easy enough to flip it and my father-in-law has the 14 " scar in his leg to prove it. I have a 9.8 Merc for ours at the lake... made sure everyone driving it knew it was a straight line only machine at any throttle setting above idle. I have a 5 Honda on it now.. good for one person... plows with two and gear. 9.9 max if you have a car topper and be cautious of even thinking of a tight turn. If it s a 12 Deep V with a wider beam.. then you may get away with a 15..

Edited by irishfield

That's a little wider than a car topper.. ours is 47/48"... but the F-in-laws old 12' 1967 Springbok was a little wider.. and he flipped it pretty easily with an 8HP on it and took a beating from the prop.

If you have a picture of what you bought.. it would help in the HP debate. What's it placarded for.. I bet 10HP.

Edited by irishfield

I had a 12 footer with a 1967 6hp evinrude. Ok for fishing alone but put my buddy in the front and a bit of gear and you could almost troll at full speed. First time I loaded it down with camping stuff and a case of beer I actually thought the motor had problems we were going so slow. Get the 9.9

I too had a 12' and I had a 2000 or maybe it was a 2002? 6hp Merc on it. That was a beautiful little motor, easy on gas and quiet, so quiet that I was asked more than once if it was a 4 stroke. It was fine if alone in the boat, OK with 2, but then I am the size of 2 smaller guys myself. You will probably be satisfied with a 6 but if you have a deal on the 9.9 then go for it, then you will probably be more than satisfied.

BTW, my 12'r was only rated for a 7hp.