CLEANING PERCH/PANFISH ?

rob v

I just got finished cleaning a couple of dozen perch after a decent day on the ice. For me there aren't many things I can think of that are more tedious than cleaning panfish ! I hate ruining/wasting decent fish. I try to fillet them similar to any other fish, ie slice the fillet cutting through the rib cage down to the tail, peel it back, take the skin off, then cut out the rib cage. I use a small, sharp filleting knife and while most turn out fine, sometimes the knife has a mind of its own and the fillet ends up looking like hamburger.

Is there an easier, more efficient way to get this job done ?

Thank goodness they taste as good as they do - almost makes it worth the trouble ! Thanks.

You clean fish!!!! :o:w00t: :w00t:

I just bring them home and tell my wife to clean them! She tells me to go to h3ll and I say "But that's what they used to do, the man hunts and fishes, brings the catch home and the woman cleans it."

In the end the fish somehow get cleaned :whistling:

Truthfully, there is no quick and easy way, just get out the fillet knife and get it honed to a fine edge and go to town.

Now if you want me to come over to show you how you're supposed to eat them I cn be there in about 3 minutes.

It's going to take some time and effort regardless, prefer fillets, don't like picking bones out while eating. I have gotten pretty good and fast at cleaning fish, but rarely keep pan fish now, It's a full time job when the cleaning starts, If I get into some jumbos and big slabs worth keeping it can be worth it, but the smaller ones aren't worth it IMO.

Edited by GbayGiant

The only way to ensure that you don't have hours of cleaning ahead of you is to let them all go! As far as speeding up the process, I'd reccomend scaling them and then filleting them and leaving the skin on. It's faster and the skin gives the meat a little more flavour.

HH

I tried the electric knife....no good, too big, too wasteful.

You need IMO a 4" bladed filleting knife, cost $20.00 from Rapala.

The 6" blade I have is too big, unless you have Jumbo Perch.

It is a job.

It took me about 2 hrs to render 35 Perch into boneless, skinless fillet.

It is a job. It took me about 2 hrs to render 35 Perch into boneless, skinless fillet.

WOW, that's a long time. You are right Clampet about using a shorter blake as this makes the job easier. There is a guy that I know fillets perch bothside in less than minutes tops. Fillet it like you would normally but do not cut through the rib cage. As he is cuting around the rib cage, he then put his thumb between the rib cage and the meat and then just rips it off in a downward direction. If you do this correctly, there should be no bones at all. For me, it's about 3 mins. ea.

They still work. You just click over the tv sceen of your favorite fish.

Well I don't know what I'm doing wrong, clicked on the TV screen for walleye and this is what I get: "Unfortunately we are unable to find the article you are requesting. Please check the URL you have typed in, or try searching to help you find what you are looking for."

if you waste more meat with an electric knife than with a fillet knfie then you arent using the electric properly. with a good electric knife u can get more meat from around the spine. its normal for me to fillet fish and after im done cutting the fillets off all thats left is the head, spine and tail with no meat or rib bones left at all. very fast and easy to cut the ribs out of each fillet too

WOW, that's a long time. You are right Clampet about using a shorter blake as this makes the job easier. There is a guy that I know fillets perch bothside in less than minutes tops. Fillet it like you would normally but do not cut through the rib cage. As he is cuting around the rib cage, he then put his thumb between the rib cage and the meat and then just rips it off in a downward direction. If you do this correctly, there should be no bones at all. For me, it's about 3 mins. ea.

This is how I do it too. I can fillet them up pretty quick with no waste, just need a good sharp knife and a few stiff Rye's :canadian:

Takes me about an hour to do 40 or so......depends on size and how frozen they are.

Sinker

No speed tricks here.

I find using a board (or small piece of 1/4" plywood) to clean fish on better than using newspaper. The paper sticks to the slime like crazy and it clings to the skin. Use a board and at least the paper doesn't go all over the place. The board also prevents you from slicing through the paper into your countertop too.

Actually, the easiest and fasted way to clean any panfish is this;

take them to a fish processor and have them clean them for you! You can find many of them located at most Ports on Erie, they'll clean them for yah, while you clean out a bottle of beer or two waiting! No muss, no fuss!

HH