Olympic Hockey

DRIFTER_016

WOOHOO

What a game!!!!

Them Swiss sure payed a tough game.

Sidney Crosby for PM!!!!!! :lol:

Wow. Yeah. I sure hope Canada learned more from playing that one than the other teams will watching it. The Swiss brought it for sure, especially Hiller, and Canada didn't really have an answer much of the time. Sure hope Iginla's not hurt. Not surprised to see that Pronger's still a moron when it counts. Doughty's fumbling was a great argument for more experience on the ice.

Hopefully just a good wakeup call.

JF

Now you know why The Ducks got rid of Giueger (sp) & his contract to

The Leafs as Hillier is one good goalie even though he never seems to

makes a save standing up but usually on his knees.........

giguare is a good goalie and has proven that.

might i remind u, we have seen this before... how many teams have u seen with a good vetran goalie, have a young guy come in and play great. then, they sign him to a big contract extension, and ship out the vet... only to see the new guy fall back to reality the next season. happens all the time, cant just go saying hes the greatest and better then this guy or that guy, after half a season in net.

might i remind u, we have seen this before... how many teams have u seen with a good vetran goalie, have a young guy come in and play great. then, they sign him to a big contract extension, and ship out the vet... only to see the new guy fall back to reality the next season. happens all the time, cant just go saying hes the greatest and better then this guy or that guy, after half a season in net.

Bryan McCabe ? LOL

Last year in the playoffs Hillier was the goalie of record when The Ducks (8) defeated The Sharks (1)

in the first round of the playoffs so it is not after a half season in net - might i remind u..............

Yes I have faith in this team..I think this is the wake-up they needed! As for why Pronger is on the team and Phaneuf or green isint goes way beyond me..Yikes

This sort of "cronyism" will always take place as long as there are ex-NHL'ers doing the picking. There are always one or two "back in the day" picks. I think you could make the same case for Niedermeyer (sp) as far as being old goes, but at least he's not a complete tool like Pronger has always been.

Jim

Hopfully a wake up for Canada, but I don't think so, this team is going no where just like 2006. I think Russia got a big wake up last night aswell losing to Slovakia. This tournament is up in air, any of the top teams can win the gold

It's starting to look like this tournament will feature goaltending. The young millionaires will be the supporting cast. As someone else said here I think Canada needs to quit with the cutesy pass plays and use the cannons they've got. Knock down a few of the opposition with those shots that seemed to do more damage to our own players last night, beat up on the Streits of the world, and take a page from Kessel's book (Sid figgered it out in the shootout). I still say it's our tournament to lose. I suspect the players would rather win, and will. But another "scare" will be a bad sign.

On a positive note there sure is a surplus of incredible talent on our team. Now if only they can turn it into team talent.

JF

this was a test for the fans to see if they were awake.

By no means should Canada have won this game....yes them outshot them, but Canada played absolutly terrible for the last two periods. Way to many give aways and too many times caught watching the Swiss team. It almost looked like they were there simple for a little skate. They showed absolutly no emotion for the last periods except for when Morrow and Richards were on the ice playing "Canadian" hockey.

Congrats to the Swiss team for showing up to play!

Boo to Canada for deciding to sit this one out.

Still rooting for them though...hopefully they play better against the U.S. otherwise, it aint going to be pretty...

Que ..in the Steve Yzerman, us against them speach.....................................Now

In Canada's defence they more than doubled the shot output of the Swiss and held them to only 3 shots in the third while getting something like a dozen. With 47 shots in the game it speaks to Hiller's outstanding goaltending, and speaks volumes when one understands that Canada wasn't even playing close to their potential. Another thing - save for, I believe, 4 players including their their two star NHLers Streit and Hiller, the Swiss team has been reasonably intact and playing somewhat regularly for about 4 years now, so I'm giving Canada the benefit of the doubt on this one. Hockey's still a team game and throwing a bunch of over achievers together doth not a team make. There needs to be some familiarity, chemistry, to make it a team. What we have right now is a load of talent but not much chemistry. Hopefully they're all good enough to gel into a team quickly. And hopefully the Swiss are the exception in this tournament, an experienced team with the chemistry already in place.

YMMV

JF

I don't particularly watch too much hockey, but HOLY COW what a game last night. As much as I am rooting for Canada, the Swiss were amazing. From the defence to the goal keeping they made for a fantastic game. It's nice to see competition instead of a slaughter. I was on the edge of my seat all night watching that game last night.