Best way to store an anchor rope

Oggie

Just wondering if anyone has a magical way to store 200' of anchor rope? I'm thinking about a wooden flat spool with the deep V cuts on each end. The rope is always under foot and I need to anchor both ends of the boat so I have twice the rope kicking around.

Ideas/solutions.

Dan O.

I have 100ft right now on a 12lb anchor and store both the anchor and rope (coiled and tied) in a blue recycling bag. Any of the heavier recycling shopping bags would work too. I got tired of tripping over rope or having it loose in the storage compartments. I looked at different ways of storing the rope but they all took up too much space. Tried seeing if an air hose spool or extension cord holder would work but never found anything rugged enough to last

and yellow nylon rope is the worst, get some good anchor rope like wb said

Tie the end to a bucket, feed the rope into the bucket any way you want and you're done. When you deploy the anchor, tie off the rope to the boat and leave the rest in the bucket.

Just be sure to drain the bucket at the end of the day so your ropes don't rot.

Tie the end to a bucket, feed the rope into the bucket any way you want and you're done. When you deploy the anchor, tie off the rope to the boat and leave the rest in the bucket.

Just be sure to drain the bucket at the end of the day so your ropes don't rot.

Milk crates work great too!!!!

No need to worry about draining either.

I have a 2' long piece of 1x6 with a v notch in each end. I wrap 150' on it. Keep the anchor tied on.

I need to put a hand hole in it so its easier to hang on to for wrapping and unspooling.

Another trick is to put a knot in the rope a few feet from the end so you know when to watch it pulling it up so as not to bang the anchor into the boat and scratch it.

ropes deploy well from a rope bag as long as they are stuffed randomly into the bag. using a mesh bag will allow for some chance for the rope to dry, as we all know ropes suffer from mildew and rot. synthetic double braids are pretty resistant. i wash and hang my ropes regularly and they last forever. just for interest wash your ropes with mild detergent in the washing machine. "daisy chain" the rope to avoid tangling. if you find a mesh bag you like you can just hang the bag up every now and then. good luck.