Driving on to a trailer

HTHM

Rule #1.. trim motor as high as you can while still in the water enough to pee! (that's the motor.. not you!).. otherwise props get expensive!

Rule #2.. drive it straight on.. if you don't think you are lined up right.. reverse before it's too late!

Edited by irishfield

Load guides!! Load guides make it nearly dummy-proof (my kind of accessory!)

I always trimmed up, lined up and just let her go. You kinda get the feel of your trailer after awhile. Plus when on land see how close to the ground your skeg is to get an idea how much you need to trim. Take into account that your prop with pull crap off the bottom if it is too close and if you are unlucky you could pull up a small rock and ding your prop.

I found that owning and operating a boat (and trailer) was a lot like becoming a dad; I didn't know bugger all about it when I started, but just fell into it rather quickly.

I think that you learn a lot about it through osmosis and without realizing. That is to say that you have been around it so long that you picked it up without realizing, then when it becomes time you just do it.

I am not sure that I follow you though, I mean you have a boat and trailer, no?

Jim

Do what I did....start out with a really inexpensive boat and motor...lol.

Haven't dinged a prop yet...but then again if there's any question I don't try it. I can't trim up my motor...it's either down or all the way up...so I have to be careful what launches to do that on.

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned yet; before you attempt power loading the boat, is check with the ramp operator/owner.

Most don’t care; but I know of a few places, that if you try power loading; they’ll tear a strip off you that will not be forgotten. I’m speaking from experience; my ears are still ringing from an incident, in Port Stanley. All I did was give the throttle a good short shot after I was lined up and he acted like; I hit the trailer at full throttle, man was he pissed.

They all have their reasons, for not allowing power loading; some are crap, some have merit; but it is their place and I guess: if we want to use it, we should follow their rules.

Dan.

Edited by DanD

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned yet; before you attempt power loading the boat, is check with the ram operator/owner.

Most don’t care; but I know of a few places, that if you try power loading; they’ll tear a strip off you that will not be forgotten. I’m speaking from experience; my ears are still ringing from an incident, in Port Stanley. All I did was give the throttle a good short shot after I was lined up and he acted like; I hit the trailer at full throttle, man was he pissed.

They all have their reasons, for not allowing power loading; some are crap, some have merit; but it is their place and I guess: if we want to use it, we should follow their rules.

Dan.

Thats correct Dan. Sparrow lake launch(Lauderdale ) I beleive will take a conneption fit if doing power loading. Good point.

It's also very important how far into the water you back your trailer, you will get to know after a while where the bunks should be in relation to the water level to make it easy to load.

Practice Makes Perfect lol

Good Luck

I go half to two-thirds in the water...I find it almost easier if I'm a little on the shallow side; otherwise the bunks are too deep to guide the boat up on the trailer.

all of our custom trailers included delivery. we found if we left it to the customer they said the trailer didn't work, or fit. so every trailer got fitted and every customer got a lesson on launching and recovery. after about 400 trailers and trips to countless boat ramps i got to the point where i could load/unload inside of 2-3 minutes.

to launch i give out 4-5 ft of slack in the winch line prior to backing down into the water. (lock the winch!) back up til the boat just floats. dry bunks and even rollers are like glue, she's not going too fall off . board the boat from the bow or dock, lean over and uncouple the winch line (or have someone else on the tongue do it for you). the few feet of slack insures the bow eye doesn't hang up on the bow roller. start motor at high trim level and you are off. if your reversing skills are good just push it to the dock if you like.

to recover, lay out 6-8 feet of winch line, lay it over the first cross member. back up AS STRAIGHT AS POSSIBLE, until the front bunks, rollers disappear. they are now wet and will slide better. pull forward until you can see about 1 foot of bunk out of the water. this is probably the most important thing, you are now driving a triangle into a rectangle and it has no choice but to center itself! now drive the boat onto the trailer as straight as possible, at a reasonable speed but enough to still be able to steer. it being perfectly straight right off the bat is not critical, because as you retrive with the winch the boat will center itself as it climbs the bunks. once im hooked up on the bunks (maybe with some helpful, but gentle throttle) i walk to the bow, lean over and grab the winch line i layed out earlier. hook it to the bow eye and exit the boat, either from bow to tongue or via the dock. standing on the tongue with the winch in low gear slowly and steadily bring the boat up. let the bunks do the work of straightening the boat. absolutely jam it up to the bow roller as the bow will climb when you leave the water. (proper trailer setup is important). if it gets too difficult to crank, get back in the truck and back up a foot or two, as the boat is already straight and up on the bunks you shouldn't lose your center. put on your safety and slowly climb the ramp. if not perfectly centered, back up and float the boat again (just barely!) and repeat the process.

good luck hope you get lots of practice! and everyone remember the ramp is not the place to mess around with your bumpers and bait! get the dutch off the ramp when you're done!!

The easiest way, is roller will electric winch.

Roller trailers are harder on the boats hull.

Due too the small pressure points.

I had a 21ft glass boat this way.

It also fall off at the launch.

All unhooked and a friend holding the bow line.

Kid ran behind the boat,I touch the brake's and off went the boat.

the funny thing for me is, I was told to "go take the boat to the launch and meet your father" one day and it just hit me as to how to land the boat on the trailer. It didn't take long at all (as long as you are comfortable in the boat) and it should only take a few minutes.

Trim, speed and wind is key. Not being afraid is the biggest thing...