Pet Deer Killed...

Gerritt

I read it in the Toronto Sun this morning, I hope they throw the book at him! Shooting from the road; maybe he couldn't see the two orange collars on the deer but you have to wonder. Some people just have to kill things! I think it is very sad that when a wild animal becomes tame and looses it's fear of humans and it gets killed because of it.

We feed ducks here every year, we have two that have returned for the last three years now, we've even named them Quackers, and Cheese. Every year they have their young and they get so tame that they will come and take food right out of my hand, I can usually pick the ducklings up and hold them without mom or dad getting too upset about it. I am realistic enough to understand that come fall they will be fair game, as long as it is done within the law!

I don't really know all the details, but I don't know if I would notice a collar on it's neck making it a pet

I know I get excited when about to shoot an animal and ask myself that is a deer not a person or dog or cow and if yes, do I have a clear, safe shot, if yes pull trigger , now I have to ask is it a family pet...I don't think so..

if everything else about the kill was legal, I could be that guy

edit:

OK if he shot from the road, he should go down

Edited by Terry

They burried the deer?

Doesn't the MNR usually donate to the soup kitchen or something?..Seems a waste to me.

I was wonderin about where it was. Its legal to shoot from the road up here...I guess not there, and the guy shouldn't have left it behind.

I don't agree with domesticating a wild animal though...gotta be a law against that.

They burried the deer?

Doesn't the MNR usually donate to the soup kitchen or something?..Seems a waste to me.

I was wonderin about where it was. Its legal to shoot from the road up here...I guess not there, and the guy shouldn't have left it behind.

I don't agree with domesticating a wild animal though...gotta be a law against that.

Pretty hard to donate a family pet to the soup kitchen.

They burried the deer?

You make it sound like you can stand ON the road and shoot.... not true... you have to step off of the 'maintained' section of the road. Even the gravel shoulder is considered maintained.

My understnding is that on Kings and on secondary highways and now even on any year-round maintained gravel road you must be on the other side of the fence (or where it would be separating roadland and adjacent land) along the road. But IMO the 'pet' owners are who really screwed up. They should have put it in the barn as their neighbour offered. Nothing good can come out of a pet that is fair game during hunting season. Orange collars saying 'Don't shoot me' on a deer. Seems the only way to read the collar is by shooting the deer. Silly people who have placed the bait and now as hunters themselves should be ashamed the public has another bad example of 'hunters' to use against us. The media uses the word 'hunter' not 'poacher'. Hunters now have to pay for the foolishness of both the hunter and the 'pet' owners.

It wasnt reported,but they shot it out of the vehicle window,the deer was standing in the front yard of the house along with the pet dogs.This deer was so tame it would go in the house and lay on the floor or chesterfield alongside the kids and dogs.They lived in the Cooper area north of Madoc.

Edited by gaspumper

They burried the deer?

The deer was brought to them as a baby fawn, they helped it survive, apart from that they let nature take it's course (read the story)with the exception that during hunting season they put two orange collars on it hoping that a hunter would respect the fact that this wasn't a "wild" deer.

My issue isn't so much that this guy shot it as it is with the fact that he did so illeagily and if he was crass enough to violate the law by shooting from the road, then ignorant enough to leave it, was he stupid enough to have shot it realizing that it wasn't a wild deer and shot it just for the sake of killing something?

It wasnt reported,but they shot it out of the vehicle window,the deer was standing in the front yard of the house along with the pet dogs.This deer was so tame it would go in the house and lay on the floor or chesterfield alongside the kids and dogs.They lived in the Cooper area north of Madoc.

If the deer really was in the front yard and there were dogs near by then the poacher took an awful big chance with others' safety by discharging his weapon in that direction.

Pet deer, wild deer or no deer...anyone would takes a shot in the direction of my dog or my house will have a bigger problem on their hands than a ticket from the MNR. I think most of us feel the same way.

Gerritt, based on your last two posts (both of which have been reactions to news stories) it would be my advice to turn off the TV and quit buying the paper.

Life is too short to let yourself be wound up by people who's job it is to wind you up.

Have you seen the Old Mill this season, it's absolutely stunning. After you check it out go to Wiggies for a pint and some local flavour.

All the best!!

Jim

Shooting anything from the vehicle is not hunting, it's illegal, unsporting and poaching plain and simple. I hope he gets the book thrown at him because this crap goes on all the time, not just with tame deer. This story will get tons of press and makes all hunters look like asses. They should publish the guys name and let the shaming begin. What an idiot.

My understnding is that on Kings and on secondary highways and now even on any year-round maintained gravel road you must be on the other side of the fence (or where it would be separating roadland and adjacent land) along the road.

That is the case for Southern Ontario. There are different rules for Northern Ontario - like I said, off the maintained part of the road.

Throw the book at them I say.I wonder how many people they would catch poaching,using a mech dear with collars.Those colors and collars are there for a reason.The very last time out hunting I came across a father and very young son hunting.Not seeing them at the time(and no blaze orange on at all)i thought it was a few rabbits running around,playing.Coming closer to me I pointed and thank god I say what I was pointing at.I hope the father learned a leason.The boy was in tears and me,havent been out since.10 yrs....or soThrow the book at them,by all means.We have a few rabbits that frequent my front yard and the neighbours yards.I leave some treats for them at times in the morning.They are our so called pets,and there is no hunting in my area.

Timmeh, first time hunters would be the ones that should know BEST to not hunt like that... in order to get a hunting license you need to take the hunter's safety course, which presumably, would outline those kind of things. Unless, of course, one took the course, and didn't hunt for another 20 years after, and would hence forget.

I have no problem with the deer being shot, if done so in a legal manner (as some have pointed out). I mean, kids who live on farms befriend lots of animals that end up on the dinner table. People own dogs and cats, and they don't live forever either. You want a deer for a pet -- an animal with a legal hunting season -- then you will always risk experiencing that kind of loss. But hunting is not the "old wild west," and there are rules that must be followed -- for the safety of everyone. And not retrieving the deer... I mean, what the heck is that all about? They obviously knew they were doing something wrong and should be treated accordingly.

Edited by MuskiesnLakers

That is the case for Southern Ontario. There are different rules for Northern Ontario - like I said, off the maintained part of the road.

My book says from the "travelled" portion of the road. If the road is paved, the shoulder isn't the travelled portion.

The shoulder of a gravelled road isn't either.

I don't understand why in southern Ontario you can't shoot from the same spot. As long as you are not shooting across or along, whats it matter if you cross the ditch and go 30 feet into the bush. Heck, half the stuff I shoot, if I did that I would be shooting back towards the road.

WRONG on the families part, WRONG on the hunters part. WRONG WRONG WRONG

Theres some P3TA fuel for ya. :wallbash::wallbash:

Thanks jackass :angry::angry:

As for the writter on this one,,,,,,,nice pulling, on the heart string . :jerry:

Timmeh, first time hunters would be the ones that should know BEST to hunt like that...

True,but if they were brought up like that,then they just got thier lic,so they could hunt,I mean pouch.

I don't believe thats accurate...if he shot out the car window and killed the deer in the front yard of the house wouldn't he be shooting directly at the house...even poachers aren't that stupid...and maybe he never retreived the animal because there were 2 dogs there as the story stated...to make a deer a pet is a little odd I guess but things are what they are...if I saw the tape I would probably consider it to be debris and take the deer as well and only in a legal situation...sad story who's too say whos right or wrong...gotta say if I saw sombody shoot my "family pet" at 14 I may embelish the story to my parents a little...I'm not saying he did but a guy rolls up infront of your house sees a deer and 2 dogs, kills the deer, takes off, all in front of a boy close enough to read his license plate???? Somthing smells a little about this one