ICE FISHING THIS WINTER IN INNISFIL

JFR

Greetings Ice Fishers

It seems that the Town of Innisfil is planning on charging a fee for use of the access to Lake Simcoe ice fishing through Innisfil Beach Park.

This article appeared in the Dec 2nd issue of the local community newspaper.

If and when it comes into effect, please don't bust my chops or other residents of Innisfil, take a look at your fellow fishers and slobs who think nothing of leaving a mess every weekend.

This is the article in full:

Non-residents may face winter parking rates

By Chris Simon

Out-of-town ice fishers could be paying to cast their lines near Innisfil Beach Park this winter.

A town committee approved a plan to charge non-residents $10 to enter and park their vehicles at the facility this winter, during a meeting last week. If approved by council, the charge would be in effect in time for the start of the ice fishing season, which usually runs from January to March.

"This is because of the ongoing problems we have down there, with all the garbage and damage," said deputy mayor Gord Wauchope. "The people from out of town are not taking care of the park. When spring (hits), there's a lot of clean-up."

Currently, entrance to the park is free from October to April. But the town is forced to cover ongoing maintenance and snowplowing expenses for the park during colder months, while staff repair turf damage and pickup garbage each spring.

Staff estimate ice fishing costs the municipality about $12,200 in maintenance costs each year.

"Many municipalities around the lake charge for parking during ice fishing season," said community services director Kerry Columbus, noting most other municipalities charge between $5 and $10 for parking.

"Innisfil is one of a few who do not charge. Implementing fees would help offset these direct costs now covered by taxpayers. We would be at the top end of the charge rung."

Staff would also need to be hired, to collect the fees at the park entrance gate, a move that is expected to cost the municipality about $6,500. However, the municipality should recover those expenses, said Columbus.

"Ice fishing is a major winter use of the park, providing an economic stimulus Bridge opens to the local economy, (through) gear, bait, food and gas," he said. "The implementation of a fee should not be a deterrent for continued use by non-residents."

As part of the plan, staff will prepare a cost/benefit analysis on the rate, following the conclusion of the ice fishing season.

"This is a fair start," said councillor Rod Boynton. "We're not trying to ding our residents; we've worked to really relieve their costs. It would be good to study this for one season, then look at it again next year."

http://www.innisfilscope.com/news/2009-12-...king_rates.html

If and when it comes into effect, please don't bust my chops or other residents of Innisfil, take a look at your fellow fishers and slobs who think nothing of leaving a mess every weekend.

Not the least bit surprised John and I don't blame the town or the residents at all. Somebody has to pay to clean up after the filthy pigs we have to share the lakes with and it's not just ice fishermen cause those pigs leave their garbage in the summer too.

I've used the free boat ramp at the Chemong causeway for years and it's like launching the boat in the town dump and I just know that one of these days I'm gonna pull up there and see somebody collecting $$$$ to use it.

When I read about the K-Lakes opening for ice fishing this year, the 1st thing I thought of was those lakes will start looking like Simcoe during the winter now too.

So sad......

I don't have a problem with a $10.00 fee, it's more reasonable than the boat launching fee there.

I suspect this will increase the revenue for the township from all the parking tickets issued to those trying to save $10.00....LOL

I just hope they have someone on duty early enough to allow us to get in the park and on the ice before sunrise.

Thats not too bad really...i sometimes pay a $10 fee to use lakes in Provincial Parks up here....its just a shame that the reason for introducing the fee is some peoples total disrespect for the very environment they are out supposedly enjoying.

Did make me think how they know its 'Out of Towners' responsible.......i know up here its definitely mostly a few local idiots that mess up a couple of spots i go to....which really ticks me off.

Guest gbfisher

I don't fish out of Innisfil Beach Park but I also can't blame them for charging. Someone's gotta clean up after the littering morons and you'll probably hear from some of them on this post..... :lol:

I would be in favour of a seasonal winter pass, say $50-60, something that can be left on the dash/window of the vehicle, this would allow early access if they don't have "pay as you go machines" like they do in some other parks.

As for the requirement to plow the lots, can't really point fingers there, a couple of times it was so bad, it was near impossible to "find" the parking lots for the amount of snow. Turf damage, probably from those that go bee lining from the parking lots directly out to the ice, low end IQ I guess.

Then they should also ding those that park willy nilly along both sides of the roadways in the park beside the skating rinks, couple of times it was so bad you could barely get through the main route. I could almost hear banjos playing in the background.

Well, since people from Innisfil Beach Park might read this, I don't have an issue with the $10 but I hope this means that you will open the washrooms, and empty the garbage bin's.

No to say some people are not slobs, but I have seen it up there with the garbage piled around the one bin just on the off chance someone might clean it.. along comes a big wind and its everywhere.

Wonder how this would effect the fishing for tyler event?

$10 bucks is reasonable but everyone should pay not just the out of towners

Out of towners don't get to vote for low rent politicians. They can take their business elsewhere however.

Out of town winter anglers are not the sole source of the problems, but they are easy to target. Good luck to 'em.

In a democracy you ALWAYS get the government you deserve.

A somewhat private lake in the camberidge area has been recently charging $10to park only for the parking in the winter only.They are trying to clean it up, and the mess that some leave behind on the ice,its a joke.No name calling here,Ill keep an eye open this year as ussual.And if your hungry there is a little restaurant that you have to pass to get to the lake.If your thirsty they do have a liquor license also.No need for us to clean your mess,Im not a bussboy,but feel like oneanyway.A little gem i like to go to.cheers to mcclintock and rest to what your doing for the lake.A concert benefit every year.10 bucks will go a long way,no issues for me to pay a little at all.