Walmart

Billy Bob

It's not like I've shopped there very much in the past, but I sure as heck WON'T be shopping there in the future. If they had attempted to keep the location open but were not profitable because of the union, that would be one thing, but they didn't. The thing is they knew that the location in question WOULD have remained profitable, so they shut it down to avoid setting that precedent.

The clear winner in this story is the Quebec town that has managed to rid itself of it's local Walmart. I'd love to see the same exact thing happen here in Sudbury. Even with their low prices on crappy merchandise, Walmart is not a net benefit to the communities it does business in.

Goggle the words "Walmart" + "evil" and learn a little about how they treat everyone they do business with. Any person, organization or entity that gets in the way of Walmart's increased profitability is thoroughly destroyed. They use their awesome power to leverage every possible cent they can from their employees, suppliers, and the very communities they operate in. The way Walmart is run is a testament to human greed, and reminds us that for some people, enough is never enough.

I thought this was a new store closure. It's just a decision handed down regarding a store closure in 2005.

I might be partially wrong then because the company is claiming that location was not profitable. That claim seems somewhat dubious to me...I'm sure Walmart has creative accountants and lawyers on their payrole. Who knows?

If my place ever decided to join a union we would shut down instantly.

At the mine I worked with a guy that had previously owned his own electrical contracting company. His employees voted to go union and he did just what you are suggesting, he shut the business down immediately. He absolutely refused to run a union shop, which he was totally within his right to do. The funny thing is that after he did so, and needed a job himself, the first job he applied for was a job at INCO, which is unionized. I couldn't help but wonder why he thought his employees didn't have the right belong to a union, but that it was OK for him.

Yeah did they ever teach Wal-mart a lesson .... :asshat:

They put themselves out of a Job...... :blink::blink::blink:

Kudos to Wal-Mart... :clapping:

I wasn't refering to the employees (sorry, I thought I'd made that clear) although they're probably better off working for who ever opens up to fill Walmart's void in that particular market. I was refering to the town itself that no longer has a Walmart draining dollars away from its local economy.

Edited by Fishnwire

The problem with this whole us 'n them thang between the pro-union and anti-union sectors is that in the end it's just like the politicians we love to hate - it smacks too much of what's best for the party and too little about what's best for everyone.

Okay, I'll admit up front I'm not a union sympathizer. I believe that back in the day the unions did a good thing for the downtrodden wage labourer but today it's come full circle to the point that unions have become the bullies and the only way to fight them is to keep them out of the shop. That's what Walmart is doing and I can't say I blame them. It's not out of the question that Walmart is a hardnosed employer but if the unions had used a little restraint and good judgment in the past in how they worked their end of the deal they might have kept the door open to being in all the shops that needed them. They've been guilty of overkill and it's costing the labourers of the world now. Dunno what the answer is but the unions have screwed themselves. They're a dying breed, and that's a fact. Look around at how little sympathy they have outside of self pity.

Kinda like politicians today. Anyone here really feel a whole lotta love and trust for them any more?

JF

When I finished high school I went to work for Sears. 4 years in a warehouse getting in shape and making good bucks (for around here at the time anyway). Then got on driving transport for them for the next 6 years, it was a great job, benefits, decent pay and a future pension plan.

But some dudes were disgruntled about some trivial stuff and started talking union. That was January 1985. We got the news in February, moving operations to Barrie guys, where do you want to go?, we are shutting North Bay down.

It was pretty tough to take at the time but it all turned out a whole lot better for me anyway.

The problem with this whole us 'n them thang between the pro-union and anti-union sectors is that in the end it's just like the politicians we love to hate - it smacks too much of what's best for the party and too little about what's best for everyone.

Okay, I'll admit up front I'm not a union sympathizer. I believe that back in the day the unions did a good thing for the downtrodden wage labourer but today it's come full circle to the point that unions have become the bullies and the only way to fight them is to keep them out of the shop. That's what Walmart is doing and I can't say I blame them. It's not out of the question that Walmart is a hardnosed employer but if the unions had used a little restraint and good judgment in the past in how they worked their end of the deal they might have kept the door open to being in all the shops that needed them. They've been guilty of overkill and it's costing the labourers of the world now. Dunno what the answer is but the unions have screwed themselves. They're a dying breed, and that's a fact. Look around at how little sympathy they have outside of self pity.

Kinda like politicians today. Anyone here really feel a whole lotta love and trust for them any more?

JF

compare stelco(uss now or was) to dofasco,whois still working.I am not employed by either,but I know a lot who are.Who is happier nowa days?I wish I was a dofasco employee.no union but will ante up.

They put themselves out of a Job......

... yeah, you can't fix stupid eh!

I wasn't refering to the employees (sorry, I thought I'd made that clear) although they're probably better off working for who ever opens up to fill Walmart's void in that particular market. I was refering to the town itself that no longer has a Walmart draining dollars away from its local economy.

Well since you're a Wal-Mart hater, I guess you've never seen the people that work there... most of them couldn't work somewhere else. Tim Hortons can only employ soo many people in a town yanno. :rolleyes:

As far as the Wal-Mart shoppers go, they'll just drive to the next closest town that has a Wal-Mart and shop there... taking their tax money with them!!! :P

Those union wannabe's really helped that town eh! <_<

As far as the Wal-Mart shoppers go, they'll just drive to the next closest town that has a Wal-Mart and shop there... taking their tax money with them!!!

I drive to Bradford and Orrilla for the super wally worlds. :P

Got to love the big American value packaging :lol:

I drive to Bradford and Orrilla for the super wally worlds. :P

REDNECK!!! :w00t:

I have a super wally 15 miles to the east and 20 miles to the west of me, both are open 24 hrs. a day 7 days a week, 363 days a year.. they only close for Easter Sunday and Christmas Day!

Wal-Mart isn't just a shopping experience... it's a CULT!!!

... as for the the people that don't like Wal-Mart, we'd appreciate it if you wouldn't shop there... it makes the checkout lines shorter... and we didn't want to shop with your nasty :asshat: anyway!!! <_<

Say what you will about unions. Sooner or later many of us will be working in a Walmart because that's the only jobs that will be left!

Working environment at that company is the pits. Low pay, crappy hours, lousy shifts and morons for managers (well some at least). Not only that but full time is considered 28 hours a week...not 40 as you would expect. This gives them the advantage of cutting back on hours in the fall of the year and after the Xmas season is said and done. They can still consider an employee full time so they can avoid many problems associated with cutting back.

Do Walmart employees need a union to stand up for their rights? I would say yes they do, if you disagree then go ahead, try working for them. I tried it for a month, full time too, got in a disagreement with an idiot manager who had her head stuck up in a cloud and told her to stick it. Just wasn't worth it. I did it for a change from what I had been doing figuring it would be interesting to explore and investigate the company from the inside and found I didn't care for it even though I had a lot of respect for the late Sam Walton and how he made his company the largest in the world but no body knows what anyone puts up with until you have walked a mile in their shoes. Too bad the union didn't win as it would certainly have looked good on Walmart.