Friday the 13th strikes!

limeyangler

Well, got the bad news today........i'm probably unemployed by next week. The real kicker is my wife works for the same firm and is also likely to get axed too.

I actually feel a little excited because this is definitely an opportunity to explore new options/broaden horizons....hell.....might even start as a dock boy and work on becoming a fishing guide up here...DREAM COME TRUE!!! might just be the push i needed.

I guess i'm just not feeling the excitement as much as i could because the reality is we are pretty screwed. Lots of folk already been laid off from the forestry industry up here.....guess i know how they all felt now.

Good news is, we have a new baby...what more incentive can you get to get of yer butt and sort things out...somehow...lol...anyhow!

I'm gonna be a really miserable dude for a while...lol...fishing budget will take a huge hit....and to top it off i'll have to quit smoking...HEY...another positive :D but boy i'll be moody...lol

Wow...what a day.....

Oh well, i have a wife that loves me ( we'll see if she still does after 2 weeks of not smoking), a beautifull baby, a dozen minnows in the bucket.....and a lake at the bottom of the yard to go drown them in....alls not lost!

PS.....I will be taking Friday the 13th very seriously from here on out :o

Hey Simon,

Take a deep breath,

Make sure you give lots of hugs and kisses to the family,

and develop a plan this weekend.

Don't get discouraged.

You'll pull through.

Good luck! :)

ps. been there done that! ;)

Chin up Simon. You've got a great attitude and lot's going for you.

I went through it 2 years ago and it sure put me on my arse so to speak. I am still going through it to some extent. You'll learn who your true friends are.

One thing I would recommend is take a couple of weeks off and think about what you really want to do and what is realistic.

Please note your family is very important and is what will ultimately pull you through. I think you know that already.

Also don't lose faith in yourself (you shouldn't it's not you its the economy) you need it now more than ever and so do those around you.

If you want to talk PM me.

P.S. You'd make a great guide/dock boy.

That's not the best report that you've posted Simon. I hope things work out for you and the family. Let me tell you a little bit about my day at work today. It involves you, believe it or not. I'm currently putting a bid together for a huge hvac job at the MNR facility in Dryden on Ghost Lake Road. I was supposed to be in Dryden yesterday for a mandatory site visit, but my ill health didn't permit that. Another company rep made the trip. It's probably close to a year long job. Anyways, I was thinking about what I'd do if we got the job and I had to spend that much time in Dryden. Meeting you and spending some time on the water immediately came to mind. Perhaps that will still happen. The bids close in two weeks or so. I'll let you know how I make out. I'm sharpening my pencil for this job. It looks like a nice one. In the meantime, keep your chin up. You'll be just fine in the long run I'm sure.

its a transition that most people get to go through around ten times in their life in this day and age....so im not going to pass on condolences but i will pass on congratulations to your new found freedoms from the previous and embrace the excitement of the future..

Cheers

You've got a wife that loves you, a new baby, your quitting smoking & you've got a lake at the end of your property........That's about all any man needs.

A job is just a "thing" and another one will show up shortly.

Life is good for you Simon & will only get better :thumbsup_anim:

Oh well, i have a wife that loves me ( we'll see if she still does after 2 weeks of not smoking), a beautifull baby, a dozen minnows in the bucket.....and a lake at the bottom of the yard to go drown them in....alls not lost!

You are refering to just the minnows.....right. :w00t: (j/k) :D

I'd say with your outlook on the whole situation Simon that you'll come out of this, on top! :thumbsup_anim:

Well, got the bad news today........i'm probably unemployed by next week. The real kicker is my wife works for the same firm and is also likely to get axed too.

I actually feel a little excited because this is definitely an opportunity to explore new options/broaden horizons....hell.....might even start as a dock boy and work on becoming a fishing guide up here...DREAM COME TRUE!!! might just be the push i needed.

I guess i'm just not feeling the excitement as much as i could because the reality is we are pretty screwed. Lots of folk already been laid off from the forestry industry up here.....guess i know how they all felt now.

Good news is, we have a new baby...what more incentive can you get to get of yer butt and sort things out...somehow...lol...anyhow!

I'm gonna be a really miserable dude for a while...lol...fishing budget will take a huge hit....and to top it off i'll have to quit smoking...HEY...another positive :D but boy i'll be moody...lol

Wow...what a day.....

PS.....I will be taking Friday the 13th very seriously from here on out :o

I am sorry to hear that... hang in there...

this recession is far from over, contrary to wht a lot of people think...the past few months were just a blip

I wish you luck

Simon, just a word of advice.

When I filed for my Employment insurance (EI) no one told me I needed to have a 2 week period of absolutely NO income in order for the program to kick in. When you file for EI be sure to ask if there is this stipulation. I got screwed around for 20 weeks because no one told me.

Good luck in the future.

Back in the winter of 2000 I got laid off, I took it as an opportunity to go back to school.

It was the best thing I could have done as I'm now employed with the Govt. of the NWT doing a job I really like in a place I really like. Plus when I retire I will actually have a good pension!!!! :D

UI paid for 1/2 my schooling and paid me while I went to school (although not much).

Simon, just a word of advice.

When I filed for my Employment insurance (EI) no one told me I needed to have a 2 week period of absolutely NO income in order for the program to kick in. When you file for EI be sure to ask if there is this stipulation. I got screwed around for 20 weeks because no one told me.

The two week waiting period has been in place for decades. I can't imagine why this cost you 20 weeks of being screwed around. Bottom line is to expect a one week cheque after 5 weeks, and then a 2 week cheque every two weeks after that.

I got screwed around because I kept making some money when I got my separation slip. no one at EI told me of the 2 week waiting period. After 30 years of working constantly and never having filed for EI before, I went in and got my forms submitted but as you can imagine, at that stageof my life, i always felt worried as to how I could keep up with the bills.

No one at EI told me of the waiting period and so I kept filing my reports and any money I picked up from odd jobs I got, when I finally went to the EI and asked what was happening to my money from them, then they told me I needed NO income for 2 weeks.

They also never told me of any limit I could make before the EI wouldn't pay because I made too much in that reporting period.

Make sure you get all the questions you have answered when you apply, then you will know what you are up against.

Bummer to hear that for the two of you....

My wife and I experienced a similar situation in 2000..

In retrospect, our relationship grew stronger and our priorities in life got re-arranged in to a direction that we had never truly appreciated before.

The best advice given to our family at that time was "staying on the 24 hour plan" and observing an "attitude of gratitude".

God bless and prayers from London

Splashhopper and family

Well guys and gals....that was simply overwhelming....thank you , thank you!

I had to show my wife all your kind words and excellent advice which comes from a lot of you that have faced a similar challenge(opportunity) she thought it was amazing and made her feel much better about the situation...as did I.

Its not 100%......but it looks like the axe will fall, screw them say I....lol....and with that i went Musky fishing with my buddy Lew who was made redundant when the Mill here axed another 400 jobs about 6 months ago.

Once again thanks to everyone who replied to this thread :)