Ling.

fishermccann

I ate some a couple of seasons ago, best tasting fish around if ya ask me...and yes...they are absolutely related to cod...same genus or whatever the scientific word is.

I researched it after tasting it because it is EXACTLY LIKE COD...did it in a beer batter...awesome!

Two reasons i have not eaten more is because getting the skin off looked a bit of a chore (the guy i was with did a slit all round the head , grabbed some pliers and pulled...peeled it like a banana,

the other reason was that unless you get a fairly decent size one there was not much meat to be had off it, but that might just be his skinning abilities...but mine would be worse.

As mentioned earlier, you cannot avoid catching them through the ice on temagami... once it gets dark, goodbye trout/whitefish and hello ling.

Not knowing how to fillet them, we'd just pack it in once dark hit because they'd be on our lines non-stop.

We caught some in the 3-5lb range mainly. Nothing monstrous.

Seen them in Algonquin Park as well.

i only know of one lake up here in the sault that has them and was told back in the day some finlanders planted them in there. would the mnr know of other lakes with decent populations of ling?

They are in the river, lots in the 4-7 lbs range.

good to know kinger! ive never tried to target them soft water fishing. you care to give me more info on targeting them in the river? if so shoot me an PM. the only lake i know with them is paquette on the ranger, you get tons but they are only 1-2lbs and ive only got them ice fishing.

How to skin a Burbit eh!

Mmmmmmmmmmmm!!!... fresh Burbit! :P

The same exact way I skin and fillet a Catfish!!!

... except I use these!

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/template...=0053579014941a

... much better than regular pliers for skinning scaleless fish!!!

Edited by GCD

This is one out of Nipissing. It tasted okay.

Nice mottled colour. Seems to me I usually see them darker than that.

---

Interesting recipe in that one Youtube clip. Boil for 7 minutes, then sauté in butter. Will have to try that some time!

Poor man's lobster? :)

Edited by Jocko

I caught this one on May 21, 2009 jigging for whities on simcoe. 80FOW on a badboy type jig. First and only one I've ever caught out of there, but I've seen many caught, and even more on camera out of there. Most of the haliburton trout lakes are loaded with them too. Just set a jighead with salties on bottom at dusk and your pretty much guaranteed to get a couple. I prefer them over lakers on the table.

P3230006-1.jpg

P3230009-1.jpg

S.

Dumb question here. Are these Ling related to the ones you find in the Atlantic Ocean? We used to catch Ling off the coast of Scotland. :dunno: Just curious.

I was wondering the same thing, they look similar in shape, fin pattern etc. never thought they'd be able to survive in fresh water though - found this pic of a small "sea ling" for comparison, the British record for them is 59lb!!!

ling.jpg

Is a Ling the same as a Dog fish? I caught a Dog fish in Simcoe and was told to kill it b/c it was an invasive species.

lol invasive??? haha no the "Dogfish" which is acctually called Bowfin, is not an invasive species... native to ontario... dont kill them for no reason

Can't see the "ling fling" from where I sit at work...but I WILL say that I ate a bowfin last year....DEEEEE-licious!! I was afraid to eat it, but will tell you, I'll keep the next one I catch...the meat was almost like pork. Really!

Can't see the "ling fling" from where I sit at work...but I WILL say that I ate a bowfin last year....DEEEEE-licious!! I was afraid to eat it, but will tell you, I'll keep the next one I catch...the meat was almost like pork. Really!

I had the same qualms about drum before I tried it. But next spring I'll definitely cook up any I catch in the 3 to 4 lb range (never seem to get any smaller than that for some reason). I plan to try smoking them too.

Edited by Jocko