Ling.

fishermccann

I had the same qualms about drum before I tried it. But next spring I'll definitely cook up any I catch in the 3 to 4 lb range (never seem to get any smaller than that for some reason). I plan to try smoking them too.

I have caught a ton of them over the years and come to think of it, I have never caught one under 3 lbs that I can recall. Things that make you go hmm. :D

Edited by Harrison

Can't see the "ling fling" from where I sit at work...but I WILL say that I ate a bowfin last year....DEEEEE-licious!! I was afraid to eat it, but will tell you, I'll keep the next one I catch...the meat was almost like pork. Really!

I could get you pounds of Bowfin man if you like it. I catch them no smaller than 4lbs at the grandma's house...biggest at 6lb 11oz

Let me know,

MTBF

In the Saguenay River near my home in Chicoutimi, I catch lingcod all winter. They are the saltwater variety. They are very dark in colour. Yes, they are related to cod. As related as perch are to walleye.

Most of the lingcod I catch are in the 4 to 7 lb categorie. They are excellent eating. The cheek muscle is huge and is great eating too.

The deep water in the Saguenay River is salt water and during the winter I fish for cod, halibut, lingcod, ocean perch, flounder. In the shallower water, I catch smelt and brook trout.

To catch lingcod, you bait has to be on bottom. I like to use a 2 ounce jig baited with a smelt. I bounce the jig on bottom to attract the lingcod. The hooks further up the line are baited with smelt and I catch cod on those hooks.

I fish up to 500 feet in depth but there are much deeper places in the Saguenay.