OFNC silence November 11th at the 11th hour.

Roy

It wasn't really practical to shut the board down for those two minutes. It would be nice however if our members refrained from posting for 2 minutes at 11AM tomorrow morning, November 11th.

Take the time to remember. I know that not everyone will have seen this but, let's at least try.

It's important.

Good thought guys!!! No matter what I have commented on the war efforts over the last 35 years, our heroes from WWI and WWII are what gave us the freedom we all enjoy today and THAT should never be forgotten!!

Let me add to all servicemen that were willing to sacrifice themselves in honour of our Canadian Flag including my fallen friend Mark Isfeld in Croatia and Troop mates Shane Stashnik and Shawn Eades in Afghanistan whom I knew personally. Youll never know.

Edited by holdfast

I just found out that the little restaurant next door to my office (Joe's Diner) is offering free lunch to the vets. Just to let you know what that could mean, we're right next door to the Legion branch where those who marched to the local Cenotaph convened and where the parade ended after the service.

This is a restaurant that is always full at lunch time so they really are doing something generous. Good for them.

JF

I was outside this morning at 10:30 to rake up the leaves (again) when at 10:45 sharp I heard a loud roar to the east. Unmistakebly the Lancaster! As I averted my eyes skyward I was treated to an oustanding and impressive sight as the Lancaster flew by at a mere few hundred feet directly over my head. Flanking it on the right was the B-25 Mitchell and on it's left a C-130 transport. The roar of these awesome planes sent shivers down my spine. They were quickly followed by another three plane formation from the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum, one of which I recognised as the Harvard. Then promptly followed by a PBY-5A.

For me it was a poignant reminder of how very fortunate we are to have had so many give so much for the rights and freedoms we enjoy today. As I stood in silence 15 minutes later I was truly humbled!

I was outside this morning at 10:30 to rake up the leaves (again) when at 10:45 sharp I heard a loud roar to the east. Unmistakebly the Lancaster! As I averted my eyes skyward I was treated to an oustanding and impressive sight as the Lancaster flew by at a mere few hundred feet directly over my head. Flanking it on the right was the B-25 Mitchell and on it's left a C-130 transport. The roar of these awesome planes sent shivers down my spine. They were quickly followed by another three plane formation from the Canadian Warplane Heritage Museum, one of which I recognised as the Harvard. Then promptly followed by a PBY-5A.

For me it was a poignant reminder of how very fortunate we are to have had so many give so much for the rights and freedoms we enjoy today. As I stood in silence 15 minutes later I was truly humbled!

I saw that as well, awesome sight!

Quite a turn out at Toronto city hall today... seemed to me anyway that there were many more people than in prevoius years.

Here at the office, we were quietly reflecting on the days events. I told my co-workers, who really didn't need to be reminded, that we will do no work, from 11:00am to 11:15am. We talked about our own feelings when suddenly, the phone rings at 11:11am! I picked it up and it was Bell Canada calling trying to sell us some kind of service. Well, the guy on the other end of the phone won't be sitting properly for a while as I tore a chunk out of his :asshat:

I will be taking both of my kids to a local retirement home for a service tonight, honouring the fallen. My son will be in his Beaver uniform, my daughter in her Sparks uniform. They have been asking me about Remembrance Day, what it means and what war is. At ages 6 and 7, I think it's important that they get some level of understanding about the day and the sacrifices people have made for them and me.

Respect.

HH