never underestimate the power of chance!!

brkygetr

This is just a heads up too everyone that it can happen to you. I spent a cold/wet night a long way from anyone or anything.

The only good part about this is that I was fine and luckily because I was prepared with a waterproof emergency kit and gear things turned out ok.

This happened at 7:30 at night on Sunday eve and concludes about 4 in the afternoon on Monday.

I think the pictures tell the story on their own.

deadtruck001.jpg

deadtruck008.jpg

deadtruck010.jpg

deadtruck011.jpg

deadtruck013.jpg

deadtruck014.jpg

deadtruck016-1.jpg

deadtruck017-1.jpg

ouch !!! Hard knocks ......definitely no competition for that parking spot...

this isnt the first time i seen this type of situation though ...happens ALOT in Ipperwash from guys trying to launch off the beach ...

The tide came in? ;)

And I thought I had a bad weekend spending $1000 on my Tahoe only to have the diff blow on Monday... spent another $5000 on another vehicle today.

I hope the damage is minimal and glad you were prepared. Need any full size chevy parts? LOL

-Brian

I'm guessing a standard and you counted on the parking brake because the tail pipe was under water to launch and when you got out it didn't hold. Either that or it just popped out of gear when you were getting the boat undone.

Bummer

that is the craziest thing i've seen.... I'm glad to hear you are alright... you can replace a truck but your life is a different story... on the bright side you'll always have this as a crazy story to tell your friends..

well, you all pretty much got it...standard truck and popped out of gear while I was unhooking the boat...i was in the truck within seconds but the water was allready over my knees..exhaust under water by that point and no way it was gonna fire...not that it would have done any good cause at that point the ass of the truck was floating due to air under the box liner and the boat was pulling it out due to momentum...I jumped from the truck as the water was coming over the steering wheel, to the box and then onto the bow of the boat.....by the time I was standing on the floor of the boat I was looking down at the tip of my radio whip about 2 ft below the water and lots of nice bubbles :wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: ...

And this is where it gets really NASTY...

My safety chain was still conected the the bow of the boat which just so happens to have a lock on it...guess where the freakin key was!!!!

I could therefore not unhook the boat from the trailer. It floated for a while but eventually the weight of the truck pulled it down.

By the way its hard to tell but I did swim out to the truck in the morning and when I stood on the roof of the truck my head was about 1 ft below the water...which is actually lucky as this particular lake is about 80 ft of water no more than twice the distance my truck was to shore.

I tell ya its a damn good thing I live in Northwestern Ontario cause I doubt many outfits from back home would have shown up with a towtruck a pair of shorts and swimming goggles to get er' out...just like its any other day!!!!

By the way the water was only 52 degrees...