never underestimate the power of chance!!

brkygetr

Just read through this post that would've been scary as hell! Glad you made it out ok. I find this works really well to avoid burning rubber at the launch & panic'ing from rolling back:

Always use the e-brake, especially with manual transmission. When I'm bringing it up from the ramp I always put it in gear while the ebrake is on, gas it a bit to have pressure on the ebrake and then release ebrake and go slow up the launch, avoids rollback gunning it and spinning.

Edited by scugog

My buddy is truck driver and he always chalks the wheel before launching the boat, I always thought this was going overboard but after seeing this I think now he is a pretty smart dude.He says it's just a habit for him to do this and I think it's a good habit to get into! You just never no, and if something lets go and your behind the tow vehicle a much worse outcome may happen. Chalking your tires is mandatory at shipping docks perhaps it should be on ramps aswell

I've launched many times from "unimproved" ramps over the course of my fishing life, some of them pretty hairy.

You probably know this, but you should be using your parking brake every few weeks, even if you don't need it. As far as I know the most common failure for that brake is because it rusts up and seizes because of lack of use.

Chocking a wheel is a ten-second job that can save you a lot of grief. You don't really have to chock both; one is good enough.

Loose gravel is as bad as sand. It's like your wheels are trying to get a grip on marbles. We used to carry a come-along, a steel post (old mining drill bit) and an axe for emergencies. If there was no tree to tie to, we'd hammer in the post, attach the come-along and use it to assist the truck out of difficulty. Had to do that once or twice. It's a slow process but at least you're not stuck in the middle of nowhere with no options.

Heck, a truck box is made to fill with junk --- some of it might as well be remotely useful. :D