Have to give up the boat

bigugli

:angry: Sometimes life can really suck as our bodies age. As I am progressively losing my balance, stability and mobility. I am being forced to accept some hard truths lately. 3 years back, I had to give up hiking and skating. 2 years ago I gave up my waders and golf clubs. Now I'm not steady enough on my feet, nor alert enough to, to use my boat. All I've got to look forward to, next, are the wheelchair and depends.

Sorry for the rant. If interested I'll give a member of the community a better shake than most.

I'm sorry to hear this. Like mentioned, you can still get out fishing. If you are ever down this way my boat is plenty stable for you to sit and fish. I would be more than happy to take you out.

i also feel your pain. I had to give up whitewater kayaking because of my shoulder. You are making the right decision.

:angry: Sometimes life can really suck as our bodies age. As I am progressively losing my balance, stability and mobility. I am being forced to accept some hard truths lately. 3 years back, I had to give up hiking and skating. 2 years ago I gave up my waders and golf clubs. Now I'm not steady enough on my feet, nor alert enough to, to use my boat. All I've got to look forward to, next, are the wheelchair and depends.

Sorry for the rant. If interested I'll give a member of the community a better shake than most.

Sorry to hear about that.

Being in a wheelchair would not be cool but I can't wait to get into depends. Think about how much down-time you can save while fishing.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I'm still going fishing from shore on good days, and still stumbling or falling. It just isn't really safe for me to be running a boat on my own or trying to manhandle the heavier boat at the ramp.

I've been stuck in the 'chair', and carried a stick before and after another repair, but the repairs are temporary. The last fix lasted 15 years, but I still farmed, timbered and built houses. Still had to pay bills so I accepted the risks of ignoring my handicap. Banks don't give out mortgages to handicapped people, it's hard to get insurance, and few will give you a job. So, yeah, it's self inflicted.

Thanks for the encouragement guys. I'm still going fishing from shore on good days, and still stumbling or falling. It just isn't really safe for me to be running a boat on my own or trying to manhandle the heavier boat at the ramp.

I've been stuck in the 'chair', and carried a stick before and after another repair, but the repairs are temporary. The last fix lasted 15 years, but I still farmed, timbered and built houses. Still had to pay bills so I accepted the risks of ignoring my handicap. Banks don't give out mortgages to handicapped people, it's hard to get insurance, and few will give you a job. So, yeah, it's self inflicted.

Well if you are ever in the Long Point Area and want to hit the lake with no worries except for what bait to use give me a shout.

Same goes for me. If you’re in Simcoe county and want to cast a line, PM me. Always enough room in my boat for an experienced fisherman.

I'll pick your brain though ;) !!

Edited by F to the Is-H

Hell man,you can cook.Open a resturant.LOL

Just trying to make ya smile there BIG.

Pops going for hip replacement in Dec. I dont like watching him these days.It,s a carp for him to walk right now,and boat rides that are a bit rough are well,tough to handle.

If ya want to do a cruise and a fish up here yer welcome anytime.

No cost to share anything here. Free of charge anytime. My Dad's in the same boat. He has the same problems. We just go to lakes that we dont have to many big waves. Works out great. Even do a shore lunch. I dont get to see him much as he lives far away but its a treat when I do.

Bruce as long as you have the desire to fish, you know I'll do my best to make sure we get out. I still live close enough to even pick you up if need be my friend, so don't you worry about that. It's just like a few people recently told me: Friends take care of one another so you have no worries :)

sorry to hear that...it's really a shame but life goes on and you will have to carry on...as long as you can walk and move there's still hope...hang in there , man...be strong, don't give up...God bless you!!!

I think we have all thought about the day we may have to give up fishing or some other passion in our lives. This past weekend I was fishing with a life long friend of mine who has come down with some serve pains in his hand and elbow. He was talking about having to give up the sport as well. Never seen him put down the rod to sit and rest for a while in our 30+ years of fishing together. I told him to get to a doctor and see what the hell was going on first. He is a subborn one.

As he is welcome in my boat anytime you are as well Bigugli. ;) As others here have offered, you should be set for many fishing trips. :Gonefishing: Lots of good (great) karma around this place. Be well Bigugli, you've got a lot of people around here that willing to lend a hand if needed.