Towing over capacity, Real World Experience Wanted

Ziki

Towing overweight is no fun!! You literally cannot stop your vehicle in a panic situation!! Look into renting a slip somewhere if you don't want to upgrade your tow vehicle, it will probably be cheaper that way.

There are those who say go for it but I'll tell ya, I towed my boat which with the trailer weighs about 32-3300 lbs with my minivan which has a tow capacity of 3500lbs and it was not fun. The thing did not want to stop. When the boat comes out in the fall, I'll borrow my brother's big Yukon to tow it.

Towing capacity is a maximum weight the vehicle can pull with a 150lb driver and absolutely nothing else. Having done some towing this year, I've come to respect the 2/3 rule, don't tow something that weighs more than 2/3 of your maximum tow capacity.

I hate to be a killjoy but I've got to share the road with everyone else in a safe manner.

Not to forget that the boat/trailer would outweigh the tow vehicle, not a good idea. Any brakes on the trailer?

oh really? then how can a transport tow 100,000lbs the load weights WAY more than the tow vehicle?

dodge diesel can tow 16000lbs? isnt that way more than the vehicle?

Guess some here missed the part about real world experience and went on to reply with unrealistic catastrophic scenarios.

Thank you miller photo as your expertise was exactly what I was looking for.

Its not worth risking my vehicle, or the safety of others.

Thanks!

Ziki, we are only trying to point out possible reasons for not doing it, which has all been good advice as far as I can see. Something about doing it you may not have thought of.

As for real world experience and unrealistic catastrophic scenarios, I am speaking about those. I work in insurance and for example, just did a report on a dentist who lost some fingers while changing a tire. Talk about a life changing event!!! poop happens and we are only trying to guide you in the right direction. Don't take it the wrong way bud.

Joey

Your best bet would be to moor it at a marina - cheaper than buying another vehicle.

Not to beat a dead horse, but...

Too many people are fixated with having enough power to get up to speed or traction for pulling a boat up a launch ramp. Passenger cars, truck and vans are designed with 75-90% of their braking power on the front axle under normal conditions. When you add tongue weight to your vehicle, it drastically reduces braking efficiency and steering control.

Add a morning dew or a gravel road to the mix and you're asking for big problems.

You can lighten your tongue weight by shifting axles or shifting the boat but you're still faced with the tow vehicle stopping the load. Asking a 2000lb car to stop a 5000lb boat in the best of conditions is a lot to ask.

The answer, trailer brakes? (addressing those suggesting trailer brakes will solve your problems)

Why not have your trailer do most of the braking for you?

When you apply the brakes on the trailer, the tongue dives and will lift your tow vehicle's front axle, thus no braking and poor steering.

oh really? then how can a transport tow 100,000lbs the load weights WAY more than the tow vehicle?

dodge diesel can tow 16000lbs? isnt that way more than the vehicle?

...big air-brakes on those transport trailers.

...hard to compare a Highlander to a Cummins deisel 3500 (and again any trailer 16,000lbs has some brakes).

A highway tractor trailer is designed to work as an assembly; with braking being shared between the tractor and the trailer. Most of which also use some form of anti lock braking system, on both the tractor and trailer.

As for the Dodge trucks that are rated for the 16000; you’re right they can pull all that weight and likely more. But as soon as the combined weight of the tow vehicle and loaded trailer exceeds 10500Lbs (4800Klg); the trailer is required to have some form of functioning brakes (electric or surge); plus both the tow vehicle and trailer must go through a yearly safety inspection.

All we’re talking about is you, me or anyone trying to pull a weekend boat trailer, with an undersized tow vehicle; there’s no comparison.

As for this Highlander being able to pull this boat? I bet it could and probably not do a bad job of it, with the proper weight distribution hitch. But now let’s see if it can stop or make an emergency maneuver with 5000Lbs pushing it and not loose control. That’s the legal aspect that I mentioned in my last post.

Even if this trailer in question has surge brakes; the brake actuator should also be matched to the tow vehicle. That’s so the trailer brakes start applying, before the trailer starts pushing the tow vehicle.

There are so many reasons not to do this and I really do understand why Ziki would want to try; it is only 5 Klm; but that’s where most accidents happen; close to home.

Dan.

Forget the idea that your boat out weighs your tow vehicle. SO WHAT......My Tundra weighs 5300 lbs and I can tow up to 10,800 lbs as listed by Toyota.....that's more than TWICE the weight of my tow vehicle. And if you can get yourself a truck to tow it for only a couple of hundred bucks that's road worthy send some down here.

Again, for the VERY SHORT distance I wouldn't worry about it but if you want you can always add brakes to the boat trailer if it's not already equipped.

I once towed a 20' Ranger Bass Boat with a 200 hp Merc 4 stroke... with a Moped!!!... to and from the lake... UPHILL both ways!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by GCD

And who can forget. Here officer, hold my beer and I'll get the registration days.

Towed a 18ft V-king and a 200 black max, With a 74 Charge. There wasn't a launch I couldn't get stuck at.

BUT MAN, That package was sick!!!!

yes but insurance on another truck?

When I was 24 I owned a 1980 GMC 1 Ton with 35" Tires and 8" lift, and a Corvette LT1 Motor... I had basic coverage on my truck which I would pay $56 a month... small amount

compared to a large fine, or worse injuries... If the truck is only worth a grand or so.. why bother with theft or fire or collsion.. more then likly if someone hits you.. in a old gmc, theres going to be more damage to their new vehicle compared to a old chev.. New fenders.. $60.... new doors $250... new bumpers.. $150.. cheap to repair.. compared to a newer vehicle..

But glad to hear your going to not haul it with your Highlander..

One guy wasn't so lucky when he wouldn't listen to me.... Explained how to load his popup trailer.. Did he listen... no..

He was heading camping for the weekend down in NY.. We installed the hitch on a wednesday.. thursday afternoon he was leaving... He loaded his trailer his way.. Didn't make it

even 5km, and the hitch ripped through the frame.. He was only down the road so he just drove that way to our business and came in screaming and yelling.. me and my manager and him went out and looked, sure enough ripped the chasis to shreds... went to try and remove the trailer from the hitch... couldn't lift it.. i was like what the hell.. long story short.. he thought he would have more traction if he loaded everything in the front of the trailer.. he had aprox 600lbs on the tounge..... for a hitch that was rated for 300 on the tounge...

In the end.. he appoligized for the way he reacted.. and if my memory serves me right.. the body shop charged him a little over $1800 to repair the frame...

Thats only one of many...

Just happy to hear your not going to be one of them..

nip_08_013_small.JPG

Comming back from Nippissing to MI we needed to load up this pontoon. Everything was fine until we got lost in Sudbury. I don't know where we were at but it was like trying to make a left hand turn on a bowling ball. The pontoon ended up on it's side and we needed help to get out.

Im looking at a Pontoon boat towards the fall or next spring.. Even thou my Grand Am hitch is rated above what it will be towing.. I just don't want to risk it..

And no its not a matter of being uncomfortable.. cause I have hauled anything from 4'x4' trailers up to 36' travel trailers with various vehicles, and have

over 1.5Million Km driving experience.. and only 29 yrs old.. But its just the saftey aspect of being in a collision..

if you are an ok driver and know enough to stay back from other cars

you will be fine..I did it for years and some how got away with it

the real problem was stopping...and I was pushed pass the road I wanted to turn onto more then a few times and had to go to the side of the road because someone pulled in front of me and stopped before I had time to adjust to how close the car was....

also there will be a top speed where the trailer will start to control the truck rather then the truck controlling the trailer, stay under that speed and pray....and enjoy fishing

Not that I support people towing with improper tow vehicles, but I spoke to a MTO officer yesterday and he said there is no rules saying you have to tow with a proper tow vehicle. He said he will pull somebody over if they are slowing traffic, their hitch is almost hitting the ground, chains dragging, or if their trailer appears unsafe.