CTC rant (NF)

bigfish1965

I came out to the employee parking lot to find a flat in my rear left tire. Not surprising..original tires on a 2001 vehicle. I work in Niagara Falls and after changing the tire tot he spare, noticed the main sign in front of the CTC saying "Open Victoria Day 10-6"..awesome since I work till 8 and getting it done that night was not possible. Dorve by the CTC by my place in St Catharines and their sign said Outdoor Center Only Open Monday.

I rearranged a few things at work to be at the store right at 10 am. Got there right on time and went to look at some tires and then saw a sign... Auto Service Closed..Sorry for the Inconvenience.!!

I asked the guy in parts and he said no one was around to do tires. Can't buy tires at CANADIAN TIRE!! Everything else was available except service.

There was room on the sign to say 'Open Victoria Day 10-6..Auto Service Closed'. Then at least I could have looked around elsewhere..now stuck another day driving on the donut (which BTW, when they say don't go over 80 KM/H..they really mean it..like trying to drive a sleigh).

Oh, CTC, how I loved thee...but now it is time to part ways. My two new tires will have to come from somewhere else...as will my fishing purchases, tools, paint, flashlights (I wreck alot of flashlights) and the rest of the few thousand I likely spend in there a year.

If you cannot figure out that mentioning your auto service being unavailable might be important to people, it leaves me with no confidence in the rest of your policies.

Too bad..you have some great people working there.

yup a simple, Auto Service Closed

would be nice,

for those who don't get it

imagine Disney world advertising 'OPEN during march break" so you drive your kids to florida only to find the park is indeed open

but all the rides are shut down....

same thing, but without the screaming kids

imagine Disney world advertising 'OPEN during march break" so you drive your kids to florida only to find the park is indeed open

but all the rides are shut down....

It does happen...not all the rides shut down but they do rotate around the park and shut rides down for complete rebuilding. Have seen it several times. Remember telling my son about the one of the rides and when we got there that one was completely boarded up with a sign on the fence.

Don't get your tail in a knot Rick, it's only a tire. I'm sure if you were given the opportunity to have had the holiday off you would have jumped at the chance too, just like I did. Now I'm sitting at home with a puke bucket under my chin waiting for the next eruption! :( Probably it's because of this I don't sympathize.

Besides, you'll prob find a better deal after all.

i dont deal with canadian tire as im south of the border.........but honestly, i usually think of the auto and service sections of these big box stores as seperate entities and would have called to make sure they were open with the rest of the retail operation. Like someone said, garden departments as well i think of the same way...........they are almost seperate divisions of the store.

AAAhh Welcome to the club (Meetings every 3rd Tuesday)

My distain for Canadian Tire auto service dates back to the 70's where as a younger man with little dough I ponied up the cash on numerous occasions to have their service dept fix my car-----long story short----left on the side of the hwy too many times and the kicker was it was rectified by the same part I paid Canadian Tire for with a part out of a scrap yard.

There endeth the lesson

Now I USE them as an emergency Senko/ gamakatsu supplier when everyone else is not available-----no auto parts---no lawnmowers---not even a 2 1/2 inch nail.

I know my little stance is the David & Goliath thing but it's my cash and they can't have it----I sleep better if nothing else.

Bushart

Sorry I think Canadian Tire is a great store and should be recognized as so. Sure they seem to run out of things the first Day of a sale or the truck flew into a mountain with the Items in the Rockies, but as someone suggested, the Maintenance is a separate entity. Blame it on the Union, not the Store its self.I would think a written complaint is in order so they spend a few dollars more to advertise whats NOT Open next time. Bet you went back and bought the tires that were on sale.

I happen to like CTC. They have a decent selection of things and have some good sales.

I won't use their auto service though, mainly because I'm cheap and do my own work.

Labour rates in Yellowknife are off the chart!!!! The hourly rate at Canadian Tire is $120!!!!!! :w00t:

Much cheaper to do things your self, if you have the ability. :whistling:

When I need tires there is a local tire shop that is fair and family owned that gets my business. :thumbsup_anim:

They're just in compliance with the law. Many Shoppers Drug Mart locations had sections of the stores closed off due to compliance. Two I went to had the entrance closed because they led into the cosmetics department (closed) to get to the main section of the store. You had to enter via the exit. I had to go to three stores to get cheese on sale. I'm not going to do the math on how much I 'saved'.

I thinkk Rick's beef here is legit. It's not the fact that the auto service dept was closed for the stat. It was the fact that they made the effort to post a sign that the store was open but conveniently left out the fact that auto service (tires) was not available.

That was my point exactly Huey. I am not belaboring anyone's vacation..just let me know what the score is.

I bet if you went into Bass Pro Shop and they had a section closed for the holiday..the one section you were there for, you would not be happy if they did not make this known ahead of time.

If Canadian TIRE is not selling TIRES that day, I would find that worthy of pointing out to people.

I found a local shop down the road and got some nice new Michelins at a really great price today :)

The factory messed up the paint job on the whitewalls, so I got a lovely discount....I mount them whitewalls in anyway.

That was my point exactly Huey. I am not belaboring anyone's vacation..just let me know what the score is.

I bet if you went into Bass Pro Shop and they had a section closed for the holiday..the one section you were there for, you would not be happy if they did not make this known ahead of time.

If Canadian TIRE is not selling TIRES that day, I would find that worthy of pointing out to people.

I found a local shop down the road and got some nice new Michelins at a really great price today :)

The factory messed up the paint job on the whitewalls, so I got a lovely discount....I mount them whitewalls in anyway.

So let me see if I have this straight:

You got a flat, the spare worked as designed, the store was closed the minute you needed it, but you had to actually go to the store to find that out because they did not post it on a billboard. Is that the reason you made this post and swore off of Canadian Tire?

Did they cause the flat? Was there a reason you couldn't go another day on the spare? Did you really move heaven and earth to get there on Victoria Day?

What do you do when the ATM is temporarily off line, sell all of your investments and stuff your money in a mattress?

I would be lost without CT, I go there way more than I would care to admit. I buy their tires because they fix punctures for free at any Canadian tire store, anywhere, including towns that I vacation in; To me a wonderful convenience.

I hope that they will still sell tires after this dust settles.

Jim

So let me see if I have this straight:

You got a flat, the spare worked as designed, the store was closed the minute you needed it, but you had to actually go to the store to find that out because they did not post it on a billboard. Is that the reason you made this post and swore off of Canadian Tire?

Did they cause the flat? Was there a reason you couldn't go another day on the spare? Did you really move heaven and earth to get there on Victoria Day?

What do you do when the ATM is temporarily off line, sell all of your investments and stuff your money in a mattress?

I would be lost without CT, I go there way more than I would care to admit. I buy their tires because they fix punctures for free at any Canadian tire store, anywhere, including towns that I vacation in; To me a wonderful convenience.

I hope that they will still sell tires after this dust settles.

Jim

Geez..read the post. I live 30 KM away from the store but it is on my route to work. I rearranged my day to get the tire done. I had an early morning appt Tuesday which required travelling on the hiway. U can't do that on a donut spare.

Had the sign been accurate, I would have made different arrangements and not had to have had to make alternate travel arrangements for Tuesday morning. I worked Monday so only had the one shot to get it done. All I am upset about is that they did not mention that their core component...the reason they ever existed..was not part of what was open. An oversight like that to me is either intentional or stupid.

Dorve by the CTC by my place in St Catharines and their sign said Outdoor Center Only Open Monday.

That line says it all, my som runs the counter for the service center at a CTC store and before he started there they were open on weekends and maybe some holiday's but they stopped Sunday's and holiday's because they lost money, not enough tires go flat to justify being open.

Richard

PS: Great warranty on TIRES

You are not going to win,people seem to pick a few words from a post and put together their own interpretation of what you wanted to say

it is funny how many people think you are mad at CTC because you got a flat tire

while others seem to think you are mad because they had the nerve to close their service dept. for a holiday monday .

they seem to totally miss that it was the fact that they had a sign that stated they were open, so you drove there only to find out the service dept was closed, which one would think they would also put on their notice to properly inform the public

and that it is ironic that at Canadian tire he could buy everything they sell except tires

oh and he wasn't mad

he was upset

i dunno, i understand the gripe here, nothing worse than arriving somewhere to find it locked up, thinkin your on your way to take care of something and get shot down. Oh.............its aggrivating. lol i just think ousting them is a bit harsh. I say the same thing all the time about gander mountain, when i drive all the way there and the shelves are bare, i say every time............thats it, im never coming here again, ...............lol only to find myself back in a couple weeks shopping for something else. Id say, lesson learned, just call next time before drivin out to make sure theyll be there for you. Chances are the guy doing the sign didnt feel like being wordy enough to break down what sections were and werent open. Or he ran out of letters...........lol. I know i used to use that suction cup thingy to change the sign at a restaurant i used to work for, it wasnt fun :)