Bay of Quinte Walleye Opener

After waiting all winter for this day to come it was time to participate in the Kiwanis Walleye Fishing Derby.

First off I would like to thank the many volunteers and folks who give their time to make this a fabulous tournament not to mention

the great cause raising money for charity.

I arrived late Friday night to meet up with good friends Kenny,Dan and Dave.

This year was different though because I decided to bring my boat.

Fishing was tough Saturday alot of folks reporting very little walleye action.

At 3pm we decided it was just too rough to be out fishing.

It was a long boat ride back from the Napannee River along Long Reach past Green Point to Bayside Cottages.It was so rough I decided to put along at 8mph this way we kept ourselves dry.

When in took a break had a great supper and went out for the evening bite.

Headed down to the Narrows and started trolling at the light house in a 11 ft of water and finally got my first eye of the day.

Caught with a purple suspending X-Rap.

I have never seen boat traffic like this ever.Navigation was like doing the slalom.

We stayed out late and I found the ride back rather creepy in the dark trying to look for the many unlit bouys(help spell check?)

Anyhoo here are the pics.

IMG_0384_1.jpg

If fishing is slow why not have a nap .lots of room in a tiller boat for that GCD :P

IMG_0387_1.jpg

A shot of the Napanee river as you can see it was rough in there.

IMG_0390_1.jpg

My first eye Saturday evening a 28 inch Walleye I didn't weigh her but I figure around 5 or 6lbs.

I let her go to swim another day.

IMG_0391_1.jpg

IMG_0392_1.jpg

My fishing partner net minder and camera man.poor Kenny just got some nice OOS bass.

IMG_0393_1.jpg

Met up with this guy our very own Sonny from OFC fishing with his buddy.

IMG_0394_1.jpg

Good to see ya again Sonny too bad we had no time to meet up somewhere but fishing is our priority.

IMG_0399_1.jpg

IMG_0400_1.jpg

IMG_0404_1.jpg

Finally Sunday 1:30pm my rod goes off with a big bang the reel was just screaming.

My heart was pumping what a scrap .I have never had a long fight like this from a walleye.

Kenny and I thought it has to be a big Pike of sheepy she just would not quit line peeling action.

Got her to the boat she would not quit,under the boat my medium heavy rod bent over and more drag going out.

finally get it into the net and the Long Pink Rapala Huskey Jerk falls out of its mouth.

Have a quick look at this big fish and I think wow I could have a chance to qualify in the top 10.

I quickly weighed her 9lbs 12oz just under ten not even close to tenth place which was over 11lbs.

There is always next year.This Walley did get the heart a pumping.

Best ever fight from a walleye from one side of the boat to the other would not give up.

IMG_0408_1.jpg

IMG_0411_1.jpg

Results of the Kiwanis Fishing Derby.

IMG_0413_1-1.jpg

Junior category where I would have qualified if I was under 17yrs old.

IMG_0414_1-1.jpg

some prizes from the tournament.

IMG_0415_1-1.jpg

First Prize for Pike a 14ft Lund with 15hp motor.

IMG_0416_1-1.jpg

first prize walleye a 16ft Lund Rebel XL with 25hp.

IMG_0418_1-1.jpg

On the way back from Trenton I snapped this shot of I believe is Canadas Hercules Aircraft.

Can't wait until next year.

Mike the Pike

Edited by Mike the Pike

The plane is actually a C-17 globemaster. The Herc has 4 propellers. It's pretty much impossible to tell ya if it's a Canadian one from that range. There is occasionally globemasters from other countries going into Trenton, though it's mostly Canadian ones.

The plane is actually a C-17 globemaster. The Herc has 4 propellers. It's pretty much impossible to tell ya if it's a Canadian one from that range. There is occasionally globemasters from other countries going into Trenton, though it's mostly Canadian ones.

Yes that is one of our new globemasters

BE PROUD PEOPLE

Great catch Mike, if you notice the 3rd place for pike that was Lindsey from our party, he was bumped at the last minute to forth, we had the van already for that 8 h.p Honda LOL! Shermans point was hot saturday nite, we boated 20 plus fish, all in the 2-3 pound range!

Edited by walleyemen

Something is wrong with this report....

I can't put my finger on it....

It's right there....

Oh wait...I know! You are holding the target fish in your hand!!! LOL. Great report Mike...that 9 pounder and change is a nice eye in anyones books!

Great pics...looks like a great time was had by all.

Great report and pics Mike!!! :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

... and a couple beautiful fish too!!! :clapping:

Too bad you can't catch fish like that in Quebec and have to travel all the way to Ontario eh?

As far as sleeping in the boat... it sounds kinda wimpy to me :rolleyes: . I sleep at home in my bed!

... and I still wouldn't want to steer my truck from the rear bumper!!! :w00t:

Yes that is one of our new globemasters

But Peter did you happen to notice the fish in the report.

BE PROUD PEOPLE

But Peter did you happen to notice the fish in the report.

Nice going. I couldn't believe the amount of boats going Eastbound on the 401 Saturday morning. I can only imagine how busy it would've been there.

You should have seen the amount of boats in the narrows Saturday .What bothers me is the ones that cut in front of you these are the guys who don't get out much many others have a good sense of judgement some are just complete morons .I did let one guy know he was an idiot passing just 10 feet in front of my bow.

Nice fish,we fished Muscott bay (spelling) all weekend only ended up with a few bass and a couple of pike.

NO pike this year but my partner caught a couple of OOS Bass.

Great report mike,,,good to meet up with ya but next year we'll have to plan a dinner or something,,,glad you got a biggun,,,just remember that spot for next year!!

Ya I think I will take friday off next year as I find the 4hr drive from montreal rather long at the end of the day with the start of rush hour early on Friday's .So what will be 4 dinner .

Some very nice eyes there. Some people fish their whole lives and never catch an eye that big.You should be proud of your catch. Quinte always produces a great reports..........Old faithfull. Thanks.

if ya fish quinte enough in the fall or spring finding a double digit will come sooner than you think.

Great catch Mike, if you notice the 3rd place for pike that was Lindsey from our party, he was bumped at the last minute to forth, we had the van already for that 8 h.p Honda LOL! Shermans point was hot saturday nite, we boated 20 plus fish, all in the 2-3 pound range!

So what was 4th place I forget.

Something is wrong with this report....

I can't put my finger on it....

It's right there....

Oh wait...I know! You are holding the target fish in your hand!!! LOL. Great report Mike...that 9 pounder and change is a nice eye in anyones books!

Great pics...looks like a great time was had by all.

The start of this year is much better than last year.

Nice looking eyes Mike! I kinda miss the yellow float suit though :) Congrats again :clapping:

Did you notice I now have a yellow hat to match the floater suit. lol

good report .. i was out on the weekend also but our group got decent numbers .. about 40 for the weekend..2 boats but size was way down from last year... we got 6 over 4lbs all the rest were smaller

You guys did well we managed about 10 in our group of 4.

Great report and pics Mike!!! :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing:

... and a couple beautiful fish too!!! :clapping:

Too bad you can't catch fish like that in Quebec and have to travel all the way to Ontario eh?

As far as sleeping in the boat... it sounds kinda wimpy to me :rolleyes: . I sleep at home in my bed!

... and I still wouldn't want to steer my truck from the rear bumper!!! :w00t:

I can get them like that up North Glen but it requires a longer drive and your chances are fewer.Now I know Lac St-Pierre on the St-Lawrence has the numbers and size but I will have to spend more time there and must learn how to jig properly because trolling on the Larry is tough because it is infested with weeds.

Over the past 5 yrs I have become quite comfortable with the Bay of Quinte I am starting to know it well .No other place increases your odds of big walleye like the bay does.Navagation is easy unlike the Larry where I have already busted up a couple of props.GPS is making life easier so I may be back on the St-Lawrence more often.

When I get my F-150 it will be ordered with the Tiller GCD :P

Well thanks for the kind words and complements folks.

I look forward to Salmon fishing towards the end of May with Percher and my son.

MTP

Edited by Mike the Pike