Specks Hunt - Day two - Different Lake

Leecher

Well guys, today tackle another lake in hopes of catching more specks.... the plan was for Paul and I to go to our favorite lake for them.... Left home at 6:30am, temperature was 10C with a slight south west wind, made a pit stop to timmies for some hot refreshments and the way we go.

Got to destination at around 8:30am and this time around did not have a boat, had to walk around the lake to tackle our hot spots. Man I must be getting old cause my legs a just hurting right now LOL Keep reading you'll understand.

It's totally different scenario fishing this lake from shore with a lot of dead fallen trees on shore, hauling our gear through bush very tiring and makes casting our lures something to think about. So I decided to leave my stuff to the first spot I stop to and continue on.... Not 20 minutes went by and make a good cast out, started my retrieve and guess what.... yes the inevitable happens... I get snag on an underwater tree :wallbash:

Had to break the line and loose a $6.00 dollar Mepps :angry:

Now at this point I'm kind of peeved of loosing my lure, that my tackle box is about 100 meters away and have to walk over to get another..... lets just say that once I got back to my first spot and tied on another Mepps, I wasn't going back.... so I stayed where I was and chose another....

Got busy casting the second Mepps and all of sudden I get another snag.... well at least I thought it was until I see my line move to my right :w00t: I'm like "OK SET THE HOOK!!!" LOL the battle lasted a couple of minutes until I saw this brute surfaced :w00t: and had to basically handle the rod so that it wouldn't run directly into a sunken tree. Once I was able to beach it's head on shore, I reached with my right hand under it's belly and literally threw it on solid ground LOL

Was I ever happy to see this monster out of the water....

Here it is folks, 18" long by 12" girth.... had no scale on hand and don't know what the weight is!!!

All I can say is that is the biggest speckle I ever caught on soft water :w00t:

IMGP1800.jpg

Here's another shot of her

IMGP1801.jpg

This would be the only one we caught all day.... got back home at around 4:00pm.

I just can't believe the size of the fish.... All in all was great to be out and thankful that I had to return to my original spot to retie.

Hope you enjoy

Leechman

P.S. Glen aka GCD, I know in my previous report I said that I would make a video of how I clean specks but this one is too big for that.... she's going to give me a couple of big filets :D

Somebody should send him a banana :P

I was pretty bummed about the creek. The nets are quite long. They are used to keep starlings off the ice grapes. They dig into the flesh rather quickly

What a nice Spec. I'm just green with envy right now.

Thanks guys for your kind comments :thumbsup_anim:

Just finished cleaning the beast and know now why she hit my black furry..... she was running dry..... only had one little minnow in her stomach and nothing else.

This is the biggest so far and the season just begun..... tight lines everyone!!!

Jacques

Congrats again Jacques....had to laugh about the bit where you toss the fish on dry land....lol...i know exactly what your'e talking about.....land the fish at all costs!!!

I think i'm gonna go and die in a corner now....living through other peoples posts is killing me :D

Thanks again guys for your kind replies :thumbsup_anim:

That trout pic is burnt into my brain and will never forget!!!!

Excellent Jaques, yours and mine are bookends, same size. Mine weighed in at 3 3/4 lbs.

IMG_0835.jpg

Thanks tjsa for sharing!!!! They sure are copycats :thumbsup_anim:

Good job!!! Congratulations :clapping: