Petition Against The Gun Registry

This whole thing has become such a farce and there have been so many changes in deadlines and requirements that I no longer care where it stands. I'd like to see it go away but if it's like the last time they considered it, the database of gun owners will still be kept and used as intended.

Sorry to go against the grain but as bad as this program is if it even saves one life (e.g. stolen gun recovered), I believe in a registry.

I know bad guys don't register guns but they do steal them from honest folks who maybe will now take just a little extra care to secure them.

I just wish government would find a better way then wasting the billions they have - that's bad government.

BTW I do enjoy shooting as much as the most of you.

Done,now the rest of you all get r done

Sorry to go against the grain but as bad as this program is if it even saves one life (e.g. stolen gun recovered), I believe in a registry.

Not to be ignorant or rude Ted,but what will that do?

Heres what mean.

Someone is shot, with a shot gun with ,say 00B. You cant tell me they will know what gun was used or who pulled the trigger.Gangs and stolen guns are out there.Why should the law abiding hunters give up thier rights? Yes ,we have nothing to hide,but it,s a CASH COW. IT,S A CROCK

This is all Im going to say, as it IS a very sensitive subject.

In all the news stories concerning a gun related crime, very rarely do you hear in the reporting of it, whether the gun was registered or not. But that brings another question to mind...even if the police recover a rifle used in a crime that they can trace back to its legal owner..which has been stolen from him/her. What real good does that do? The gun got stolen from the owner, was used in the commission of a crime and the weapon was recovered, so now the police can go back to the owner of it and let them know their weapon has been recovered. Wow :wacko:

The trick is to catch the stolen gun before it's used in a crime. A registered (documented) item (gun, etc..) has a greater chance of recovery then an undocumented item.

I am not trying start a debate that can't go anywhere but bad. This is just my humble opinion, and I do respect your counter opinion.

Thx,

Ted

The trick is to catch the stolen gun before it's used in a crime. A registered (documented) item (gun, etc..) has a greater chance of recovery then an undocumented item.

I am not trying start a debate that can't go anywhere but bad. This is just my humble opinion, and I do respect your counter opinion.

Thx,

Ted

Somebody who has a chance to steal a gun will take it whether it's registered or not. A person who stores guns properly or not has nothing to do with the gun being identifiable in a database.

A piece of paper telling you who owns it has nothing to do with finding it any more than knowing who owns a car helps find it after it's stolen. If a gun is stolen and found, it will get back to the owner but it will certainly not influence how quickly it can be found just as knowing a car owner's name will locate a stolen car any quicker.

Well,

Its not saved a life or even "helped" to solve a single documented crime to date since it's inception so...its more or less just been a cash cow, and nuisence to responsible owners and helped to vilify the perception of firearms owners.

The trick is to catch the stolen gun before it's used in a crime

The logic behind such a statement is to simply limit or "tag" Firearms as a whole in hopes it lowers the amount of stolen firem arms...

When in reality a responsible firearms owner would obviously report the theft thus making the registry redundant or a HUGE waste of time.

(stolen legal fire arm = illegal firearm..the fact its registered does nothing to help recover it until after the crime is committed)

Its not fair or productive to make us register our firearms, because a few criminals use them in contradiction of the law.

Why not ban cars?

Cars kill more people then guns...cars are stollen daily.

Yes we register our cars...has that limited the deaths caused by cars?

Nope....

So I'll pose it this way and leave it at that.

If you want to kill some one....you don't NEED a gun to do it.

I mean Zero offence Ted,

I think we're just on the opposite side of a fence here. :)

Edited by Cookslav

13,185 now.

Elmer Fudd's shotgun is not the problem, but that is what the government wanted us to believe. The weapons of choice for the criminal are hand guns and automatic weapons. They are illegal already and no amount of bureaucratic nonsense will eliminate them.

The government needs to put this money into better border enforcement and inspections. That is how we reduce the gun problem.

Wether a gun is registered or not and is stolen really doesn't make much difference. The person in possession of the stolen gun will not have a firearms licence and the gun will be seized and the person charged regardless..Any street rat in possession of a firearm will be dealt with accordingly.

The thing that never gets mentioned is that even though the long gun registry will be gone everybody in possession of long guns will still have to have a firearms licence. The gun owners are registered still which is a good thing in my opinion. The media make out the elimination of the gun registry seem like there will be no checks and balances as to who can have possession of firearms. Those will still be there regardless of the registry.

As far as the police use of the registry, it tells them who has registered firearms. It really doesn't matter how many just that they have access to firearms.

Craig

Oh, 13,362

Edited by caper

13,185 now.

Elmer Fudd's shotgun is not the problem, but that is what the government wanted us to believe. The weapons of choice for the criminal are hand guns and automatic weapons. They are illegal already and no amount of bureaucratic nonsense will eliminate them.

The government needs to put this money into better border enforcement and inspections. That is how we reduce the gun problem.

that's always been part of my argument also. thugs who carry illegal guns on the streets don't want our 40" hunting rifles that weigh 15 pounds. Even a sawn-off rifle/shotgun would be 3-4 times the size of a typical pistol or revolver. And in my lifetime, handguns have always been "restricted" firearms, harder to get, and have never been allow in hunting. Handguns are only legal for shooting at a ranges here which means most hunters and rural residents have absolutely no interest in them. They might as well start registering owners of air conditioners becasue that will be as effective in reducing gun crimes and illegal guns on the streets. at least it'll lower the price of wheat in Poland.

ever see the photocopy of a registration certificate for a B&D soldering gun? hilarious. I think the application was a joke, but a registration certificate was actually issued.

Another fine example of propaganda making it on to OFC, and OFC allowing to exist because the moderation team is too biased to realize this. What are moderators doing posting on a thread like this?

Fact - the majority of police officers think the registry helps them in their job, especially when they can check right in their cruisers if the parties in a domestic dispute own guns.

http://sify.com/news/international/fullstory.php?id=14878802

For instance there is a good probability that the three policemen killed recently in the US would be alive today if the US had a gun registry. They would have known that the eventual killer of the three policemen owned several guns and would have been much more cautious before attempting to enter that house. The gun registry also benefits society in keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill.

Edited by scuro2

As far as the police use of the registry, it tells them who has registered firearms. It really doesn't matter how many just that they have access to firearms.

The way i heard it was it also tells them who owns what and if a crime is committed with a particular caliber rifle, they could check up on people who owned one. I don't know how long this version of the regulation lasted. .

Another fine example of propaganda making it on to OFC, and OFC allowing to exist because the moderation team is too biased to realize this. What are moderators doing posting on a thread like this?

Fact - the majority of police officers think the registry helps them in their job, especially when they can check right in their cruisers if the parties in a domestic dispute own guns.

http://sify.com/news/international/fullstory.php?id=14878802

For instance there is a good probability that the three policemen killed recently in the US would be alive today if the US had a gun registry. They would have known that the eventual killer of the three policemen owned several guns and would have been much more cautious before attempting to enter that house. The gun registry also benefits society in keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill.

1- they should always be ready for a situation with guns because there could be illegal guns anywhere. Illegal guns can be in any house just as marijuana can be in any house, not just in the residences of people with legal prescriptions for marijuana

2- mentally ill people would not pass the checks made during the Possession OR Acquisition applications. They could only get the guns illegally, in which case, having them registry is moot.

ya, and iam going to start a petition to take the gst away like they said they would.....

like that'll ever happen ^_^ they said after brian malrony leaves we will abolish the gst.....no petition?

iam also thinking of starting a petition for metallica to take back jason newstead the bass player...

The gun registry also benefits society in keeping guns out of the hands of the mentally ill.

These are the facts that get distorted by the media. They are not getting rid of firearm licences for individuals. Anybody who owns or has in their possession a firearm still will have to have a firearm licence. It's just the registering of each gun that they are trying to get rid of.

The police will still know that the occupant of a house has a firearm licence and possible has access to firearms.

Also people who have mental health issues should be picked off in the renewal process for their firearm licence.