Licences, insurances Etc for a 16' boat

Lunker777

Hey everyone, I was just looking for a quick answer.

What is all needed LEGALLY for a 16' steel hull with a 20 HP tiller. and trailer to get it 100% ready for the water??

Also what would I need as far as insurance or paper work for the boat ?

Would I need to get a boating license for a boat like this ?

I have never owned a boat before, so I just want to know what I'm getting into with this venture.

Thanks

Tyler

Are you thinking about buying it, or you already have it?

You just need to transfer the plate for the trailer into your name, and register it at any sevice canada kiosk. As of now, there is no mandatory insurance required. You'll also need the boaters card.

Sinker

Hey everyone, I was just looking for a quick answer.

What is all needed LEGALLY for a 16' steel hull with a 20 HP tiller. and trailer to get it 100% ready for the water??

Also what would I need as far as insurance or paper work for the boat ?

Would I need to get a boating license for a boat like this ?

I have never owned a boat before, so I just want to know what I'm getting into with this venture.

Thanks

Tyler

Everything that sinker said, along with the appropriate safety gear. Any marine store will have what you need. One PFD per passenger, and a HEALTHY respect for the water

Happy boating!

Edited by hometownhandyman

seen a booth at the sportsmen show who said they will guarantee a pass on a boating license when you pay...I should have gotten 1 ..I think they should make them seasonal like a fishing license and a short quizz make more money that way. sorry to piggy back your thread but I was wondering " do you need a license to rent a boat>?"

Insurance is not mandatory, but would be a wise choice. For under $25 a month I get good coverage. Sheared my prop shaft one year. No problem, covered, no question,

If you ever try fishing some tournaments you will find that insurance is mandatory.

Yes it is a hijack, but a quizz dockside will allow you to rent a boat...go figure!

I few times when I didn't tow my boat up to Ontario for a fly-in or even twice when I rented a houseboat I was never given any kind of quiz of any kind.

Everyone will need the Boat Operators License this Sept. 15/09. So you should get it as soon as you can.

If you were born after April 1 1983 then you need it now

You must have it with you when operating the boat.

Pick up a up to date "Safe Boating Guide" it is free and many place's have them.. Canadian tire, some gas station, MNR. there is a lot of info in it and will tell you what you need and will help you get ready for the test.

You will need the required safety equipment (the safe boating guide will tell what you need)

You will need to register your boat, the motor is over 9.9hp

You need to have in the boat the Pleasure Craft License. When you register your boat, ask them to give you an official copy one for you records and one to keep in the boat.

Call you local OPP or MNR office and ask them what you need for insurance, they will be the one's give you the fine for what you don't have.

Call you Insurance to see if you can put it under you home insurance as a rider. Most companies allow up to a certain dollar value of the boat and up to a certain horsepower. Then you will have peace of mind that if something happens you will be covered.

There may be other things that you need that I didn't think of.

Hope this helps

sunchaser81

Other than the licenses/registration, as sunchaser81 said you also need some safety/emergency kit on board, there are a couple items in there that include: whistle, floating rope, small bail, etc and more that i can't remember, but they do sell them all together in a package in CTC.

Obviously you will need PFDs, also you might need navigation lights if you do plan on going out when it's dark.

That's all i can think of for now...

do you need proof of ownership of the boat (purchase invoice, or some other proof)? or does the registration take care of this?

Anytime I've been stopped & checked by the OPP, were satisfied with a photocopy of the registration papers.

Keep them in a waterproof ziplock bag and taped to the inside a compartment and their always available when required.

"seen a booth at the sportsmen show who said they will guarantee a pass on a boating license when you pay...I should have gotten 1 ..I think they should make them seasonal like a fishing license and a short quizz make more money"

Why wood you want these crooks to make more money?

This is not a license it is proof of competence, as you can't be competent one day and not the next how can competence expire?

$500 really ????

No, can't you feel one leg longer than the other? About $35 for trailer plate plus tax on the sale unless you bamboozle the tax man and tell him you built it. No charge for transfer of boat registration. Safety kit, anchor or oars, $ 0-50, FLOATING 15M(50') with throwing device $10, PFD's for all passengers $$$$. Probably around $100. Boat licence, don't know if there's any cost involved.

I'm in the same situation right now. From what I have found so far you need to pay PST on the boat when transfering ownership. Also a one time registration fee of $250 for the trailer. Anyone please correct me if im wrong. Goverment web sites suck!

Edited by mistaredone

Like Sinker said.. Get'er done! Total cost... less than the $300 fine for not having your vessel licence with you!

$25 for the trailer maybe... not $250. Lloyd did his sled and trailer in 10 minutes on the way to Temagami and his total cost was under $150 paying taxes.. getting plates for trailer and sled.

Edited by irishfield

You actually register the trailer with MTO not the boat so you can just go in with a receipt for the trailer...its a strange situation...

The boat is registered with a different branch of the gov't. I still have no idea why it isn't a one-stop deal.

From what I gather, you change the boat registration at the post office ???? That is what I have been told, and the trailer registration at the MTO office, or where you would go to get the stickers for the car !

Edited by Lunker777