Negotiating with dealers

sneak_e_pete

Need some advice from some of the seasoned members.

I need to buy a boat trailer. Nothing big, just a shorelandr that will accomodate my 12 ft. aluminum. I called a couple of places and got varying quotes, but 2 of them quoted me $795.00. I also want to get a spare tire and some bearing buddies. I have never negotiated anything with a dealer and am hoping you can offer some advice?

Thanks.

With the economy the way it is, I am sure they would be open to negotiating.

Just be firm, and say that unless they throw those items in, you'll go elsewhere.

Most people wouldn't lose the deal over a spare tire. If they are that cheap, then you don't want to deal with them anyways.

The approach I take in getting the best price is:

1. Make it clear all the items you want and that you are looking for an "all in" price

2. Indicate that you are taking competitive bids from several sources but may not take the lowest bid

3. (the key) You are ready to make a decision by a defined date (today, tomorrow, next day)

Many times a dealer will bump the price to make allowances for what you may ask to have thrown in after being quoted (point 1). Taking the lowest bid is pointless if the item has to come from 1/2 around the world at an undetermined date (point 2). The best price is not being offered to a "tire kicker", you must demonstrate you are ready to buy (point 3).

It is also best to negotiate with the person able to make the decision and/or has the most to gain in a sale.

Good luck.

Shop around.... Although the economy is taking a hit, the dealer needs to keep a business going. :)

That said, you are in the driver seat and can take your business else where. Like others said get an all in price. Take the best service, people etc.

Your overall difference in price is not going to be that big so look at the other stuff, service, people, location, repeat service..

If your lucky see if you can find out what the list price is. Then you know what the dealer is getting and go from there

We are talking about a 800 dollar item here there might not be a whole lot of wiggle room.

Dealers have to make a few bucks too, overhead you know!

I agree with lookinforwalleye and for only an $800 trailer I don't think the dealer can afford to throw in too much more without cutting too far into his own profit .

Just my 5¢

$800 seems like a pretty fair market value for the trailer, I looked into one for my 14 foot tinner(bought just the boat at the time/no trailer) and all the quotes I was given for the trailer come in at around $800. If you can try and negotiate for a spare tire, go for it...most tires on rims for that size trailer will probably run about $70-$80 but keep in mind with an $800 purchase, that would be 10% value of the deal

The way I look at it is there is no harm in trying to save yourself a few bucks and the dealer will never sell you anything they are not going to make a profit off of. So if the trailer is $800, I would start by asking for your spare and bearing for $700 all in CASH and then start negotiating from there. It's alot easier to save some doe if you offer straight up cash. Worse thing that happens is that you still walk away with a $800 trailer.

Just my two cents

Cheers

Think of it this way. The business gets asked what kind of deal do I get? How much if I pay cash? Asked every single day multiple times on everything. If you have never been to the place and purchased anything else from them, do not expect much. To have them do the spare, bearings and trailer $700.00 cash is an insult to their paycheck. They have to make a living as well. No it does not hurt to shop around. But for an $800.00 trailer, how much gas and man hours do you want to waste to get $50 bucks off?

As posted above, on a $800 trailer, probably not much wiggle room for the dealer. If that is the going rate, which it seems to be, then I am fine with paying it. If the shop is reknown for its after sales service, I never get bothered too much if I pay a bit of a premium on the purchase as I know their service is worth it.

One approach is to say...

"I have $700 to spend on a trailer. It needs to carry my ___ft boat and I would like it to have a spare tire and bearing buddies. Do you have anything that meets my needs?"

I do this for a living. The goal is to bring your offer to the people in a way that makes it easy for them to negotiate. Don't tell them that you know it's an $800 trailer and that the other stuff should be extra. Tell them what you are looking for and how much you want to spend...Someone will have the right deal for you.

Let them make the offer to you!

One of the most important secrets of negotiating is remembering that the BEST deal is one where you BOTH win ... it may be worth paying a few bucks more to have more reliable and courteous service if you need it ... and in the long run the value of the relationships you build are MUCH bigger than any percieved short term savings ... perhaps I am a bit of a sucker .. but I often pay MORE .. and I normaly get more than I bargained for .... even if only a good feeling of having contributed to the success of those around me ....

just my 2.5 cents

As Lew said.

Don't expect much of a discount or freebies. It's a trailer only, now if you were buying a package deal then you might have a little room to play. Remember the "extras" are where the dealer probably finds his profit.

If you should negotiate a deal please let us know. :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks for the feedback. Very true about there not being much room to haggle. I narrowed it down to 2 dealers, who had the best starting price. Neither would budge on the deal, however I chose 1 over the other for the following reasons.

1. Out of the 2 dealers I was talking with, this one made me feel like they wanted my business. The other dealer made me feel like I was wasting their time. To me, a sale is a sale, no matter how big or small.

2. This dealer threw in a mounting bracket for the spare tire I wanted. The other didn't.

3. This dealer completes the paperwork for the new plate and gives me the plate on the spot. The other dealer was going to send me out to the DMV to do it myself.

Although I have to drive an extra 30 minutes each way over the other dealer, as mentioned, the importance of good service (and follow-up service) is important.

Thanks again, I feel good about my decision.

Thanks for the feedback. Very true about there not being much room to haggle. I narrowed it down to 2 dealers, who had the best starting price. Neither would budge on the deal, however I chose 1 over the other for the following reasons.

1. Out of the 2 dealers I was talking with, this one made me feel like they wanted my business. The other dealer made me feel like I was wasting their time. To me, a sale is a sale, no matter how big or small.

2. This dealer threw in a mounting bracket for the spare tire I wanted. The other didn't.

3. This dealer completes the paperwork for the new plate and gives me the plate on the spot. The other dealer was going to send me out to the DMV to do it myself.

Although I have to drive an extra 30 minutes each way over the other dealer, as mentioned, the importance of good service (and follow-up service) is important.

Thanks again, I feel good about my decision.

1. Maybe the other delaer had a bottom line and didin't feel like expending time when there is no profit to be made. 2. Go to DMV to get the plate for you, I would give you the address and and some info what to do. Maybe the first dealer will bait the hook for you too. <_<

It sounds to me that you have made a good decision. One dealer was interested in providing a level of service and the other was simply moving a product.

As for the above statement, I find it rather insulting to the O.P. who only asked a valid question. He did not ask for the extra's, they were thrown in as the O.P. is a customer. A customer who will network with friends and a customer who will recommend this service to friends and aquaintences.

Suggesting that the O.P. requires someone to bait his hook, to me and in my humble opinion in bad taste and well, offensive.

Now excuse me while I go looking for someone to bait my hook! :wallbash:

HH

Thanks for the sarcasm, it added a lot to the post. Hopefully you don't own a business. I own a small business and understand the importance of the "small sales". May not be much in my pocket, but the referal or "future" business down the road is worth while. As far as the plate goes, I was commenting on how the first dealer goes the extra mile to register the trailer at the dealership (not the DMV) whereas the other guy doesn't.

Sheesh

Go with the guy that wants your business and is willing to go the extra mile. Imagine what the others who didn't jump through hoops will be like if you have a problem.

I'm in sales, in this environment, you do what you gotta do to make the sale, if the margin isn't all that great, that's too bad, at least there is some margin and a bit of profit as opposed to nothing.

One approach is to say...

"I have $700 to spend on a trailer. It needs to carry my ___ft boat and I would like it to have a spare tire and bearing buddies. Do you have anything that meets my needs?"

I do this for a living. The goal is to bring your offer to the people in a way that makes it easy for them to negotiate. Don't tell them that you know it's an $800 trailer and that the other stuff should be extra. Tell them what you are looking for and how much you want to spend...Someone will have the right deal for you.

Let them make the offer to you!

Pretty much the approach I took in buying my last truck. Firm on the type of truck I wanted, firm on my price that I wanted to spend, and firm on the options I needed to have. Found the truck that I wanted with a list price was $21K + taxes, it needed a hitch and wiring, bed liner and tonneau cover. I ended up with all of my options including a fiberglass tonneau cover, held on my price that I wanted to spend and drove away with taxes in for $17, 000. (Spent another few bucks on the rust protection module was the only up sell I did take.) I took me a couple of years of sittting on the fence before I was committed to the idea of spending any money are all. I did a lot of homework and in the end I'm happy with my purchase.

It looks like you've found yourself a good dealer, good luck with your purchase.