Wild Huron Chromers ~ Pic's

solopaddler

Met up with Bill (BillM on the board) on Saturday for a day of steelheading on one of my favourite north Huron rivers.

The river is hard to access in its lower reaches, wide, deep and somewhat featureless. This makes fishing from a boat a huge advantage and that was our game plan utilizing Billy's 15' Legend.

Would the boat launch be usable and the river free of ice? We really had no idea, driving the 3 hours up there and taking our chances was the only option.

Upon arrival it was a good news bad news scenario. On the plus side the river was wide open and looked prime.

On the downside the ramp was still partially snow covered and blocked in with a sizable snow bank compliments of the road plow.

Still Bill gave it a shot, and although we did get the truck stuck for a short while perseverance prevailed and we finally launched and loaded the boat.

SaubleMar72009007.jpg

SaubleMar72009006.jpg

SaubleMar72009009.jpg

SaubleMar72009008.jpg

With zero wind we first cruised out to the lake to see if we could connect with some pods of staging fish.

Pack ice halted our progress not too far out, but man did it look good!

SaubleMar72009010.jpg

Alas there was nothing happening at the lake so we began the task of slowly and thoroughly working our way up the river, anchoring just above likely looking seams and drifting our offerings down to the fish.

We didn't get a ton of fish yesterday, but there's definitely something to be said for quality over quantity. :)

All the fish were bright chrome and a couple were absolute tanks putting up long and drawn out battles.

I'll let the photos speak for themselves:

SaubleMar72009011.jpg

SaubleMar72009012.jpg

SaubleMar72009013.jpg

SaubleMar72009014.jpg

SaubleMar72009016.jpg

SaubleMar72009018.jpg

SaubleMar72009019.jpg

SaubleMar72009021.jpg

SaubleMar72009023.jpg

SaubleMar72009024.jpg

SaubleMar72009020.jpg

SaubleMar72009030.jpg

SaubleMar72009037.jpg

SaubleMar72009038.jpg

SaubleMar72009032.jpg

Several other fish were hooked, fought and lost, including one that felt absolutely huge (never even got a glimpse of it).

We had planned on staying overnight, but the river was rising from snowmelt throughout the day and was pretty much trashed by the time we left.

Not complaining though, what a fantastic day!! :D

Cheers, Mike

My F150 would have backed my boat in there one shot Bill ! lol

Some nice fish there fellas!

hahaha!!!

Those pics make that bank look really small. I never though I'd highside my oldmans 2500HD Duramax but I did it yesterday. The ramp itself was great, but the snowplows made a nice little obstacle over the winter. A bit of digging later and all the weight was over the wheels and not the front skidplate, lol. It sure was fun to lay the hammer down in 4LO and displace some snow.

Good day for sure, not a huge number of fish, but man were they ever pretty!! Mike put a clinic on today on how to read water. Luckily I paid attention..

Thanks again Mike! till next time bud

hahaha!!!

Those pics make that bank look really small. I never though I'd highside my oldmans 2500HD Duramax but I did it yesterday. The ramp itself was great, but the snowplows made a nice little obstacle over the winter. A bit of digging later and all the weight was over the wheels and not the front skidplate, lol. It sure was fun to lay the hammer down in 4LO and displace some snow.

Good day for sure, not a huge number of fish, but man were they ever pretty!! Mike put a clinic on today on how to read water. Luckily I paid attention..

Thanks again Mike! till next time bud

Nice chrome fellas...

Nice fish fellas. That's my old stomping ground were you were. We use to drive the boat up onto the ice and fish under the ice! The last cottage on the left heading out to the lake has a real nice deep hole right up to the bend. Man I got to make some arangements and get up there.

Scooter :thumbsup_anim:

SaubleMar72009016.jpg

Ah...the mighty Bruce... that cedar tree has produced a LOT of fish...LOL. Every time I see pics of back home makes me miss bouncin the bottom!!!

Well done.

Also my favourite river.

Yep, the same spots continue to produce year after year, the old river doesn't change much.

How'd you find yourself moving to N/W Ontario?

That's a move I'd love to make myself.

SWEET

Seems like the big girls were out this weekend, I hooked three bigguns on saturday and lost a few more, all day I didnt see one fish less than 5 pounds come it.

Awesome fishin boys, Mike that one hen is a tank!