"F" word

pikehunter

Flipped through the channels on the tube last night and came across the show F Word. I have seen it once before and have seen some of chef G. Ramsey's other shows. Other than his controversial nature this show was really barbaric.

It was based on his desire to bring eels back to the popularity they once had on the British menu. OK, so what's the big deal? Now I don't usually criticize how people handle their catch, whether they enjoy shore lunches, catch and release or keep the allowable quota but I have to say I was almost sick to my stomach at how the eels were handled and had to change the channel.

The show showed an interesting scene on catching eels in the Thames River, pretty neat. But then went on to show the how they are cleaned, OK I'm have never known how eels are eaten cleaned or prepared but this guy on the show grabs a live eel, chops it's head off, slices it down the gut and takes the eel in one hand - the knife in the other and rips the the innards out.

OK, bad but not so bad as to switch the channel. Then he goes into a restaurant with some famous Japanese chef in the kitchen. This guy does pretty much the same but is really barbaric. He grabs a live eel, chops it head off, runs his knife from the neck to tail ripping it in two, scrapes the guts out while the bodiless head is sitting on the block gasping for life. He then separates the still beating heart from the rest of the eel and offers it up to Ramsey for a treat! He is standing there with the eels beating heart in his hand and was about to eat it and then I hit the remote and killed the show so I really don't know if he ate it or not.

Now I have no clue as to what is acceptable or somewhat normal but this seemed came across to me as really barbaric and inhumane. Am I looking at this the right way or am I being overly sensitive? :dunno:

I just googled this and got a you tube link, I didn't copy and paste it or watch the whole you tube version but if anyone wants to see it you can find it on the net.

Am I looking at this the right way or am I being overly sensitive? :dunno:

you're being way too overly sensitive (especially for a fisherman). from what you described, I don't see anything wrong with how they're preparing those fish. Whats the difference between that or tossing live perch on the ice when harvesting them?

heart beating = fresh meal!!

If you think that show's "barbaric"... you definately don't want to watch Tony Bourdain cruise the world for tasty treats!

I don't know how else you would prepare a fresh meal like that... barbaric is not a word I would use describe it, but, hey to each their own... that's why the remote has some many buttons on it! I'm pretty sure the Eel wouldn't clean it's self!

HH

Well as far as the humane aspect is concerned a bonk in the head before decapitation would have improved the situation but its not that bad. The heads not on the body, so it wouldnt feel the gutting occur or anything. As far as the rules goverening such behaviour the eel should have been whacked in teh head 1st. But it's not a huge deal.

As far as eating the heart is concerned, cultural difference. Beating is a moot point. Head is off, heart just doesnt know its dead yet. I'm sure you've seen TV shows of Inuit eating fresh killed seal liver, or caribou meat. No different.

-Dave

You all may be right. Just eating the beating heart that got to me. The cleaning OK, not bad after all gutting is not for the squeamish, but the gasping head was well.... And barbaric might be too strong a word for this. I can still remember my father killing chickens by lobbing the head off and seeing the body running around the yard. But the still beating eels heart was what did it and made me post as it was still on my mind this morning.

And yes we have many cultural differences in this world.

Edited by pikehunter

Well as far as the humane aspect is concerned a bonk in the head before decapitation would have improved the situation but its not that bad. The heads not on the body, so it wouldnt feel the gutting occur or anything. As far as the rules goverening such behaviour the eel should have been whacked in teh head 1st. But it's not a huge deal.

As far as eating the heart is concerned, cultural difference. Beating is a moot point. Head is off, heart just doesnt know its dead yet. I'm sure you've seen TV shows of Inuit eating fresh killed seal liver, or caribou meat. No different.

-Dave

I agree....

I didnt get to see the episode last night, I was to busy surfin OFC and tryin to book rooms for this weekend ... but I could hear the wife watchin it !

I only started watchin the show a few weeks back and I think its a GREAT show. Again I didn't see the episode last night so I dont have an opinion on the matter.

The fact that they let his swearin on the air is just GREAT hahah it makes the show way better then hells kitchen I think.... He is a bit rude, but he sure does get his point across !

One of the old methods for killing fresh caught eel was to toss them in a sack of rocksalt. I remember watching the old timers do it when I was a kid.

yup or a fork/sharp object where the tail meets the body immobilizes them.

Maybe you should think of giving up fishing and maybe try crochet, origami or maybe even interior decorating. :whistling:<_<:huh:

Harry was only expressing a personal feeling about something, so I see no need to try and publicly embarass him for it. He's entitled to an opinion just like anyone else around here.

Wouldn't quick decapitation be the most pain-free way to kill the animal?

Exactly what i was thinking.

al ot less cruel i would think than dragging fish around on a stringer, or put in a warm not so aerated livewell for hours, or just leaving the fish to suffocate and freeze on the ice.

I always bonk a fish on it's way to the fry pan as soon as possible. I was fishing with a buddy once who seemed content to let that pretty laker suffocate in the bucket.

When I suggested he dispatch his catch, he said, 'You want I should give him a Parry Sound Severe?"

well, eels continue to move long after they're dead. some muscle thing going on there. But no matter, they're dead.

BUT, you should have told him what your thoughts were on Monday at the Eaton Centre then :P

A buddy of mine told me he was there for a show of some sort