truck opinions.

beertech

Beertech the vehicles you have listed have all been great to me for longevity. The Canyon is 3 years old now and the only thing we have done was a evap sensor under warranty. The Silverado I am selling has just over 200k on it and other than brakes I have not had to touch it. No matter what you buy they can all have their problems butin my experience these are pretty solid trucks.

Not sure about the 2005 Silverado, but I have a 2008 Silverado, Crew Cab, Short box, 4.8 V8 (4x4 though) and it is WAY better on fuel economy than my 2005 Trailblazer with 4.3 V6 was. Even for city driving, at least it feels that way from the number of gas stations stops I need to make.

Towing, it was ridiculous how bad the Trailblazer was with my boat. The Silverado hardly knows it is there and can make it from my place to the lake and back for most lakes that I fish which was never true before. But I will be honest, if I didn't have $2000 of GM Visa points saved up, I might have gotten something else as I had a GMC Sierra before the trailblazer that was a terrible lemon, but those GM Visa points keep making me go back to GM. Smart marketing by them I guess.

Now that I have the truck, I love it.

Charles

Any reason you are not looking at imports? Ive owned a few differnet trucks now and the toyota and Nissian's are leagues above the domestic crap that is being produced. way better tranny's and drive systems.

save yourself some hassel and by a import, just my 2 cents.

:)

The sheet metal on your forgein trucks are made outta pop can tin it seems, Also, your Nissan has the wrost frame flex outta the whole market.... Seen plenty of pictures of guys warping boxes and what not.

Seen pics of the tail gates being twisted due to so much frame flex.... Working at a GM delaership for 2 yrs, I think I might have saw ONE or TWO trucks in for engine/tranny work.... Not one of the trucks I ever sold had a problem either !

Pisses me off a bit..... Because they slap their Nissan name on a truck, All of a sudden its the best unit available ! In my opinion.... The REAL trucks are still number one.

Youll never catch me in the seat of a Nissan or a Toyota.

The sheet metal on your forgein trucks are made outta pop can tin it seems, Also, your Nissan has the wrost frame flex outta the whole market.... Seen plenty of pictures of guys warping boxes and what not.

Seen pics of the tail gates being twisted due to so much frame flex.... Working at a GM delaership for 2 yrs, I think I might have saw ONE or TWO trucks in for engine/tranny work.... Not one of the trucks I ever sold had a problem either !

Pisses me off a bit..... Because they slap their Nissan name on a truck, All of a sudden its the best unit available ! In my opinion.... The REAL trucks are still number one.

Well you keep working at that GM dealership, unlikely you'll ever see me, after the last fiasco of $18000+, yes eighteen thousand over 10 years of repairs, if GM was the only company left making trucks, I'd push a wrong wordrickshaw around.

Well you keep working at that GM dealership, unlikely you'll ever see me, after the last fiasco of $18000+, yes eighteen thousand over 10 years of repairs, if GM was the only company left making trucks, I'd push a wrong wordrickshaw around.

Hey, to each his own I guess.... I can see where your coming from. But I mean, its not THAT often you run into someone that has had that many problems with there vehicle. How many Kms were on that truck ? and were they major issues ? because those $$ can add up quickly. And also, was it $18000 worth of parts alone ? or is that labour PLUS PLUS ya know ?

It makes me mad reading posts about how good foreign vehicles are... and then 2 or 3 topics down the board.... its the same people complaining about the economy... or how they lost there job....

Personally... Im going to drive the big 3 till I can... its a free country and you can drive what you please !! :thumbsup_anim:

I'd say a Chevy/GMC V-8 pickup is the best bet. I think they're a great all around truck. IMHO any 5 or 6 cylinder light duty engine isn't great for what you want it for because they just have to work too hard. We have an automotive high performance parts (muscle car) retail shop that's been going for the last 35 years and we've always relied on our Chevy/GMC trucks. Myself I drive a Buick Roadmaster wagon with a 350/700r4 in it. Works great for towing and is the closest thing to being a truck without being one.

Edited by kennyman

Beertech.

I have towed two boats with my F150 6 CY.4.2 First was a tinny then a 18ft Ranger.

It,s also a 5 speed manual,which make the gas consumption altitle easier to manage. IMO

I know of another that has towed a bass boat with his F150 and is also a manual. Both are of the same year 97. He has 350,000 km+ I only have 135,000 km.Lts of KM left in the ol girl.

The 4.2 does not have the same balls as the one mention in one of the above posts.I for one would stick with a manual trans,if you can get it.Thats if you are worried about fuel.

JMO

Normally I would let this pass but you are spewing crap about a truck you haven't even looked at. How is it you can say the frame on the Nissan flexes it is a full box frame that is designed to be used on a future 1 ton vehicle but also their future diesel platform. It is a 1/2 ton truck rated to tow 9500 lbs and is very well engineered. The tailgate is easily removed by lifting it off two 1 inch bolt assy. if that's what your referring to it is not a flex issue so much as a convient and easily removed tailgate. The sheet metal on the truck comes from the same plant that the infinity are made at a car noted for superior fit and form on it's sheetmetal. Nissians are not for everyone and I wouldn't dream of suggesting that they are for everyone but to bash something you don't like with lies ain't right. I base this all on fact and I have owned and drive ALL of the big name trucks and for me at this time it is Nissan over domestic trucks.

Art

for me at this time it is Nissan over domestic trucks.

Art

FYI, Nissan has contracted out the Titan to Dodge to build for them as you and the other 50 people who bought one didn't warrent Nissan to keep the assembly line open in its own factory.

For frame flex, nothing is worse than the Tundra. That truck is down right dangerous to be driven with the tow/haul specs toyota lists.

Hey, to each his own I guess.... I can see where your coming from. But I mean, its not THAT often you run into someone that has had that many problems with there vehicle. How many Kms were on that truck ? and were they major issues ? because those $$ can add up quickly. And also, was it $18000 worth of parts alone ? or is that labour PLUS PLUS ya know ?

It makes me mad reading posts about how good foreign vehicles are... and then 2 or 3 topics down the board.... its the same people complaining about the economy... or how they lost there job....

Personally... Im going to drive the big 3 till I can... its a free country and you can drive what you please !! :thumbsup_anim:

You would like to know, okay, 4 Stanadyne injector pumps with PMD, they're about $2400 each, new clutch at 72K km after ne going in repeatedly complaining about a driveline shudder, $$2000, cause by then it needed the whole flywheel and pressure plate etc, replaced, 4 sets of front axle seals, rear tx case output seal, rear pinion seal, 2 new oil cooler lines, oil cooler plus 2 sets of the cheap unions they use to attach them, upper heater hose, would you like me to continue? Then to top it off, I had to go for another injector pump, this is now #5, I finally got wise and went to an independant diesel shop, no pump needed, just the PMD to the tune of another $700(little black box about the size of a pack of smokes.) I find out afterwards, GM had extended the warranty on that particular item to 11 years, 192,000km(120k miles) but would not come clean or even go part way. That was the sh#*# dealer in Barrie on Bayfield. I had to show them where the warranty was extended. Now you wonder why I will NEVER buy another piece of GM junk. Oh, not to forget, the truck had just rolled over 159,000 when I traded it in...on a Cummins. How many times have I been back to this dealer, a bit of routine brake maintenance, otherwise I'd forget where they were located. If GM croaked it would probably do the automotive business a favour.

Maybe you would like me to continue with the aggravation my brother went through with a 2007 Corvette, 17 times in the garage in 11 months, had to get dollied out of his garage at home 3 times. He too learned, now he drives an AUDI.

Edited by Fisherman

You would like to know, okay, 4 Stanadyne injector pumps with PMD, they're about $2400 each, new clutch at 72K km after ne going in repeatedly complaining about a driveline shudder, $$2000, cause by then it needed the whole flywheel and pressure plate etc, replaced, 4 sets of front axle seals, rear tx case output seal, rear pinion seal, 2 new oil cooler lines, oil cooler plus 2 sets of the cheap unions they use to attach them, upper heater hose, would you like me to continue? Then to top it off, I had to go for another injector pump, this is now #5, I finally got wise and went to an independant diesel shop, no pump needed, just the PMD to the tune of another $700(little black box about the size of a pack of smokes.) I find out afterwards, GM had extended the warranty on that particular item to 11 years, 192,000km(120k miles) but would not come clean or even go part way. That was the sh#*# dealer in Barrie on Bayfield. I had to show them where the warranty was extended. Now you wonder why I will NEVER buy another piece of GM junk. Oh, not to forget, the truck had just rolled over 159,000 when I traded it in...on a Cummins. How many times have I been back to this dealer, a bit of routine brake maintenance, otherwise I'd forget where they were located. If GM croaked it would probably do the automotive business a favour.

Maybe you would like me to continue with the aggravation my brother went through with a 2007 Corvette, 17 times in the garage in 11 months, had to get dollied out of his garage at home 3 times. He too learned, now he drives an AUDI.

What truck was this?

It was a 1994 Chev 4x4 ext cab, 6.5 Diesel, 5 spd. Also forgot to mention in my rant, 2 lift pumps located under the driver side frame, along with complete fuel lines from tank to lift pump to injector pump and return. Add complete new brake lines, fortunately they exploded in my driveway and not on the road. This truck was never abused, got undercoated every year. I don't mind paying for wear and tear items like brakes, tires, batteries, wipers, lights, etc, but this thing was just a complete crap.

Ah, so the 6.5 was a rotary pump then? Same idea as my Jetta.

The rotary pump diesels are usually the best of the bunch, hell make them mechanical and get rid of all the electronic nasties :)

Let's hope my oldmans '07 Duramax has a very uneventful life..

Thanks Fisherman, I am probably older than most of the guys here and I also have had my MANY problems with both GM and Ford trucks. This is why I now own a Toyota Tundra. It's almost 2 year old and I forgot were I purchased it because it's never been back to the dealer.

To each it's own when it comes to buying anything. I REALLY tried to stay with a domestic vehicle but the problems were relentless. So know I purchased my first foriegn designed vehicle after 38 years of driving. I say that because it was built here in Indiana. My son also just recently purchased his first foriegn vehicle, also a Toyota when he seen how well built my truck was. He was forced to get something quick because his Pontiac need a new head gasket and fuel pump with only 65,000 miles on it. He did some research and found that was a noted problem with that engine. GM didn't want to do anything for him in this matter so he jumped ship and I doubt he will ever go back.

One thing to consider, if GM, Ford and Chrysler vehicles were so good than they wouldn't be in bankruptcy now. They would have folks beating down the door to purchase they quality vehicles and not going in droves to the foriegn market.

In the end it's your money do what you want with it and hopefully you will be happy with your purchase.

Bob

One thing to consider, if GM, Ford and Chrysler vehicles were so good than they wouldn't be in bankruptcy now. They would have folks beating down the door to purchase they quality vehicles and not going in droves to the foriegn market.

In the end it's your money do what you want with it and hopefully you will be happy with your purchase.

Bob

Uh, Toyota is projecting losses at 3.9 BILLION dollars by fiscal year end.

Doesn't look like people are beating down the doors of anyone.