truck opinions.

beertech

Since there has been so many threads on here lately thought maybe I could get some opinions on a few trucks. Firstly I own a gmc sonoma 4.3 and have loved the truck. I do however find it is thirsty when im towing my boat 16.5 with a fifty. I kinda think maybe its gearing thats the problem but not sure. I am looking right now at a few trucks and am basing my decision on gas mileage in general and towing gas mileage.

So any opinions on the trucks im considering would be great

2005 chevrolet silverado 4.8 litre v8 2wd

2005 chevrolet colorado 5 cylinder 2wd (wondering if the inline 5 would tow better than what i got.

2006 chevrolet silverado 4.3 v6 2wd wondering if the gearing is better for towing even though its the same motor I got

ford f150 v6

Edited by beertech

If you are going with the choice only in your post, I would go with the 4.8L V8 ... I drive one of these everyday, 2wd reg cab, long box.

We run them hard and they are GREAT on gas.... they are a little big of a hog when towing, but any of the choise you posted would be.

I live in chatham Ont and I drove from chatham to london round trip TWICE on under a half tank of gas. My truck has a 115L tank roughly.

With a 16.5ft boat... It would be "good" on gas.... I would say... not GREAT

If you could look into the 5.3L V8 from GM .... then you would be set.... by far the best gas milage IMHO when towing or driving, as long as you dont have a heavy foot.

Edited by Lunker777

Since there has been so many threads on here lately thought maybe I could get some opinions on a few trucks. Firstly I own a gmc sonoma 4.3 and have loved the truck. I do however find it is thirsty when im towing my boat 16.5 with a fifty. I kinda think maybe its gearing thats the problem but not sure. I am looking right now at a few trucks and am basing my decision on gas mileage in general and towing gas mileage.

So any opinions on the trucks im considering would be great

2005 chevrolet silverado 4.8 litre v8 2wd

2005 chevrolet colorado 5 cylinder 2wd (wondering if the inline 5 would tow better than what i got.

2006 chevrolet silverado 4.3 v6 2wd wondering if the gearing is better for towing even though its the same motor I got

ford f150 v6

F150 v6. Is that the 4.2 liter? My friend has an older f150 with a straight 6 4.9 liter 300 cu in and it is a stron engine. Don't think the 4.2 is as strong but I may be wrong

How much are you willing to part with?

Towing will cause your vehicle to drink no matter what yo buy.

For you boat any of those will work. The 5 cylinder is not much of a step up, if at all.

I saw a nice 04 dodge quad cab 2500 5.9 cummins diesel the other day. It is 4wd but less than $20k

My buddy has the 4.8 in his silverado quad cab 4x4 and we pulled a 21.5 boat with a big i/O in the summer without a hiccup.

Edited by Cudz

I saw a nice 04 dodge quad cab 2500 5.9 cummins diesel the other day. It is 4wd but less than $20k

I tow with my Ram ('03 2wd 2500 crew cab) with the same engine. Last year I made it from Windsor to Goderich towing a camper trailer that would either be comparable to or outweigh the boat mentioned, did all of the driving around town for the week and drove home on a single tank of fuel.

Less cylinders generally means less thirsty, rear end gears are generally a compromise, lower number better fuel economy, higher number quicker take off and pulling power.

EG. a car with 4:10 to 1 gears is going to get down the track quicker than the same car with 3:23 to 1 gears. A screamer at high way speeds though, engine is turning more RPMS to maintain speed, increased fuel usage.

Over drive transmissions were a way to help, allows a lower number rear end to have the same pulling power and increased fuel economy by adding an overdrive gear to the tranny. Allows for a higher number first gear in the tranny to make up for a lower one in the rear end.

Pick up trucks are intended for pulling, hauling, they probably come with a higher gear in the rear end than a car, a towing package might add to that.

Rear end gear ratios used to have some options, a higher gear number will make the ride seem more peppy a lower number better on fuel, not as good towing.

Got a 4.3 in my Astro, first gear is a screamer, kicks into second at like 10mph, designed to get the ride moving at bit faster.

Transmissions like the douG Nash five speed (manual) could be ordered with different gear ratios like a 3.25 to 1 first gear instead of a Muncie 2.20 to 1 first gear to allow quick pickup with a low axle gear, more top end speed better fuel economy.

Any reason you are not looking at imports? Ive owned a few differnet trucks now and the toyota and Nissian's are leagues above the domestic crap that is being produced. way better tranny's and drive systems.

save yourself some hassel and by a import, just my 2 cents.

:)

Any reason you are not looking at imports? Ive owned a few differnet trucks now and the toyota and Nissian's are leagues above the domestic crap that is being produced. way better tranny's and drive systems.

save yourself some hassel and by a import, just my 2 cents.

:)

too bad he dident ask about Import Crap he wants a mans truck my 2 cents

Guest skeeter99

take a look at some of the older durango's pre 2004 for the older body style you can pick up one with 100k on it for 9 grand loaded with leather

they have the 4.7 litre engine (287) with 3.55 rear end with a 5 speed tranny 545rfe (theses engines and trannies are bullet proof) been in jeeps for a long long time

all the power you will need and quite ggod on gas towing and driving

I can drive from oshawa to elephant lake just north of bancroft pulling a 18 foot bass boat with a 150 hp on it there and back just under a half tank of gas roughly and it is only a 95 litre tank in the durangos with the 4.7 engine

imports are very good but no aftermarket (used) and alot more money new

I drove buy a honda dealership after a snow storm and laughed my ass off they had all these trucks and the dealership snow plow was a dodge ram LOL!!! they even a advertisement on the side of the truck for the dealership

just proves if you want a truck that can do work buy a dodge LOL!!

this would be a great commercial for dodge LOL!!!

I drove buy a honda dealership after a snow storm and laughed my ass off they had all these trucks and the dealership snow plow was a dodge ram LOL!!! they even a advertisement on the side of the truck for the dealership

just proves if you want a truck that can do work buy a dodge LOL!!

this would be a great commercial for dodge LOL!!!

It's actually pretty funny that you posted that, cause there's a Honda dealership close to me here in Toronto that plows their snow with a Jeep Cherokee and they also have the dealership name on the side of the Jeep.

Chrysler should definetely jump all over this opportunity :lol:

I tow with a 2001 Nissan Pathfinder with a 3.5l engine and find that I use 30% more fuel while towing. I've seen trucks passing me on the highway doing 120kmh and would hate to see there gas bill ,I'm the guy putting along in the slow lane.

I'm looking at buying a new truck this year also so these posts always interest me. One thing for sure is I won't be buying foreign. I towed a 21' triton around last summer with a 99' jimmy and after being initially worried it towed fine and did the job no problems. It's getting up there on mileage and I've had it for 10 years so I figure it's time for a new vehicle. Those new fords sure look nice!

My friend has a Dodge, he loves it. My dad has always had Fords, he loves them. Plenty of guys at work have Chevys and GMs and they love them.

I have always had Fords, loved them. This last truck I bought is a Toyota and I love it too.

Buy the one you think looks the coolest. lol.

Whatever you get I am sure you will Love it. Have fun with your new truck, and congrats.

too bad he dident ask about Import Crap he wants a mans truck my 2 cents

lol to each his own :), Ive got a manly looking dodge Ram thats pretty much put together like barbie car.

Now Im driving a Titan and still feelin manly enough

I am just in the process of getting rid of my 2000 Silverado with a 5.3, i am replacing it with an 05 Silverado with a 4.8. If was up to me I would have stayed with the 5.3 for the extra power when towing. The 4.8 is slightly better on fuel when empty but put the trailer on and they are almost the same. As for the Canyon/Colorado my wife has had an 06 since new and although it is a nice truck the 4.8 in the Silverado will be pretty much the same and when towing probably better. If fuel mileage is what your after I would stick to GM out of the big 3. Unless your looking at going brand new, then the new Fords are pretty impressive, but the new GM's are a lot better than the older ones as well.

I have had a ew Chevy trucks. I like the 5.3L engines the best. I have had the 4.8L and if you are towing or working the engine at all it will burn the same, cause more stress on the engine and keep the revs higher thus burning more gas and causing premature wear on the engine. I have owned 2 of the newer ones. I find the 5.3 to be the best. I put a K&N filter kit with the tube on and it performs very well. I drive up to Elephant lake area all summer long and it burms a little under 1/2 tank while pulling a 18 footer with a 175. Tons of power and engine works less when driven normally and dont forget. The # 1 reason I like it. If you are on the highway and you need to pass with a boat on it will give you the power you need, the 4.8L will not. The 4.8L will bog no matter what you do. I should mention that mine is a 4x4 as well the tank is a 90L tank as well.

I am not interested in the foreign models due to the poor fuel economy they get and the high price they demand.

I have only read up to this point in the thread but this is REALLY not true. Don't take all those Chevy commercials to heart. You should do a LOT of research from independent sources first, like Consumer Reports, et............. Consumer Reports did actual mileage figures and the Tundra came out on top but it's wasn't much. Something like 1 mpg.

Now for my real mileage, I get 19.3 mpg (US miles/ US gallons) while NOT towing and between 14-15 mpg while towing my boat. I think that is pretty good with a truck that has one of the largest V-8 in a half ton truck. This truck can tow 10,000 lbs and the boat is dragged around like a rag doll behind it. It's Toyota's 6 speed tranny that makes the difference. I did hear Toyota is now working on a 8 speed tranny for even better fuel economy :)

Good Luck and have fun Truck Hunting,

Bob