truck opinions.

beertech

Hey Billl

Nice ride.

the ZR2 package is nice. Beefed up susp. and comes stock with 31 x 10.5s. Good diff and the 4.3 is solid.

Congrats. That is a clean looking truck. My dad has an 04 duramax that has a 3 stage hypertech computer system. Full 5" exhaust, Intake and intercooler and I think he may have even put on a bigger turbo. This thing can move for a big vehicle. Diesels are great. Your dad's should not have too many problems. My dad bought his new and loves it. He tows a 30' fifth wheel and his boat behind that at the same time. No probs.

Thanks Fisherman, I am probably older than most of the guys here and I also have had my MANY problems with both GM and Ford trucks. This is why I now own a Toyota Tundra. It's almost 2 year old and I forgot were I purchased it because it's never been back to the dealer.

To each it's own when it comes to buying anything. I REALLY tried to stay with a domestic vehicle but the problems were relentless. So know I purchased my first foriegn designed vehicle after 38 years of driving. I say that because it was built here in Indiana. My son also just recently purchased his first foriegn vehicle, also a Toyota when he seen how well built my truck was. He was forced to get something quick because his Pontiac need a new head gasket and fuel pump with only 65,000 miles on it. He did some research and found that was a noted problem with that engine. GM didn't want to do anything for him in this matter so he jumped ship and I doubt he will ever go back.

One thing to consider, if GM, Ford and Chrysler vehicles were so good than they wouldn't be in bankruptcy now. They would have folks beating down the door to purchase they quality vehicles and not going in droves to the foriegn market.

In the end it's your money do what you want with it and hopefully you will be happy with your purchase.

Bob

GMs 6.5 L DIESEL was crap no arguements but the 4.3-5.0 -and 5.7 they built the 350 from what 1954 ish,toughest and most widely used engine around the 89-98 Chevys are argueably the best trucks chev built.there still many around with 3-4-5 hundred thousand kms on them some on orig engines ,My tranny in my last chev let go after 270 +th kms and turning big rubber most of its life,your Tundra threads make me laugh lets give them 5-6 yrs out there and report back on whats broke and how great the # 4 Auto builder is then,that is if there not back in Japan making 4 cly Tercels by then

report back on whats broke and how great the # 4 Auto builder is then,that is if there not back in Japan making 4 cly Tercels by then

Maybe you didn't hear but Toyota is the #1 automaker in the world now passing GM this year. I don't think they did that by building unreliable vehicles but that is exactly why GM is bankrupt and needs the US government to bail them out or they will go under. I don't see that happing by Toyota or any other foriegn car manufacture to my knowledge. I find it amusing that many just don't want to recognize that. If GM, Ford and Chrysler vehicle were so good why are they having trouble selling them. Why are they ready to go under if not helped by taxpayer's dollars.

As I said before purchase what you want. I purchased over 15 new vehicles in my lifetime and have given up on GM, Ford and Chrysler.

This argument will never end but at least it is civil up to now. :)

Bob

BillyBob, many factors are leading to the financial woes of GM. Least of not which is their paying of health benefits etc of all their retired employees. Was a very good article on it in the newspaper the other day.

As for your assertion over Toyota's being so good. Maybe ask my sister about her 2007 Toyota Camry.

Hi all. I've enjoyed reading these opinions and even got a few chuckles. I myself have a Honda Ridgeline, and while it does what I need it to do I don't consider it a real truck. That's fine by me, like i said it does what I need it to do and in comfort. It pulls my boat, carries my 4 wheeler, gets me to work, camp, and home, and never goes back to the shop. I really could relate to the Silverado horror story, because I have a similiar feeling about Ford. I had a Ford F150, and in 2004 (I think) I qualified for the Cabelas National Team Championship in Dubuque Iowa, a trip of some 1200 miles each way. I'm going to give you the short version of the story, not because I'm trying to hide anything but because the long version would take pages. Anyhow, 3 days before the tournament I had a fuse problem. Dumb me did not bring any tools, but thinking it was no big deal went to the Ford dealership in Dubuque just 2 miles from our hotel. To make a long story even shorter, by the end of the tournament week I had paid the Ford dealer over $500.00 for 2 fuses; actually 4 fuses because they replaced them twice. At the time I was pretty sick about it, but I was focused on the tournament. When I got home the problem occurred again, and that's when I pulled out my invoice copies and looked at what they had actually done. I replaced the 2 fuses for the 3rd time and then determined the root cause, which was my trailer lights were intermittently shorting out and causing the fuses to blow. Anyhow, while it certainly wasn't the dealerships responsibility to fix the trailer, in my opinion they certainly took advantage of me. I wrote Ford and I wrote the dealership and I never got any satisfaction. I sold the truck within 3 months and will never in a million years buy another Ford anything until I receive a fair compensation for being ripped off. Anyone who believes that it's people like me that are contributing to the economic collapse in the U.S. are sadly misinformed. I've spent my life in manufacturing, I've worked since I was 15, I'm a veteran, and I pay taxes...a lot of taxes. Anyhow, like I said, I've enjoyed reading these posts.

Maybe you didn't hear but Toyota is the #1 automaker in the world now passing GM this year. I don't think they did that by building unreliable vehicles but that is exactly why GM is bankrupt and needs the US government to bail them out or they will go under. I don't see that happing by Toyota or any other foriegn car manufacture to my knowledge. I find it amusing that many just don't want to recognize that. If GM, Ford and Chrysler vehicle were so good why are they having trouble selling them. Why are they ready to go under if not helped by taxpayer's dollars.

As I said before purchase what you want. I purchased over 15 new vehicles in my lifetime and have given up on GM, Ford and Chrysler.

Bob

I think the biggest difference Toyota has over the domestics is service. All car makers produce lemons or cars with more problems than others made that year ( either made on a Friday of a long weekend or the first Monday after Christmas holidays). My mom had a Camary that ate starters and alternators BUT they took it in and fixed it over and over, no arguments and a car to drive to boot.

I've owned three GMC trucks and the Chevy truck I own right now and have been happy with them. They do what I need them to do and come back for more even though I use them hard. The Chevy is the first one that has needed warranty work performed and it has been hell. The Bull GM dealers put you through is incredible but if you were paying for it they bend over backwards to help you and no replacement ride unless they know for a fact it is warranty work. They have put three sets of heads on it and they are going again. I can't wait for the fight with the service manager this time :wallbash: .

All the brands have their good and bad points but after this experience I might change brands next time just because of the service side of things. Toyota seems to be the best for service according to friends and family but I personally don't like the '07 truck for my own reasons after driving one for a while at work. Not saying it's bad, just not for me. Does that make any sense?

Going to have to start a thread next year on service stories to see who comes out on top. After all the crap I have been through with this, it will come down to the truck as well as the best after sales service next time. I want someone who backs up what they sell. Maybe I'll just bite the bullet and fix this one myself, put a new motor in it and ride it into the ground.

I truly believe after sale service is what has given the Big Three all their bad press in the last 20 years. I just happened to experience it recently and I am considering a brand change. How many others are out there like me. I think they took the North American market for granted and are paying for it now.

Bob

Toyota didn't surpass GM to be the #1 automaker, it surpassed them to be the largest.. Big difference :) Here is a article from the NY Times that you might wanna read...

In the Red, Toyota Sees Loss Tripling.

Toyota didn't surpass GM to be the #1 automaker, it surpassed them to be the largest.. Big difference :) Here is a article from the NY Times that you might wanna read...

In the Red, Toyota Sees Loss Tripling.

If this is what you are going by then GM will NEVER be the #1 automaker with all it's problems. You are really pulling straws, but then didn't you just purchase a GM product. If that makes you feel better GREAT.

Uh scroll up, I said the Tacoma and the earlier Toyota 4x4's were the best small trucks ever made. I'm not Toyota bashing at all. There is a reason a used Tacoma with similar miles to the truck I just picked up is about 6k more...

They are having financial difficulty like all the other car companies out there, they aren't impervious to it...

Uh scroll up, I said the Tacoma and the earlier Toyota 4x4's were the best small trucks ever made. I'm not Toyota bashing at all. There is a reason a used Tacoma with similar miles to the truck I just picked up is about 6k more...

They are having financial difficulty like all the other car companies out there, they aren't impervious to it...

OH, OK :)

Well I know for sure every now and then you get a lemon. My last vehicle was an astro van. Everything went wrong with it. Now my new s10 now has 200 000 on it and runs great. The only thing thats gone wrong with it has been a fuel pump. Bit to ge honest every gm car iv owned has needed a fuel pump.

Saying that a friend has a tundra and at 130000 kms the tranny went. 3600 hundred later for the tranny and he is making payments on a tranny and truck. He told me his next car will be a gm because parts are cheaper and the wreckers are full of them

Saying that a friend has a tundra and at 130000 kms the tranny went. 3600 hundred later for the tranny and he is making payments on a tranny and truck. He told me his next car will be a gm because parts are cheaper and the wreckers are full of them

NO!!!!!!!!! cant belive it, you sir are a Lieing to us good folks,Toyotas are gods gifts of Vechiles and will never break down now you take that back,lol have ya decided on your next truck Yet Beertech theres some great deals to be had

NO!!!!!!!!! cant belive it, you sir are a Lieing to us good folks,Toyotas are gods gifts of Vechiles and will never break down now you take that back,lol have ya decided on your next truck Yet Beertech theres some great deals to be had

:lol:

My best friends husband just bought her a 2009 Silverado quad cab 4x4...I'm so jealous. He researched every truck and van that's out there ad nauseum....this one will give them what they need for the next 10 yrs...they hope. They should get it within 8 wks...

Maureen

My best friends husband just bought her a 2009 Silverado quad cab 4x4...I'm so jealous. He researched every truck and van that's out there ad nauseum....this one will give them what they need for the next 10 yrs...they hope. They should get it within 8 wks...

Maureen

yeah them new GMs have gotta be the nicesst looking they have built in the past 9 yrs,good for them :clapping:

I'm thinking about picking up an 84ish Chevy K10; it might even be a K20 come to think about it. They always looked like pretty capable haulers/work trucks. Any thoughts/experiences with the old brutes?

Since everyone is busy arguing I guess I'll try and answer your question. My grandfather bought an '80 chev custom deluxe k10 brand new off the lot. Still has it to this day. It has the 350 and a standard transmission with a bull low gear. I've never seen a truck that hasn't been modified in any way go through so much and constantly tow heavy loads. He used to use it to skid huge logs out of the bush and now he uses it to haul his cut wood from the bush. He hauls 5600kg loads right on the bumper and has been for 29 years. Probably going on 5-600k, odometer says 4-somethin but it didn't work for much of the 90's. Through that time it has gone through some body jobs, like all older chevs, it rusts, put one motor in it didn't need to but he "got a good deal on one" as he says. I think he also put a rear end or 2 in it but with all the heavy jerking and hauling he did and does it's understandable. On a side not, about 5 or 6 years ago he bought a ford f150 just for a daily driving truck, that truck probably has cost him more in the 5 or 6 years on maintenance than his chev did in 29 years.

But that said, they really don't make them like they used to, no matter what vehicle you talk about. Too much plastic on all the vehicles now, even the trucks. I own a 91 chev 2wd (wish it were 4) and it is extremely reliable, does what I need it to do and in the 5 years that I have had it I've only had to put a starter on it. The best thing about it is that it's made of steel, imagine that! The Cheyennes of the mid 90s are tough trucks too... Hope this helps with your choice, when you called them old brutes, you were right.

Edited by Maverick