More oldies but goodies.

Bernie

Purchased a slide/negative scanner today. Dug out some old packages of negatives and found a couple of treasures.

Thought I would share.

These guys are family and friends. Looks like a good days fishing. It looks like there were 6 guys fishing that day.

1-21-2009_002.jpg

1-21-2009_001.jpg

Another young lad fishing off the dock.

Scanned3_0018.jpg

This one was taken in my era. This is my dad and a friend of mine after we went fishing.

Scanned3_0025.jpg

Great stuff Bernie! History is never boring.

May see you tomorrow up... or Tuesday back!

Ok Wayne. I will be around tomorrow. I will keep the coffee pot full.

Taking Friday off to get ready for ice fishing crew this weekend.

I love old pictures, I bet you cant find a photo of three middle aged men today without at least one being OBeast.

Fantastic picture of the kid sitting, kind of like a story book picture.

Edited by holdfast

Thanks Bernie, some more great pictures there !!

I grew up and learned to fish & drive a boat in that black and white world, and looking at old pics like those always bring back wonderful memories.........cedarstrips, Seahorses & fishin line we could tow the boat with :thumbsup_anim:

I often think times were much better back then.........

There's 100's of old b/w photos at my Mom's house and I still enjoy rummaging thru them.

Edited by lew

Thanks Bernie, some more great pictures there !!

I grew up and learned to fish & drive a boat in that black and white world, and looking at old pics like those always bring back wonderful memories.........cedarstrips, Seahorses & fishin line we could tow the boat with :thumbsup_anim:

There's 100's of old b/w photos at my Mom's house and I still enjoy rummaging thru them.

It certainly was a simpler time. I learned on a big ol' green cedar strip and a 6hp Merc. I remember only too well getting a bird's nest in an old level wind reel like the young boy was holding.

Things certainly were better then as a kid. Being a kid, or young man, with no cares or worries beyond where to fish and what bait to use. Life wasn't cluttered up with details yet. Heck, I wasn't even allowed to clean my own fish. That was Gram's job. My job, catch em. :D

How much better can it get. Time to look at some old albums.

Thanks for sharing .

Edited by bigugli

You guys have got to be real old farts on here, all of this is way before my time LOL and then my wife brings out some scrap books and says is this you in these black & whites........ummmm.....well I went back down memory lane again looking at all of those old pics, it doesn't seem that long ago but it is and now I feel like an old fart.

I can remember our first television and my dad could not afford much and the screen was either a 6" or 8" and the television only had shows on in the evening nothing during the day. I think that was like in the mid to late 50's , my mind is drawing a blank right now as that is a while ago and I can remember watching the hockey games on there of the original 6 teams and the players were very small on that screen and we could hardly make out but it was enjoyable. Hard to believe what we have evolved to............enough of this it is way before my time.

Regards,

Sam

awesome photos

although my dad and his brother were avid fishermen , not many photos .

The first pic brings back a vivid memory of my dads old outboard catching fire under the bridge at Desert Lake north of Kingston !

Old cedar strip boat that he had salvaged and repaired.

good stuff

TB

Question for you Bernie, or anyone else that can help.

I've got plenty of old b/w pics from back in the day, but no negatives to go with them. Most of these pictures are only about 3 1/2" X 3 1/2" and some even smaller at 1 1/2" X 1 1/2". I'd like to enlarge a few of them, but when I scan them and print them in a larger size, they become blurred. Anyway they can be made larger without blurring ??

I've posted this pic before, but it 's a favorite of mine and shows my Dad, myself on your right and my brother Ed on our 1st deer hunting trip up in the Ottawa Valley in 1959

Cnv1204.jpg

Wow! They ARE good Bernie. I don't know of anyone who doesn't love those pictures. I remember in those days, taking a picture or having one taken of you was almost an event. It was expensive and everything had to be just right. In most cases you had a roll of film with 12 exposures so you tried to make every one of them count. I find that nowadays with the digital technology, you get great pics but lots of folks just point and click at anything at all.

Thanks for sharing.....great pictures and surely treasures for you.

Wow! They ARE good Bernie. I don't know of anyone who doesn't love those pictures. I remember in those days, taking a picture or having one taken of you was almost an event. It was expensive and everything had to be just right. In most cases you had a roll of film with 12 exposures so you tried to make every one of them count. I find that nowadays with the digital technology, you get great pics but lots of folks just point and click at anything at all.

Thanks for sharing.....great pictures and surely treasures for you.

Yea Roy I forgot about that. Its true what you said, a Photo was a big expensive event. Probably thats why I hate getting my picture to this day thinking how everything had to be just so perfect and rehearsed in the old Days. Funny how we take things for granted now.

I'd like to enlarge a few of them, but when I scan them and print them in a larger size, they become blurred. Anyway they can be made larger without blurring ??

Lew....you should be able to scan them at a much higher resolution. That way when you print, they wont be blurry.

Check your scanner settings....for mine there are multiple settings...for instance...100 is 100% of the original picture size. I can choose 200 (scan at twice the resolution), 300 (3 times the resolution) etc....

If you set it around 500 or higher, you should be able to print photo quality 5x7s or 8x10s if the resolution is high enough.

We do this every year with our kids school pics. We order one 5x7...scan them at high resolution and then print all the 8x10s we want.

If you need more help, just let me know...there are few things I can do. Either head to your place and show you...or remotely from my own computer if you have windows XP or later. I can even drop my scanner off at your place to use for a week if yours wont do it.

Edited by ccmt

Hi Bernie, great photos. Interesting thing is that the boat in your avatar and the boats in the first picture are almost identical. Some things change and some don't. I guess if it ain't broke dont fix it. Testament to an enduring design and a lasting product.

Put up some more when you have a moment. Much appreciated.

Great pictures!

I have been attempting to scan a few of the negatives that I have but they are large and our scanner only does 35mm unless one gets creative. Curious if yours will scan larger negatives and if so, what is the make and model

Thank you for the comments. Glad you are enjoying them.

We have spent a good part of our lives in a wonderous era Lew.

....Way cool Bernie. :thumbsup_anim: I been thinking bout getting a negative scanner (I have quite a number of negatives), did you enhance those pictures or is that exactly how they scanned?

Those were posted as they came off the scanner Chris. A good fellow from here sent a program to enhance/ clean them up but I have to learn it first.

I remember in those days, taking a picture or having one taken of you was almost an event. It was expensive and everything had to be just right.

So true Roy!

Funny how we take things for granted now.

I try not to but am guilty of it as well.

I have been attempting to scan a few of the negatives that I have but they are large and our scanner only does 35mm unless one gets creative. Curious if yours will scan larger negatives and if so, what is the make and model

I looked for one that would do larger negatives too Carole as there are several hundred or more around. But we also have a couple thousand slides to do so that will keep me busy for a year or two.

I tried pushing in a 128 negative and it works but it only is capable of scanning the space of a 35 mm so much of the picture is lost.

awesome pics!!!.... man I wish I was around to experience the fishing back then!... as for the scanner.... I know epson used to make a sweet scanner that could handle larger negatives other then 35mm I will take a look and let you know..

G

Question for you Bernie, or anyone else that can help.

I've got plenty of old b/w pics from back in the day, but no negatives to go with them. Most of these pictures are only about 3 1/2" X 3 1/2" and some even smaller at 1 1/2" X 1 1/2". I'd like to enlarge a few of them, but when I scan them and print them in a larger size, they become blurred. Anyway they can be made larger without blurring ??

I've posted this pic before, but it 's a favorite of mine and shows my Dad, myself on your right and my brother Ed on our 1st deer hunting trip up in the Ottawa Valley in 1959

Cnv1204.jpg

I always knew you were a tough son of a gun Lew but deer hunting with an axe??? That's just showing off! :thumbsup_anim:

Love those vintage photos.