whats your favorite time to fish

walleyemaster

whats your favorite time of the year to fish?

its been a few years now that ive come to realise that ice fishing for me has become my favorite fishing time of the year... even though i just purchased my dream boat 3 years ago.. yes i love the feeling of being on the open water with blue skies and having a cold one....yes it is nice real, nice..... i bought a new skidoo last year after having older used ones and yes this did also help me in making my decision about my favorite season...skidoos are awsome...so now i fly down the lake punch a few holes drop the vexilar look for fish and if theres no fish i move on and punch another hole untill i find them and then wait for the bite..."tight lines"

during the winter you can go from lake to lake through the bush ...cant do that with the boat

Well you can.. but it gets expensive.. ! :D

I'm still fairly new to this ice fishing thing.. going into my 4th season... but give me a lightly overcast..80 *F August day.. out in the boat and I'm good. A bikini clad, female, deck mate even makes it better! B)

My favorite time to fish is when I get to the lake...

... and I like to finish up just before I leave!

Open water 24/7/365 here!!! :thumbsup_anim::Gonefishing::thumbsup_anim:

No closed seasons and you can fish with 50 or more rods if you want (except for 2 lakes that have a 3 rod limit)!!!

... does it get any better than that??? :w00t:

Never even tried ice fishing, too many nights on a cold truck dock, was even young and dumb once and came to work when it was 17 or 19 below zero back in the 70`s. I learned they gave us sick days for a reason! 25f balmy, 0F cold, anything below that doesn`t involve me!

Like my water like my wife, soft and warm! Fished in snow, rain, cold, ice season is tackle prep time. As much as I loved it there was a time and place for me, on the water, not ice!

12 months a year..I avidly fish the Niagara in the cold months so there are always open water fishing options. Although the last few weeks have been less than favorable conditions, and this big cold snap has been kind of bad, I can't wait to get the boat out over the next while, soon as it warms up about 5-10 degrees..lol and the windchill staves off.

I do however have some hard water plans in the near future as well :Gonefishing:

It's been an evolution.

When I was a kid-anytime!

As a young adult, many years back it was late winter and the fall for migratory L. Ont. rainbows.

At some point I moved onto then out of ice fishing walleye locally.

Salmon on L. Ont in July held my interest for a number of years.

Presently my favourite is May, after walleye opens locally and the trout are shallow and hungry in the north.

I confess,however, I'm not very far removed from the kid who's favourite time to fish was anytime and look forward to my second childhood kicking in! :D

Well you can.. but it gets expensive.. ! :D

I'm still fairly new to this ice fishing thing.. going into my 4th season... but give me a lightly overcast..80 *F August day.. out in the boat and I'm good. A bikini clad, female, deck mate even makes it better! B)

I'm with postmaster Wayne on this one. lol.

1st year i was here in Canada i would have said i like fishing on the ice and open water equally.

2nd year i found myself thinking about ice fishing whilst out in the boat, but would not admit to myself that i had a preference...because fishing is fishing.

Now into my 3rd hardwater season i would have to say i love icefishing....i think it just opens up where i can get to access wise, Lake trout are a lot easier to target, and i love catchin and eating those, and when i get better at finding and catching big walleye through the ice i think ice fishing wins!

But....lol...fishing is fishing....i love it all!

i like ice fishing more than soft water, think about it this way. When you go in the boat you dont come into any contact with anyone else(cause you dont want to get too close, or they are flying around the lake). But when you get out on the ice everyone is there, now you are making friends and meeting new people(kinda hard in a boat) but i also like my spring stealhead opener too (but people tend to be a little rude and inconsiderate, ie... bomanville creek rape hole last year. ull no what i mean if you were there). i like to meet new people and that is why i get out fishing. I feel that is what fishing is all about right??????? guys answer this question i want your prospective on this.

thanks everyone

bigredfisher

Softwater for sure...

How ice fishing can even hold a candle to top water smallmouth in June is beyond me.

Nothing beats waking up at 4am, hitting a dead calm lake and working a Zara spook over a nice shoal in 10-12ft as the fog burns off..

Not to mention my addiction to floatfishing... I'd do it all year if I could.

Edited by BillM

i find both are pretty equal. i love just ripping across a lake with the sled and watching my lines go off and pulling a fish out of a hole. and in the summer on a nice day pulling in fish after fish you cant beat that. its all about going out there and having a good time getting away for a while and bringing home a few fish.