A New Category is Needed for OFN Community

carp-starter

I have thought about a new OFC category for some time because of what I have seen and read on OFC Community. Just in the last 3 or 4 days, there have been more than a few threads that have been posted in the “General Discussion” on OFC. It would have been more appropriate to have put these thread in this new special category where people could share their thoughts, give support and post their special requests.

About 3 weeks ago on South East Fly Fishing Forum, I saw for the first time what they had and they had what I have been thinking about. I check out South East only because of their fly tying category and so I did not know about this one category that they had.

Below is the URL of the index for the South East Fly Fishing Forum and the 2nd URL is the category that OFC should have. I think that there is a need for the category. The creation of such a category will depend on Admin and the other members of the OFC Community.

I believe that the category is self explanatory as to what it is for.

Thank you – carp-starter

Main Index Page

http://www.southeastflyfishingforum.com/forum/

The Land of Healing Waters

http://www.southeastflyfishingforum.com/fo...waters-f56.html

Do we need such category? Opinions????

I have thought about a new OFC category for some time because of what I have seen and read on OFC Community. Just in the last 3 or 4 days, there have been more than a few threads that have been posted in the “General Discussion” on OFC. It would have been more appropriate to have put these thread in this new special category where people could share their thoughts, give support and post their special requests.

About 3 weeks ago on South East Fly Fishing Forum, I saw for the first time what they had and they had what I have been thinking about. I check out South East only because of their fly tying category and so I did not know about this one category that they had.

Below is the URL of the index for the South East Fly Fishing Forum and the 2nd URL is th e category that OFC should have. I think that there is a need for the category. The creation of such a category will depend on Admin and the other members of the OFC Community.

I believe that the category is self explanatory as to what it is for.

Thank you – carp-starter

Main Index Page

http://www.southeastflyfishingforum.com/forum/

The Land of Healing Waters

http://www.southeastflyfishingforum.com/fo...waters-f56.html

Do we need such category? Opinions????

If that option works for that site, fantastic!!!!

However, if that was a forum here, I would probably have missed FishnNAutographs post about his daughter for over a day, and I think that is not acceptable.

I go directly to the general discussion area, and rarely go to the other sections.

That is why it is called the "General Discussion" forum, where you can:

"Talk about fishing, hunting, the great outdoors or whatever you like in here! Keep it clean!"

This is the place we can post ANYTHING, from fishing/hunting reports, ask questions from anything like plumbing to lawn care, ask for, and respond to requests of support in times of need.

Its up front and in our face, and it works. I am a recent recipient of support, well wishes, prayers, and quite a few pm's from members here.

No disrespect, my opinion is we do not need it.

I agree with the sentiments expressed.

I still think my idea which I asked about awhile back is a good one though :) .

A "Best of OFC" archive section for the very best trip reports. There's been many, many outstanding reports posted over the years that get lost in the shuffle....

A "Best of OFC" archive section for the very best trip reports. There's been many, many outstanding reports posted over the years that get lost in the shuffle....

That is worth a good long thought.....Mind you, most of your reports would be in it. (I mean that as a compliment, not a slag)

I agree with that... Good threads get pushed back into oblivion way too fast.

What if I were away for a coupla weeks and missed a Bunk or solo report.... OH THE HUMANITY!!

This could be could be good... A little change wouldn't be that big of a deal.

HD

Edited by Highdrifter

Hmmm, not a bad idea.

I'm normally in the "we don't need more topics" camp but this is the best arguement I've heard for a new one. There are so many good reports; it would be tough to settle on parameters/qualifications but it's worth consideration.

-Brian

Hmmm, not a bad idea.

I'm normally in the "we don't need more topics" camp but this is the best arguement I've heard for a new one. There are so many good reports; it would be tough to settle on parameters/qualifications but it's worth consideration.

-Brian

I would suggest that if possible, we do a "best of" button on the bottom of the thread segments. Similar to Craigslist. Just a thought.

yep, every 6 months or so someone says the same thing.

Really? :blahblah1::sleeping_02: Has it been that long since this topic was brought up? Boy time sure flies fast! :w00t: Could have sworn it was just a day or two ago. :whistling:

Just enjoy the forums as they are, after all that's why this site is at the top of the heap.

OFC..LUV it or Leave it.. ^_^

Yup, well said. :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

This is OFC. Love it or leave it. :canadian:

And ya know what? I'm getting tired of people coming in here every week making suggestions to try and improve what aint broke. :rolleyes:

Make yer own board if ya hate it so darn much :wallbash:

Edited by jonnybass

I don't think anyone looked at the link.. Its a good idea as far as im concerned, at least part of it. An "In Memory of.." section is in the works.. As for the posts for thoughts and prayers, I will, as long as Im here, try my dambdest to keep as much in the general discussion forum as humanly possible.. I've carped and moaned (ask the other mods) about every subsection there is.. lol.. If it was all up to me, and I didnt listen to anyone, (I value everyones input) there would only be ONE forum. But thats my opinion. I do now that if we split the board into fishing and off topic posts, it would completely change the character of the community.

It is amazing that we have been here long enough to have a "Retired Fishermen" section...

I think it really depends on how fishing impacts your life. Think about it:

If the thread is about your lawnmower and how to sharpen the blade, its really just a thread about how to get your lawn mowed faster so you can go fishing.

If its a thread about gas prices, its really just a fishing thread about how to make sure you can afford gas to get out to your fishing hole.

If its a thread about your friend's and family's and their health, its b/c time at the hospital or worse really takes away from time spent fishing, not to mention sadness makes fishing a lot less enjoyable.

If its a thread about quitting smoking, its because money saved from smokes buys tackle and fuel and maybe a fly-in trip somewhere.

If its a thread about your water heater bursting, its b/c you cant go fishing if you basement is filled with three feet of water.

If its a thread about a big buck, well thats simply about having some freezer food handy, so you can get dinner over quick and back out onto the lake for a few more casts before the sun goes down.

The reality is, life dramas big and small all relate to fishing in someway or another.