Fished L. Ontario in the cold

ehg

One of my favorite type of fishing is trolling around the big lake in mid winter.

Was surprised today to see a few others chose to do the same thing as well.

Got to destination around 3 pm and saw some ice fisherman a little yonder,

IMG_0002-5.jpg

made me think that Quinte probably had some decent ice somewhere for some walleyes.

Ended up throwing the boat in the big lake and trolled the softwater.

Caught some brown trout and white bass which were the species targeted and desired.

Here is the first and one of the smaller brown trout, buddy Dave caught.

IMG_0004-8.jpg

Here is one of the average size white bass

IMG_0011-5.jpg

It sure was a cold out there with -6 C/21 F temperatures but the trolling/casting took the chill away at times.

Ended up catching one of my better brown trouts out there which made my winter so far.

IMG_0006-6.jpg

That fish probably fought and did runs for nearly 15 minutes, by the time it was landed my hands were frozen :Gonefishing:

Thought i would post largest white bass of the day

IMG_0010-3.jpg

Just thought i'd share these photos and experience.

Cheers,

ehg

Thanks for the replies, glad you enjoyed the few pictures!

There was a few other boats out there as well, so some other folks are hardcore for fishing as well.

Did you grow up in Newfoundland or something?

Actually we both are born of French-Canadian descent; close enough though.

Excellent report, pics, and fish tough guys!!! :Gonefishing::canadian::thumbsup_anim:

Dammit man that looks COLD!!!... I'd die if I tried to do that!!! :stretcher:

I think ice fishin' has got to be cozy compared to gettin' out like that!!! :blink:

Thanks for taking the time to post that beauty report!

Ya it's colder than ice fishing due to exposure and the lack ability to move around and warm up.

Only spent 2 hours or so on the water. :canadian: :canadian:

great report as always. I'm sure you get a nice little workout taking the boat off the van and carrying it across the beach to the water, would love to see a couple of pictures where you launch next time. :thumbsup_anim:

Thanks mikeh, thought about posting pics of launching years ago when shoreline ice forced us to lower the boat down a cliff(behind me in the pic of large brown). I'll never go down the cliff again, that was too brutal and now i'm old. I think... :unsure:

Great report, great fish also. Thanks for posting this.

But.............I think you guys and the others that were out there are a half bubble off of plumb :lol: :lol:

-6C, yeaaacchh. One walleye opener a few years back, it was +1C with rain, and I got so badly cramped up I almost could not help my bud get all the gear loaded back up on the truck. Once in the truck, my lower back started to have spasms. Told him to just keep driving through my moaning. He turned up the stereo louder to drown me out, :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

Nice Brownie!

You do this little Trip every year with similar results eh?

I remember the past posts by the situation....Small Tinny in some cold but open mid winter Lake Ontario water LOL!

I admire Your persistance.

Sure its cold but if there are fish to be caught why the heck not?

Cheers,

Wow...the winter soft water reports!!! I'm not a fan of ice fishing, so I always look forward to seeing these on the board. Amazing Brown!!! Keep em coming...I'm not brave enough to put my boat in the winter yet...maybe I should get a few tips from you and give it a try!