Trying to Avoid Live Bait

Rich

I never thought the day would come when I couldn't get sunfish and perch to take an artificial offering. Been sitting on the same 2 schools of fish the last two days, watching them all day swimming up and turning away.

I've tried Gulp Alive maggots, Gulp waxies, Gulp minnows, tiny hair jigs, flies and tiny spoons. Only thing that got a couple bites was the Gulp Alive minnows, however they were too big (2.5") and they simply nipped the tail and swam away.

I'm really trying to avoid relying on live bait this ice season, but as the days go by I find myself craving a big ol' bucket of minnows more and more!

Can anybody help?

Rich how come you aren't cutting up the gulp to try smaller pieces? I find gulp live worked great until the fish went to school and learnt to avoid it this summer. I just found on smaller waters they caught on to it and it made the fishing tough when that happened. If you are fishing small ponds that might be the problem so change the shape because it sounds like they sure like the scent?

This may be old school but it worked for me when I was more of an avid ice fisherman....Local grocery store frozen section...Frozen squid cut into bite sized strips resembling a minnow...The stuff is rubbery and doesn't fall off easy and the fish seemed to like it....

Cheers !!!

All great suggestions and I thank you all! And yes I did try cutting the Gulp minnows into smaller pieces, they wouldn't even look at that lol. Will try out the other suggestions though and hopefully I'll have something to report!

Rich

Rich,

I bought the Berkley product "Gulp Alive fish fry" with the little jig heads for pan fish and to me seemed to be the right combo to get the pan fish to strike..... I haven't tried them yet but will certainly cut them in halves and give it a go B)

IMGP1694.jpg

Another product you may want to try in combination with the fry is the Berkley power paste, in yellow or pink.... it's for trout mainly but dip your jig head hook into the paste, cover it good and don't know why it wouldn't get results.

Hope this helps....

Jacques

Rich also remember that presentation is everything when panfish turn finicky,,,it may be as simple as a horizontal jig rather then vertical,,colour,deadsticking or ripping,,,i love the challenge,,,they will bite but experiment,,,i've had good luck with gulp red wax worms,,,but i really like the looks of that gulp fry!!

Rich,

I bought the Berkley product "Gulp Alive fish fry" with the little jig heads for pan fish and to me seemed to be the right combo to get the pan fish to strike..... I haven't tried them yet but will certainly cut them in halves and give it a go B)

I have tried these....THE WHITEFISH LOVED 'EM!

I might be going to a lake that holds perch tomorrow...will try 'em out and report back if i do.

Those Fish Fry things look awesome, hopefully they can live up to their name, I haven't had fresh pannies for quite some time.. haha I'll have to see if I can find them locally.

Have used live maggots and waxies in the past, and they work wonders. No doubt in my mind those bluegills would have lapped them up, but like I said I'm trying to avoid live bait.

And GCD I use 4lb ice line with a 2lb flouro lead .. I certainly hope I don't have to go lighter than that!

Those Fish Fry things look awesome, hopefully they can live up to their name, I haven't had fresh pannies for quite some time.. haha I'll have to see if I can find them locally.

Have used live maggots and waxies in the past, and they work wonders. No doubt in my mind those bluegills would have lapped them up, but like I said I'm trying to avoid live bait.

And GCD I use 4lb ice line with a 2lb flouro lead .. I certainly hope I don't have to go lighter than that!

Rich forgot to say that I bought them at Walmart and that the juice in the jar does not smell as bad as in the big bucket :lol: you can also get the power maggots and rigged them onto the tear drop jigs like those below in the top right hand corner:

IMGP1678.jpg

Jacques