Lake Trout Opener

limeyangler

Hi Y'all,

Have been eagerly awaiting Laker opening day for what seems like forever! Got out to a small local lake with a young lad i kinda mentor. Usually not my first choice for lakers, but with the lad along could not really take off to more adventurous venues. Anyway, we caught fish, the young lad caught his first laker and had an absolute blast., that really made my day.

We got our limit, and burped and returned a very small one, best one was 23", but thats a giant for Thunder Lake in my experience.

We fished a drop off in 50ft of water, most fish hitting at around 20-25', just above a cloud of baitfish that was there all day suspende between 40 and 20ft. You can see the smelt on the fisrt video clip at 40ft, this was pretty thin shaol, as when we got there they were suspended from 30 - 20 ft, a thick school ten feet deep, at first i thought it was the thermocline. I'm not even sure its smelt...but i included a pic of some of the baitfish i removed when cleaning the trout this evening...would appreciate someone telling me what they are.

Anyway, had a blast today, only managed 2 hours out, but that made it feel action packed...great for the kid....lol....and me.

Here's the vids and pics from today.

THIS LAKER JUST COULDN"T MAKE UP ITS MIND!

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i263.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid263.photobucket.com/albums/ii158/vishuscirquel/MVI_2557.flv">

SMELT?

IMG_2565.jpg

A FEW SHORT VIDS PASTED TOGETHER

<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i263.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid263.photobucket.com/albums/ii158/vishuscirquel/thunderlake010109.flv">

DIFFERENT SHOTS OF THE BEST ONE OF THE DAY

IMG_2559.jpg

IMG_2560.jpg

IMG_2561.jpg

nice colours on those simon. got another month before the season opens for me, can't wait.

natural reproduction, stocked or a combo of the two in that lake?

They are all natural as far as i know. Its only a small lake but really, really deep. Ive marked 150FOW on open water in the summer, apparently it gets deeper. Never got one over 25" though.

great lookin' trout ,, love the colours on those fish . naturals you say ? makes it all the more sweet. the lakers i've been lucky enough to ice in the south are a little lighter . those white tips really stand out ,, beautiful strain of trout .

nice report.

....I'd be happy with those results any day of the week!

Oh i was happy Spiel, just cant wait to get into some lakes with th big guys.......but like you said, i was more than happy with those results, for lakers it was pretty 'non-stop' action, in fact i can say with the exception of an afternoon on Snake Bay last January with my buddy Dave it was one of my better days out in terms of fish per minute....lol.....FPM.

Nice day Simon. Must be rough having to choose from amogst all those lakes (not jealous, noooo not at all :) )

I know, some days it really gets depressing, having to spend all that time deciding which lake, when all i want to do is get out there and fish!!!!! :wallbash::whistling:

Mr. Limeyangler:

Nice trout--having spent some time in your neck of the woods I should know where those houses on the shoreline are but alas I would'nt have a Ghost of a chance but then again I could be wrong and Thunder may strike .

Maybe next time I'll guess correctly :whistling:

Remember to leave some for seed...

Bushart

Mr. Limeyangler:

Nice trout--having spent some time in your neck of the woods I should know where those houses on the shoreline are but alas I would'nt have a Ghost of a chance but then again I could be wrong and Thunder may strike .

Maybe next time I'll guess correctly :whistling:

Remember to leave some for seed...

Bushart

LOL...i never tried Ghost Lake...heard its ok.

That's awesome Simon.. Nothing like wild lakers through the ice. Judging from the colour and the size, you wouldn't think there'd be much forage fish in that lake. And good on you for introducing the sport to others!!

I thereby place myself on your waitlist..

cheers mate!

HD