Not so great Xmas presents

bigugli

We all receive some absolutely wonderful presents at this time of year. Many thoughtful gifts posted this season.

That being said, many of us have, I'm sure, received some not so stellar gifts at times. Tacky ties, 6/0 Aberdeens, bargain bin leftovers. I know that I have received a few headshakers, I just never let on that it is a lemon.

This year was no exception. I got a 5'6'' casting rod in combo with a Mitchell U/L spinning reel. Again, its one of those gifts that had all the best intentions, even if the sales person did not. I will, of course, be a good sport and use the combo. The thought counts and I would not want to downplay or diminish the gift givers intentions.

Hard to comment because it is unkown who gave it to you.

Some people buy gift X just for the sake of buying a gift. Sometimes they do the best they can. Fishing is hard to buy for unless you leave lots of clues.

My mom bought me a fly fishng rod once. It was not cheap, she paid too much and I used it only a few times because it did not suit my application.

Last year she got me something for several hundred dollars....its sitting in the closet unopened...what a waste. I think she would feel better if I was able to exchange it for something else.

Exchange it for something that will work for you fishing related.....most people could appreciate that.

forrest

Hard to comment because it is unkown who gave it to you.

Some people buy gift X just for the sake of buying a gift. Sometimes they do the best they can. Fishing is hard to buy for unless you leave lots of clues.

My mom bought me a fly fishng rod once. It was not cheap, she paid too much and I used it only a few times because it did not suit my application.

Last year she got me something for several hundred dollars....its sitting in the closet unopened...what a waste. I think she would feel better if I was able to exchange it for something else.

Exchange it for something that will work for you fishing related.....most people could appreciate that.

forrest

When the gift is coming from an adult it's not too difficlt to return/exchange a gift. ( except not always the Mrs) A gift from a child, nephew, neighbour kid, etc.. is a totally different story. The only thing that matters is the thought, and the ownership/ pride that goes with it. I will never willingly do anything that is going to diminish a childs pride/ satisfaction in knowing they did something good.

That is a lesson I learned very quickly as a cubmaster. You reward the effort today, and encourage a better result tomorrow. Some of the kids that once gave old packs of fishing hooks are now the adults who send me cognac which we share on fishing trips.

As for gifts from parents, what does one say to a mother without getting a guilt trip when its not the right thing?

Edited by bigugli

As for gifts from parents, what does one say to a mother without getting a guilt trip when its not the right thing?

Mom, would you be upset if I donated this to the *insert word here* because I have this and I want someone else to enjoy it too.

I think that next year, Sugarpacket should start a secret shopper service for the OFC spouses & family members.

Glen, there's only one thing to do with 40 t-shirts...fashion model. Take em all with you one day, and put on a new shirt for each photo. :lol:

I'll take that combo off your hands Bruce if u sell it to me for a decent price. :thumbsup_anim:

Just like someone said, tell your Mum that u already have a couple of good combos and u can use the moola for it to buy more lures.

I know you've had probs with Mitchell's before and some stuff doesn't last for the amount of fishing u do. If I remember right, u got a brand new Flueger baitcaster last X-mas and returned it for repairs.

They just don't make stuff to last like they used to. :dunno:

We all receive some absolutely wonderful presents at this time of year. Many thoughtful gifts posted this season.

That being said, many of us have, I'm sure, received some not so stellar gifts at times. Tacky ties, 6/0 Aberdeens, bargain bin leftovers. I know that I have received a few headshakers, I just never let on that it is a lemon.

This year was no exception. I got a 5'6'' casting rod in combo with a Mitchell U/L spinning reel. Again, its one of those gifts that had all the best intentions, even if the sales person did not. I will, of course, be a good sport and use the combo. The thought counts and I would not want to downplay or diminish the gift givers intentions.

Wuts wrong with the Mitchell set up its just as good as a St Croix or G-Loomis lol

Yeah, I got a "Live Release" gaff! :blink:

That I'd have to see. :blink: Live release you say?

"Wuts wrong with the Mitchell set up its just as good as a St Croix or G-Loomis lol"

It's how a spinning reel got paired with a trigger grip caster rod. As said before, the sales person saw the kid coming. The kid's heart was in the right place, and in that light I will, of course, use the combo for panfishing.

Actually the intent of the thread was not to gripe but to look at some of the odder gifts we receive. I think the Dawg and Clampit got the idea.

Edited by bigugli

What ever happened to appreciating the gift you recieve? :dunno:

If I send you a pink hat with a rainbow on it as a present are you going to wear it on the lake for the day? :clapping: My feelings might be hurt if you do not.

There is a difference between appreciating the gift (an item) and appreciating the person. The latter is more important and goes 2 ways.

forrest