Scared the bejezzers out of me

misfish

A few were 4 to 5 feet tall at the shoulders. Beautiful animals. Kill a beautiful animal for what reason? Wish I had a camera back then.

Okay, now I know for sure you guys are growing something wacky up there...4 feet I can believe if I drink a six pack, but 5 feet, there ain't nuff beer in TBay to make that happen. :whistling: The last lion I saw wasn't no where near that big.

Okay, now I know for sure you guys are growing something wacky up there...4 feet I can believe if I drink a six pack, but 5 feet, there ain't nuff beer in TBay to make that happen. :whistling: The last lion I saw wasn't no where near that big.

Read my post before your next 6 pack.

lol, this is quite the comical read :)

This wild dog business is news to me, and I thaught I knew a bit about the Canadian wilderness.

Watch out Dozer. They're out there and they'll track you down and rip you to shreds before you know what happened. The closer to Toronto that you live, the more likely that you'll get attacked.

Lions and Tigers and Bears. Oh my....

Brian *click* is all I've got to say and I've had dogs around me my whole life. When in doubt - Charlie out.

to bad the Inn is gone in town eh? ;):D :D

I bet you know my bro-in-law if you live there as it's such a close town and he's been there for many years.

Read my post before your next 6 pack.

Okay, I re read it, it seems that you say that some (wovles) are 4-5 feet tall at the shoulders, to me that means when it's standing on its 4 legs, it would measure 4-5' high at the shoulder, or do you mean if it stands on its hind legs, front paws up, it would be 4-5 feet high?

Okay, I re read it, it seems that you say that some (wovles) are 4-5 feet tall at the shoulders, to me that means when it's standing on its 4 legs, it would measure 4-5' high at the shoulder, or do you mean if it stands on its hind legs, front paws up, it would be 4-5 feet high?

I gather he means on 2 legs rather then 4 as my 80LB LAB is 4' to 5' when she is up on 2 legs.

Edited by GBW

Well, wolves can get pretty damn big.

Some wolves from "northern" regions grow to over 150 lbs!

...and in terms of "wolf attacks", theres been a few reported. If my mind serves me right, in North America there has been no deaths by wolves, or possibly only 1 which isn't even confirmed being a wolf.

Wolves are dope!

I understand the fear of a bunch of dogs running at you....i would be scared as well. At that moment.

No idea about wild dogs. Your example is from a native reserve near in a very barren area where a pack of starving dogs attacked a child. Not sure its the same....but like i said -- know nothing about wild dogs.

My point is -- no one should be afraid of wolves. This isn't a Jack London book.

But again -- if i were the original poster i'd have been alarmed as well.

Edited by cram

4 to 5 feet tall at the shoulder. Just curious here. How tall at the shoulder would the highest wolf be that you've seen on the Hudson Bay shore?

4 to 5 feet tall at the shoulder. Just curious here. How tall at the shoulder would the highest wolf be that you've seen on the Hudson Bay shore?

Haven't been to Hudson Bay this weeks, just can't fit it into my schedule :whistling: , but, we do have some wolves in our range area, definitely no more than 26-28" high at the shoulder on 4 feet. A little more research puts the average at 36" with the odd rare one a little bigger. With that, I'm letting this one die out.

If they were CoyDogs or yotes. i would of shot them since your Deer hunt is pretty much over.

Is there still a Shotgun hunt open this time of year? I thought that area only had an early NOV hunt and a early Dec Muzzleloader...everything else is BOW.

First week of Dec is the shotgun hunt buck only.

Brian... you still hiding under the bed... ???

No Wayne,betty took me by the hand and told me everything would be ok. :asshat::thumbsup_anim:

Well I guess ya,ll just had to be there in me boots to see this.

Alex,I,ll take the 3 S,s for 1000 please. :canadian:

Just curious,how many of you that responded,hunt?

Thanks for your input.

Edited by misfish

Haven't been to Hudson Bay this weeks, just can't fit it into my schedule :whistling: , but, we do have some wolves in our range area, definitely no more than 26-28" high at the shoulder on 4 feet. A little more research puts the average at 36" with the odd rare one a little bigger. With that, I'm letting this one die out.

I think your talking coyotes, a wolf is massive, unless you have seen a REAL wolf in the wild you wont understand how big they can get, and the farther north you go the bigger they are, a wolf pelt from the tip of his nose to his tail can reach 10-12 feet, they are alot bigger then you think.

Finally got to get out for an afternoon hunt for the brown fur animal. Get there and I could only get about 50 yards in due to the snow getting heavy with the warmer temps. I start walking the lane in and there are tracks everywhere. Fresh as fresh could be. It would seem I was probly an hour or so to late to catch them in the field as the tracks went out to the field and they came right back out.

(buddy at work said he,s been finding the same thing were he is,the anmails seem to be hitting the fields in the afternoon)There were about 6 sets of tracks through out the lane that did this.There is a big brute there as this one track was HUGE.

I figured I would set up on the fence line that leads from the thick greens,through an opening which went into the field.Maybe catch the big boy heading out again.

Would like to thank all the replies about the clothing. I was toasty warm.

Anyways,I sat from 2 pm til 5 then thats when I had the bejezzers scared out of me. I heard some rustling going on just inside the bush,so I decided to do some grunting. Holy crapolla,these wild dogs came out a yelpping and hollowing. I took a bead on the biggest one of all. They yelped and hollowed for about 5 minutes. I thought for sure they were going to head for me,but thankfully they ran off. I,ll tell ya,I have never been so close to crapp,n me pants after that.

Anyone else ever have this happen? Would they attack? Is it against the law to shoot them? If not,i,ll be taking them out when I can.

The exact same thing happend to me last winter. I was alone with only a hachet for a weapon so I got out of there as quick as I could. I talked to some people about it afterwards and was told that farm dogs get into large packs at night and take down large animals for sport. That sent a shiver down my spine.

Edited by DANIMAL

I do know wolves can get big...a lot bigger than an 80 lb dog. 4-5 feet at the shoulder for a wolf...no problem.

Actually....there was a wolf attack at Kathryns Cove just south of here a few summers ago. Tests were done and the animal was sick.

That was a big wolf too.

Edited by anders

Just curious,how many of you that responded,hunt?

Thanks for your input.

I don't, but spend a LOT of time backwoods camping (with wolves remarkably close by one time this fall) and wolves have never been a concern. And never will. There are lots at my parents place up north as well....coming out of algonquin park. Never ever a concern except for the nearby farmers who lose some livestock.

Dog packs - I have heard stories about them killing animals for fun (versus eating, which is what wolves do) but have never heard of htem hunting down a person. But, i don't know that it doesn't happen.

Killing coyotes because you're deer hunting sounds just dumb to me. Really dumb.